Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Talked to the service consultant I deal with at my delaership about a software upgrade to version 16.2 He told me that unless they receive a notice from BMW that a car MUST have a software upgrade, they would charge me for the software upgrade. He also said it takes several hours at $95 an hour labor.

Are you guys paying for your software upgrades or are they supose to be free under warranty?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I believe anytime you bring your car in for service they are supposed to update the software to the latest version as per BMWNA instructions. That might have changed though.

In terms of your question .. I do personally believe that "if its not broken, don't fix it" so all you need to do is complain. Tell them the iDrive randomly reboots, radio shut off when you were driving and scared you, that the iDrive is slow etc..etc... they should update it without question.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

Warranty covers my upgrades so they're "free". I don't mind having it upgraded pretty much at any point on the curve, however. I have yet to have anything work worse than it did before and it has consistantly fixed the little things that may annoy. I was in for winter tire removal and my dealer didn't have V16.x but when he does I'll be back to rid myself of the five ring limit with BT. No charge.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

My dealer has told me they would upgrade if I am having a problem.

So, when I enabled the bluetooth, he charged me $100. I was having no problems.

I called them about 16.2 and he said if I am having a problem that the new s/w corrects. they would upgrade. So I told him that when using my bluetooth, people complain about the background/echo which I have heard 16.2 corrects.

I am waiting to take the car in when they get my Dunlop replacements, so I am not 100%, but my understanding is that they will upgrade it for N/C due to the bluetooth upgrade.

If they give you a hard time, just find out what some of the corrections are in the new S/W and complain about the problem.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have not yet had an update.... but when I go for my first service appointment, I will request an update. I refuse to pay for it, however.... but will also refuse to allow them to return my car without an update.

I have downloaded the list of items that are fixed in latest SW update, and I will simply write down a list of things I have problems with.... like the Bluetooth 30 second limit.

I have mentioned the Bluetooth problem to my dealer when I got the car, so they will know I'm not just making the problem up.... plus I can show them on the car when I get there for the appointment.

Another example is the radio always coming on after starting the car, even when it was muted when you turned off.

I don't think I'm going to have a problem, though. My dealer is pretty good about service from my experience thus far.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' date='Apr 26 2005, 08:14 AM
Talked to the service consultant I deal with at my delaership about a software upgrade to version 16.2? He told me that unless they receive a notice from BMW that a car MUST have a software upgrade, they would charge me for the software upgrade.? He also said it takes several hours at $95 an hour labor.

Are you guys paying for your software upgrades or are they supose to be free under warranty?
[snapback]120230[/snapback]
I've never had to pay for any updates. Of course, I always make sure to complain about something software related if I want the latest updates, and honestly, those are usually valid complaints anyway. I can't see any reason to pay $95/hr. for the updates, especially since it can take a full day or longer for the programming to work!! I would try a diiferent dealership if you can't yours to deal fairly with you.