5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   Anyone else happy they DID NOT get Navigation with e60? (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/anyone-else-happy-they-did-not-get-navigation-e60-25590/)

wmbiii 05-10-2006 10:05 AM

I did not get NAV with my new 550. There are many reasons, in no particular order:

I would not use it for finding locations; I can use mapqwest before leaving office for appointment if necessary; (Obviously I am in the minority on this one).
I didn't like the DVD slot below CD slot, and liked the way the console looked without it;
I didn't like the split screen between NAV and iDrive;
I bought a sports sedan, with 6 speed manual transmission, and wanted to keep it relatively simple knowing if I decide to get rid of it in 4+ years, whatever NAV that is available now will be obsolete (think "touch screen" NAV like Lexus);
Reliability of NAV and updates from BMW seem to be an issue.

From a technical perspective, and the main reason I told myself not to get NAV option: Eventually my Treo, or other handheld device, will have sophisticated and useful NAV options, making NAV in car a bit obsolete.

Bottom line is I live without it, saved some money, and don't miss it. It seems very popular with most on forum, as does HUD. But my opinion for someone looking at e60 options, you can live without it.

Just my two cents. :whistle:

nickolas_g 05-10-2006 10:16 AM

I am a geek. I love technology. I work in the Tech Industry and have written code. But on my past three cars I have specifically not wanted navigation.

This is not to say that I am an avid fan of GPS navigation. I own a Garmin Street Pilot and love it. It is which the pace of technology changes. I hold my cars for a long time and do not want to fiddle with updating the Nav system and worry what it will look like three or six years from now.

Granted having the Garmin on the dash is not as elegant as in the dash but this is something I can live with. I dont always use it or need it.

GPS nav systems have a bit of a way to go before I have one planted in my dash of my car in my opinion.

Yup I am glad I ordered my 530i without the Nav :thumbsup:

jet190rs 05-10-2006 10:17 AM

idrive is also faster without nav.

i love my nav though.

Ricracing 05-10-2006 10:21 AM

I know my way around this country.

I simply just do not need the nav.

And if I really need it, I have a program
in my cell that does the job.

JeffNNJ 05-10-2006 10:23 AM

I am one of those people who gets lost walking from his bed to the bathroom so I need it. Matter of fact, I told the guy who sold me my M3 that if I absolutely had to choose, I would take nav over a/c. I use it ALL THE TIME. Several times a week in fact. Yesterday I actually used it twice.

Klepper 05-10-2006 10:24 AM

I am neutral on the NAV. I used a streetpilot for a few years before I bought this car, and I loved the functionality, but hated the look (suction cup, dash mount, etc.) and hated taking it down and putting it up all the time. I like the look of the NAV in my e60 and the big screen, but hate the functionality. It would seem to be very easy to add functionality to the NAV with software updates, so I hope that fix comes from BMW.

xBMWx 05-10-2006 10:29 AM

I wouldn't have ordered a NAV system with the car because of the reasons already mentioned by the others above, but as it was part of the co. car leasing "business package", it comes automatically.
Not sure what it's like in the US, but in Germany not having a NAV in a 5 series will typically either make selling the car more difficult or decrease the resale value, which is why a lot of people go for it. It also explains why BMW give you nice discounts if you opt for the "business pack" when leasing, which is nice :)

Tommy 05-10-2006 10:32 AM

Initially I was not convinced to take the NAV, but my wife somehow told me to take it as I tend to miss an exit or a left or right turn once in a while and any aftermarket solution would look not so tidy and I would not need to go through the trouble of stowing it away to avoid open invitation for burglers and window smashers. I got convinced on the last argument as my sister had here car broken into just to find that the wires (since she had taken the gps out) were stolen !!!

OK, now that I have it, I would not want to miss it as it gives not only some type of entertainment value in terms of street names but it does also lead you dynamically around traffic jams in places never heard off. Reaction and recalculation is very fast
I only have my car for 5 weeks now, but I must have saved already quite some time and mileage of not sitting in traffic jams. Of course, the regular daily traffic congestion, I know better than the gps, but that is only a small part

Only minus point I find is the price ( and yes, there can never be enough features on gps)

nbusbridge 05-10-2006 10:32 AM

If money were no object I would have had Nav, just 'cos it would be nice to have it integrated.

However, I'm just as happy (and richer) without it.
Mostly - I like the fact that I can easily add speed camera locations to my PDA-based setup.
I know it can be done with the BMW system, but it's either expensive (per update) or hard work.
(Cost's me GBP16/year to keep my PDA upto date.)

wmbiii 05-10-2006 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='280537' date='May 10 2006, 02:23 PM
I am one of those people who gets lost walking from his bed to the bathroom so I need it. Matter of fact, I told the guy who sold me my M3 that if I absolutely had to choose, I would take nav over a/c. I use it ALL THE TIME. Several times a week in fact. Yesterday I actually used it twice.

You sound like my wife; she'll be getting Nav in her next Volvo for sure. She can get lost on our street!

Mark Romero 05-10-2006 10:36 AM

I couldn't live without nav in Germany. Definitely a must have.

wmbiii 05-10-2006 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy' post='280543' date='May 10 2006, 02:32 PM
...but it does also lead you dynamically around traffic jams in places never heard off...

Actually that is a VERY important part of NAV. I was not aware BMW had the traffic jam option like Acura did. Very cool.

xBMWx 05-10-2006 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='280544' date='May 10 2006, 08:32 PM
If money were no object I would have had Nav, just 'cos it would be nice to have it integrated.

However, I'm just as happy (and richer) without it.
Mostly - I like the fact that I can easily add speed camera locations to my PDA-based setup.
I know it can be done with the BMW system, but it's either expensive (per update) or hard work.
(Cost's me GBP16/year to keep my PDA upto date.)

Speed camera locations - now that I do need, especially when travelling through the Netherlands - they're worse than the paparazi!

When you say it can be done with the BMW system, does mean you need to have ordered the "BMW online" option?

aybeesea 05-10-2006 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='280544' date='May 10 2006, 07:32 PM
I can easily add speed camera locations to my PDA-based setup.
I know it can be done with the BMW system

Can it? Can you give me a link?

ABC

JWBMW 05-10-2006 10:53 AM

I did not go for the NAV as a matter of principle. ?1500 - ?2000 is extortionate and a money spinner for the dealers. I do not have a high end model so resale value should not be adversly affected.

I bought my wife a TOMTOM 700 for a fraction of any manufacturers price and it works very well. It guides around traffic jams, has weather updates and speed camera warnings plus navigation by post (zip) code and maps for most of Western Europe all on the hard drive with cheap yearly updates. :think:

If going on a long trip and am allowed to borrow the TOMTOM, I use the TOMTOM alternative mounting kit to clip the device onto an air vent which is much better than the suction devices for the windscreen.

This solution is equally good and can be swapped between my 5 er and the good lady's mini cooper cabriolet saving ?1000's over 3 years of ownership. :think:

nbusbridge 05-10-2006 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='280561' date='May 10 2006, 01:53 PM
I did not go for the NAV as a matter of principle. ?1500 - ?2000 is extortionate and a money spinner for the dealers. I do not have a high end model so resale value should not be adversly affected.

I bought my wife a TOMTOM 700 for a fraction of any manufacturers price and it works very well. It guides around traffic jams, has weather updates and speed camera warnings plus navigation by post (zip) code and maps for most of Western Europe all on the hard drive with cheap yearly updates. :think:

If going on a long trip and am allowed to borrow the TOMTOM, I use the TOMTOM alternative mounting kit to clip the device onto an air vent which is much better than the suction devices for the windscreen.

This solution is equally good and can be swapped between my 5 er and the good lady's mini cooper cabriolet saving ?1000's over 3 years of ownership. :think:

Exactly :thumbsup:

gIzzE 05-10-2006 10:56 AM

I love Nav, never really use it to get to places but ue it a hell of a lot to get out of places, when there is heavy traffic I can cut down back roads and always find my way back quickly, beats sitting in james.

There are hacks for adding Camera positions, Bruce Miranda I think it is is doing them, search for the post and look in the classifieds. :thumbsup:

nbusbridge 05-10-2006 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='280556' date='May 10 2006, 01:49 PM
Can it? Can you give me a link?

ABC

Here you go
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...?t=6727&page=2

regards
Nick

aybeesea 05-10-2006 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='280561' date='May 10 2006, 07:53 PM
It guides around traffic jams, has weather updates

<snip>

How much does the guiding around traffic jams and weather updates cost over 3 years of ownership?

ABC

JWBMW 05-10-2006 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='280565' date='May 10 2006, 07:57 PM
How much does the guiding around traffic jams and weather updates cost over 3 years of ownership?

ABC

Approimately ?50/year for each service depending on the ?/euro exchange rate but I have weather on free trial at present.

aybeesea 05-10-2006 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by nbusbridge' post='280564' date='May 10 2006, 07:56 PM

I appreciate it. And as you said COMPLEX!

Best wishes,

ABC

aybeesea 05-10-2006 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='280567' date='May 10 2006, 08:01 PM
Approimately ?50/year for each service depending on the ?/euro exchange rate but I have weather on free trial at present.

Isn't that plus GSM data costs?

And so it goes...

ABC

ats77 05-10-2006 11:05 AM

I got TomTom Go 700 Bluetooth cost 700? while as only dumb Bt for BMW costs 800? + 3000 for the Nav.

not for me. Still I got the HUD and luv that :thumbsup:

JWBMW 05-10-2006 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='280570' date='May 10 2006, 08:03 PM
Isn't that plus GSM data costs?

And so it goes...

ABC

Yes, but :

a) I have a company phone
b)You can decide on the frequency of traffic updates for your route

We are not talking big bucks here and relatively small data transfer for your specific route. Would be suprised if the GPRS costs matched the information fee over the course of a year for the casual use I indicated.

And by the way this saved me from over a 2 hour delay twice in the last month due to accidents closing motorways :P

EBMCS03 05-10-2006 11:15 AM

I didnt get NAV either. But I dont know if I can say I'm "happy" that i didnt. but it doesnt really bother me. there are pluses and minuses with and w.out nav.

With Nav you get
obviously Navigational guideance,
MP3 capability,
force feedback idrive wheel,
voice commands
larger iDrive screen

Reasons why I didnt get it.
I wanted to keep the price down on the car,
I dont use NAV that much,
I too like looking up where i'm going before hand to get a general idea instead of going in blind.
I have a portable NAV system already.

And after I found out that w/out NAV the iDrive responds a lot faster which I like!!

speedracerF4i 05-10-2006 11:18 AM

I picked up my car in Germany, and had planned many trips in that country, so Nav was essential to me.

Back here in U.S., I probably use it 2 time a month to get to a location. Most importantly, I oftenly use the map screen to re-route my trip due to changes in traffic condition.

Lastly, Nav equipped car will sell faster or have a little higher re-sell value when selling it in the future.

I would definitely order it again.

aybeesea 05-10-2006 11:25 AM

Without NAV, the navigational experience in Europe and USA is entirely different.

ABC

new-kid 05-10-2006 12:43 PM

In countries with corners, using the map with "heading up" mode at all times is great as it
(a) gives advance warning of sharp bends coming up, and
(b) allows early positioning for possible overtaking if a decent straight is coming up around the bend
Navigation routing is very much the secondary benefit

Nova Invicta 05-10-2006 02:10 PM

The Nav depending on what you select is ?1.5K to ?2K here in the UK, I doubt very much that you will get that much as a mark-up at re-sale time. A good touch screen Nav like the Sony Nuvi 350 is small, configurable & transferable between cars and at under ? 400 can be replaced a lot cheaper & easier than a costly built-in unit that is not as good.
The PDA Nav systems like the Dell one that uses Navteq data are poor Nav systems and not worth the money. If BMW or any car maker for that matter charges reasonable money then more people would clearly get built in units, as it stands now they are expensive and not as good as the dedicated Nav makers.

jet190rs 05-10-2006 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='280549' date='May 10 2006, 02:36 PM
Actually that is a VERY important part of NAV. I was not aware BMW had the traffic jam option like Acura did. Very cool.

FYI I drove the Acura RL and used its NAV with Real-Time Traffic Updates. I thought it SUCKED.

It only shows traffic for major interstate highways. No data for city streets. The way it indicates traffic isn't that helpful - just 2 colors red and yellow. It doesn't change colors for a section of a highway, so you can't tell if the highway is only congested up to a certain exit or if the entire highway is congested. Although I didn't get to play with it for that long, I don't believe it can reroute you if you want to avoid a congested highway.

So lots of limitations in that Acura system. I hear NAV systems in EU and Asia are much better integrated with real time traffic info...

swajames 05-10-2006 02:23 PM

I guess it's possible to rationalize the decision to buy or not buy virtually any of the options on the list. For me, Nav was something I wanted and it's the integration that's key. Hear what some of you guys are saying about cheaper alternatives but I just don't feel I could suction cup an aftermarket unit onto the windscreen on a premium car like my 545 or a 550 (or any E60). The integration and bigger display are worth the cost for me, my wife had her aftermarket unit stolen from her car and that's never going to happen with the factory fit. Plus, Nav is one of those things that you will most acutely miss the first time your late or lost and for one reason or another you don't have your portable unit with you.

my530i 05-10-2006 02:30 PM

After having a chance to drive car with nav, I think I don't want BMW nav system. Slow i-Drive significantly, and showed me that I'm off road :D

Chi-Town Racing 05-10-2006 02:33 PM

I was not a big fan of BMW's Nav system, so I did not order it.

I have Bluetooth Nav through my PDA/Phone. It is outstanding as far as performance goes. The PDA is also touch screen, which personally I think is very useful with any Nav program.

mr_grinche 05-10-2006 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='280525' date='May 10 2006, 07:05 PM
I did not get NAV with my new 550. There are many reasons, in no particular order:

I would not use it for finding locations; I can use mapqwest before leaving office for appointment if necessary; (Obviously I am in the minority on this one).
I didn't like the DVD slot below CD slot, and liked the way the console looked without it;
I didn't like the split screen between NAV and iDrive;
I bought a sports sedan, with 6 speed manual transmission, and wanted to keep it relatively simple knowing if I decide to get rid of it in 4+ years, whatever NAV that is available now will be obsolete (think "touch screen" NAV like Lexus);
Reliability of NAV and updates from BMW seem to be an issue.

From a technical perspective, and the main reason I told myself not to get NAV option: Eventually my Treo, or other handheld device, will have sophisticated and useful NAV options, making NAV in car a bit obsolete.

Bottom line is I live without it, saved some money, and don't miss it. It seems very popular with most on forum, as does HUD. But my opinion for someone looking at e60 options, you can live without it.

Just my two cents. :whistle:

We are all blokes here and love playing with gadgets. Sat Nav in Ireland cost about E4500, which is absolutely outrageous when you can buy a pda with tom tom software from DEll for E350. Also as Ireland is not the biggest metropolis in the world why would you get this when it actually hard to get lost!!

I had it on a loaner car and it was less than impressive after 30 mins or so.

rollee 05-10-2006 03:04 PM

i have no BMW nav.
1st reason its cost, i can get really really nice wheels/tires with the money saved.

2nd i have garmin street pilot GPS (plug & play) shared among my cars, it is a better system than BMW's own. faster, accurate and comes with a few bells and whistles (colour sceme/voice/places of interest/map movement etc).
from experience any GPS will fail among tall concrete office towers in urban downtown centers.

3rd i only need GPS a few times a month and i find mapquest directions download to my PDA very convenient.

4. idrive is more responsive without nav.

the only plus i see with navBMW is its flushed look into the dash, purely cosmetic. However i prefer the European only small nav (2" sq screen located in between the tach). very cute. too bad its not here in north america.

amigo525 05-10-2006 03:17 PM

I have a nav system did not need a second one.

I have maps.yahoo.com. Oppss...sorry..

I am bias but I dont have one

omi7 05-10-2006 03:23 PM

One more plus for non-Nav E60s ... an easily accessible compartment for sunglasses/ipod! (I hate the clunky center console)

gIzzE 05-10-2006 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by omi7' post='280701' date='May 11 2006, 12:23 AM
One more plus for non-Nav E60s ... an easily accessible compartment for sunglasses/ipod! (I hate the clunky center console)

CD changer is a must imho and that is a ?300 option, Bluetooth is also a must and that is a ?550 option, Voice control makes the I-Drive a breeze and that is a ?250 option. That is ?1100, the media package is ?2100 making the Nav prof. an extra ?1000.

BMW are currently offering between ?1000 and ?1500 less for cars without the media package on 535d's come trade in. So whoever says you will see no return is talking cobblers.
When I was looking for a 535d M-Sport Touring I found one dealer who had 2, both 6 months old with leather, one was black and had media package and 9k miles on it and that was ?36k, the other one was silver grey with no media package, just bluetooth and only 3k miles on it and they would let that go for ?33k. I think that says it all.

I am sure it is probably less important with the 520d, 523i, 525i and 525d, but on the bigger cars I think it is expected nowadays.

kmslo530i 05-10-2006 03:41 PM

well...here's the thing...I'm a guy, so by nature I already know where I'm going and how to get there....so Nav is just insurance, right? But, I love the technology, and I love the ability to find some place on the fly.....so, I went for it with my 550...also, I wanted HUD. I just came out of an 04 530 that was non-nav, and yes.....Idrive booted almost immediately. But, I've found that if I just remember to hit the unlock button as soon as possible after the car has been sitting for a while, then it really doesn't take all that long, or any longer once I'm in the driver's seat to boot up over the non-nav cars. In the end, it's all about personal preference....I like nav, think it's cool.....and even though I NEVER get lost (guy thing), it's still nice to know where I am :)

swajames 05-10-2006 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='280711' date='May 10 2006, 04:38 PM
CD changer is a must imho and that is a ?300 option, Bluetooth is also a must and that is a ?550 option, Voice control makes the I-Drive a breeze and that is a ?250 option. That is ?1100, the media package is ?2100 making the Nav prof. an extra ?1000.

BMW are currently offering between ?1000 and ?1500 less for cars without the media package on 535d's come trade in. So whoever says you will see no return is talking cobblers.
When I was looking for a 535d M-Sport Touring I found one dealer who had 2, both 6 months old with leather, one was black and had media package and 9k miles on it and that was ?36k, the other one was silver grey with no media package, just bluetooth and only 3k miles on it and they would let that go for ?33k. I think that says it all.

I am sure it is probably less important with the 520d, 523i, 525i and 525d, but on the bigger cars I think it is expected nowadays.

Agreed - I'm on the same page as you.