Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Alloy Damage (cosmetic) - repair advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport Auto
Thumbs up

With my foray during the snow storm/blizzard of the 21st December, and lost control of the car (at 1mph), I've damaged the two wheels on the nearside against the kerb. Whilst one could consider it 'minor' and cosmetic, I'd like to get them to look as flawless as they did (the day before the snow storm).

I've look at organisations that 'refurbish' and visit in mobile vans and mask up tyres on the wheel (hmmm, I'm thinking not the best way to go about things), to a complete refurbish (ie, car/wheels go away for a day or two), get stripped, painted, baked, etc..

I think I'd probably have all four done, but the wheels are generally in good condition. Is there anything/anyone that would 'refurbish', but somewhere between these two extremes? anyone done this had an experience (good or bad)? Additionally, there's some articles on the internet about doing ones own repair but I don't think I'd get the demanding finish I'd be looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Photo attached of typical damage to nearside alloys.
Alloy Damage (cosmetic) - repair advice?-002.jpg
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Here in "the colony" I paid $100 per wheel for repair and repainting.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by davestone' post='1094838' date='Jan 21 2010, 03:25 PM
With my foray during the snow storm/blizzard of the 21st December, and lost control of the car (at 1mph), I've damaged the two wheels on the nearside against the kerb. Whilst one could consider it 'minor' and cosmetic, I'd like to get them to look as flawless as they did (the day before the snow storm).

I've look at organisations that 'refurbish' and visit in mobile vans and mask up tyres on the wheel (hmmm, I'm thinking not the best way to go about things), to a complete refurbish (ie, car/wheels go away for a day or two), get stripped, painted, baked, etc..

I think I'd probably have all four done, but the wheels are generally in good condition. Is there anything/anyone that would 'refurbish', but somewhere between these two extremes? anyone done this had an experience (good or bad)? Additionally, there's some articles on the internet about doing ones own repair but I don't think I'd get the demanding finish I'd be looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Photo attached of typical damage to nearside alloys.
Attachment 97640
Try this guy, he did 6 for me an my brother (think it was ?40-50 each), he came to my house with a mobile workshop and spent 2 days doing six 172's. Could'nt tell the diffrence between original and refurbed on the car...there is a very slight colour difference, but hardly noticable when both wheels are next to each other.
You've just reminded me; I need another 2 doing so I will be calling him soon... tell him the guy from Winchester who had 6 wheels done recommended you...maybe I'll get a discount!!

http://www.smartfixuk.com/wheel-repairs/ne...estlands-wheels
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

If the other two are not damaged, I see no reason to spend the extra ?. This miniscule color difference will not be noticeable on the opposite side of the car. After a week or two, you'll forget all about it. BTW: The mobile services I have heard about in the States are quite good.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='1094908' date='Jan 21 2010, 05:28 PM
If the other two are not damaged, I see no reason to spend the extra ?. This miniscule color difference will not be noticeable on the opposite side of the car. After a week or two, you'll forget all about it. BTW: The mobile services I have heard about in the States are quite good.
The reason for suggesting the other on the offside were the slight scuffs, but they're barely noticeable, and i guess i could probably save myself the cost of two wheels. GIven that the other two are on the same side, at least they would look the same finish. When the man and a van turn up do they respray the aloy from the outside edge to the inside? I watched a YouTube video (must find it again) and felt that they tend to only do from the outside edge to halfway, maybe on the premise that you wouldnt notice anyway (although i would as I'm meticulous about cleaning polishing my alloys).
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by davestone' post='1094918' date='Jan 21 2010, 11:41 AM
The reason for suggesting the other on the offside were the slight scuffs, but they're barely noticeable, and i guess i could probably save myself the cost of two wheels. GIven that the other two are on the same side, at least they would look the same finish. When the man and a van turn up do they respray the aloy from the outside edge to the inside? I watched a YouTube video (must find it again) and felt that they tend to only do from the outside edge to halfway, maybe on the premise that you wouldnt notice anyway (although i would as I'm meticulous about cleaning polishing my alloys).
That sir, I do not know. I am sure someone will chime in though. I would say since you mentioned scuffs on the other side, and you say you are meticulous, you may be able to negotiate a discounted rate for the four. GL.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by davestone' post='1094918' date='Jan 21 2010, 05:41 PM
If they are non run flats he breaks the bead and masks the tyre, and builds up the damaged areas and sprays the whole exterior with the colour coat then finishes with coats of UV laquer (thats what he told me!). Anyway it looks brand new when its finished.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Blunt' post='1096945' date='Jan 24 2010, 10:19 PM
If they are non run flats he breaks the bead and masks the tyre, and builds up the damaged areas and sprays the whole exterior with the colour coat then finishes with coats of UV laquer (thats what he told me!). Anyway it looks brand new when its finished.
Many thanks for the update. I looked them up when you last mentioned them, and see that they also have workshops, etc where they can take the car in, etc. Looks very good so might pay them a visit shortly.