Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW Maintenance Program Is A Joke

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Octo' post='499358' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:10 PM
I recently had a low oil level warning. I called my local dealership and the service advisor said just bring it down and we'll top it off. I went down there and the guy who checks you in said I needed to go to the parts counter. I went there thinking they would just give me a quart of oil. I come to find out I had to pay for the oil. I told the parts counter employee that my car was still under warranty. He said topping off the oil was not covered. He did say oil changes were. I told him I wanted an oil change. He said your car will let you know when you need an oil change and they wouldn't cover it under warranty otherwise.

I went home and emailed BMW North America. They responded a few days later and told me oil changes were covered after 15000 miles. If I had the car for over a year, but did not drive enough to get 15000, they would cover a oil change that way too. But, they said if I wanted an oil change before 15000 or before one year, they would not cover that. They also said they did not cover topping off the oil. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but BMW advertises their maintenace program like it was a gift from God. Worry free they say. I'm mean they'll replace your wiper blades, but a quart of oil, No Sir. What if I knew nothing about a car. Would I then have to pay for the oil, but also pay someone to add it for me. How ridiculous is that.

Perhaps I didn't read the fine print, but it seems to me that they could afford to cover a customer for one quart of oil. I guess BMW Maintenance Program isn't so worry free after all. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similiar problem. If so, perhaps BMW should be sued for false advertising.
That is totally rediculous. I've stopped at my dealer several times for top off's after low oil warings and they have always simply topped it off. No questions, no paperwork, no having to pull into Service. They do it right where you pull the car up outside where the service writers sit.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Octo' post='499358' date='Nov 27 2007, 12:10 AM
I recently had a low oil level warning. I called my local dealership and the service advisor said just bring it down and we'll top it off. I went down there and the guy who checks you in said I needed to go to the parts counter. I went there thinking they would just give me a quart of oil. I come to find out I had to pay for the oil. I told the parts counter employee that my car was still under warranty. He said topping off the oil was not covered. He did say oil changes were. I told him I wanted an oil change. He said your car will let you know when you need an oil change and they wouldn't cover it under warranty otherwise.

I went home and emailed BMW North America. They responded a few days later and told me oil changes were covered after 15000 miles. If I had the car for over a year, but did not drive enough to get 15000, they would cover a oil change that way too. But, they said if I wanted an oil change before 15000 or before one year, they would not cover that. They also said they did not cover topping off the oil. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but BMW advertises their maintenace program like it was a gift from God. Worry free they say. I'm mean they'll replace your wiper blades, but a quart of oil, No Sir. What if I knew nothing about a car. Would I then have to pay for the oil, but also pay someone to add it for me. How ridiculous is that.

Perhaps I didn't read the fine print, but it seems to me that they could afford to cover a customer for one quart of oil. I guess BMW Maintenance Program isn't so worry free after all. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similiar problem. If so, perhaps BMW should be sued for false advertising.
Perhaps you would like to purchase any other vehicle and have to pay for everything, including oil top offs and washer solvent. Topping off the oil is just like checking your tire pressures, which should be done on a regular basis, and if you don't know how to do it then why would you expect it for free?? If I don't know how to maintain something myself then I have to pay for it. If a quart of oil is too much for you to pay for then maybe you shouldn't be driving a BMW.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Contributors

Drain the oil. Drive the car until the engine siezes and blows up. Have it towed back to the dealer. Say "You know how I told you the oil was low but you wouldn't top it up....?". Have a free new engine, and a lovely smug feeling in side.

Note, make sure it's not obvious the oil has been drained
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWSTROKE' post='499477' date='Nov 27 2007, 07:00 AM
Perhaps you would like to purchase any other vehicle and have to pay for everything, including oil top offs and washer solvent. Topping off the oil is just like checking your tire pressures, which should be done on a regular basis, and if you don't know how to do it then why would you expect it for free?? If I don't know how to maintain something myself then I have to pay for it. If a quart of oil is too much for you to pay for then maybe you shouldn't be driving a BMW.
It's not about how much it costs, it is the principle about what these so called "magical worry free maintenance packages" actually offer.

I have _NEVER_ topped up my oil, checked my air pressure, etc (with the exception of my last E60 which developed a slow puncture just before I sold it, so I kept topping it up rather than buy a new tyre!!) in any car I've ever owned. I can just about top up the wiper washer fluid, but anything more than that and I'm going to the dealer!

Seriously, I would not even know how to check my oil level. I know there is a stick somewhere but wouldn't know where or what to do with it!!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='499383' date='Nov 27 2007, 12:12 AM
now you know why I never join there Maintenance Program.
It just a rip off and sucks.

Not a question of joining. It?s included for four years at no charge. The OP is just disappointed in the extent of its coverage.

I echo others?sentiments in that the dealer sounds like it was not terribly interested in good customer service as a top-off is something most would do.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='499485' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:43 AM
Drain the oil. Drive the car until the engine siezes and blows up. Have it towed back to the dealer. Say "You know how I told you the oil was low but you wouldn't top it up....?". Have a free new engine, and a lovely smug feeling in side.

Note, make sure it's not obvious the oil has been drained
Yeah, thats a great idea!! That way the prices of the vehicles keep going up because of bright ideas like that. You don't think the manufacturer gets their money back one way or another. It's people like you that keep driving the prices of things up. Just like people that sue over their own stupidity.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

It is really dumb on the dealers part to not take care of you. When my low coolant light came on, I went to the dealer, said I had a warning light on the cooling system, and they added coolant to make the light go away. It could have been a leaking hose that made the coolant low and the light come on, but it wasn't - just needed a little top off. Maybe you should have asked them how they were going to make the low oil warning light go away. You wouldn't know if you had an oil leak or just a little oil burn off on a newer engine breaking in. If the only way to make the oil light go off was to add oil, I think that would be on them under warranty. I think they should respond to warning lights and take corrective action to fix whatever caused the light to come on. If the light hadn't come on, and you just discovered that you were a little low on oil, that might be a different story. But, you had a warning light indicating something was wrong.

I think I agree with everyone else - find another dealer.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='499506' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:29 AM
It is really dumb on the dealers part to not take care of you. When my low coolant light came on, I went to the dealer, said I had a warning light on the cooling system, and they added coolant to make the light go away. It could have been a leaking hose that made the coolant low and the light come on, but it wasn't - just needed a little top off. Maybe you should have asked them how they were going to make the low oil warning light go away. You wouldn't know if you had an oil leak or just a little oil burn off on a newer engine breaking in. If the only way to make the oil light go off was to add oil, I think that would be on them under warranty. I think they should respond to warning lights and take corrective action to fix whatever caused the light to come on. If the light hadn't come on, and you just discovered that you were a little low on oil, that might be a different story. But, you had a warning light indicating something was wrong.

I think I agree with everyone else - find another dealer.
I agree you need to find another dealer. However, I would still recommend sending an email to the General Manager letting him know what happened. Sometimes someone just needs to be fired. It is the whole employee mentality vs owner mentality thing. I recently had a problem at a BMW authorized collision center. An employee was being a real jerk to me. I let the owner of the company know and he rolled out the red carpet and went above and beyond the call of duty.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='499491' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:18 PM
Not a question of joining. It?s included for four years at no charge. The OP is just disappointed in the extent of its coverage.

I echo others?sentiments in that the dealer sounds like it was not terribly interested in good customer service as a top-off is something most would do.
I know he not saying he join or not
well not for 4 years for HK it not.
2nd year need to join and cost over $1800us for 1 year and 2nd year over $2500
so it sucks.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='499509' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:44 PM
I agree you need to find another dealer. However, I would still recommend sending an email to the General Manager letting him know what happened. Sometimes someone just needs to be fired. It is the whole employee mentality vs owner mentality thing. I recently had a problem at a BMW authorized collision center. An employee was being a real jerk to me. I let the owner of the company know and he rolled out the red carpet and went above and beyond the call of duty.
+1 tell the General Manager that there staff suck and not just fire that person but shuve a bottle of oil up there AS*

Quick Reply: BMW Maintenance Program Is A Joke