Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

BMW Insured Warranty (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

My MY2004 is coming to the end of its Dealer Extended Warranty. As is customary, BMW UK have sent through their Insured Warranty Renewal papers.
You may know there are 3 levels of cover Comprehensive, Named Component and Driveline. More details here:

http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Pages/Inform...htm&popup=1

I logged onto their website and started reading their policy booklet. I was intrigued to find the following clauses:

BMW Insured Warranty (UK)-insured_warranty.jpg

BMW Insured Warranty (UK)-insured_warranty1.jpg

My question is, how is this defined. My car has 72,000 miles on the clock; how am I supposed to know if a certain item is covered or not ?

Does anyone have experience of this ?

I am also aware of a warranty from warranty direct which has a similar, but (on the face of it) less restrictive wear and tear exclusion as shown below, because they don't exclude the item entirely, but expect you to pay a contribution to parts.

BMW Insured Warranty (UK)-warranty_direct.jpg

Can anyone offer any advice on this matter ?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Although you shouldn't always go entirely on price, get a quote from BMW and then Warranty Direct and do the Maths!!!

In my case the BMW was about 4 times the Warranty Direct one. No contest, particularly as I'd had a BMW one previously, and been caught out by one of the clauses and had to pay out (not much admittedly).

At risk of repeating myself, get a WD quote (or from one of the other aftermarket providers, but WD seems to be the best of a bad bunch), wait a week or so - they'll phone up with a better offer and probably 13 months for 12 as well. Do this before your existing warranty runs out so you don't fall foul of the run in period where you can't make a claim. (I paid a ?30 deposit 3 months before my BMW warranty expired, for the WD policy to start 3 months hence - they took the balance out on the policy start date).

Mike
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='801442' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:33 PM
Although you shouldn't always go entirely on price, get a quote from BMW and then Warranty Direct and do the Maths!!!

In my case the BMW was about 4 times the Warranty Direct one. No contest, particularly as I'd had a BMW one previously, and been caught out by one of the clauses and had to pay out (not much admittedly).

At risk of repeating myself, get a WD quote (or from one of the other aftermarket providers, but WD seems to be the best of a bad bunch), wait a week or so - they'll phone up with a better offer and probably 13 months for 12 as well. Do this before your existing warranty runs out so you don't fall foul of the run in period where you can't make a claim. (I paid a ?30 deposit 3 months before my BMW warranty expired, for the WD policy to start 3 months hence - they took the balance out on the policy start date).

Mike
Thanks Mike

But can you tell me more about how BMW apply their wear & tear policy. It seems a bit more 'smoke & mirrors' than the WD one.
Also, any good experiences with WD ?

Cheers.