Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Alignment NOT covered under original 4/50 Warranty !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped off my car today for, may be an alignment issue. The car is pulling to the left. I'm experiencing this on flat/curved roads for few days not. I have checked the type pressure and they are all same, so it must be the alignment.

Also the excessive wind noise from the closed sunroof (known issue) when the inner flap is slid open. I though I should take care of this while still under factory warranty.

SA told me they will look at the pulling issue and if it is alignment, it is NOT covered under the factory 4yr/50,000 warranty!!!!!! He gave me an estimate of $200.

On the side note: I got an 08 328ci as a loaner.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Your SA is correct, alignment is not covered.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='820424' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:09 PM

Ford provides a free alignment and (separately) a brake job if customer complains prior to 12,000 miles. I suspect BMW will do the same esp if owner legitimately reports problems just after purchase. I bought a new Taurus, and on the way home, it felt like the rotors were out of round. Within the year, I found out that Ford would take care of brake problem for free. I did (take it to Ford). And they did.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Many companies will cover alignment for a certain period of time, mostly 1K miles... but not the full 4 years 50K...

Ford covering 12K miles? WOW. but too bad... i still wont buy a ford just for that.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='820424' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:09 PM
That's correct, you can try telling them that the car's pulling to one side. Don't specifically ask for an alignment.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='820437' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:23 PM
That's correct, you can try telling them that the car's pulling to one side. Don't specifically ask for an alignment.
I though of the same thing, but too late now. I made the appointment on line and said 'looks like an alignment is needed' after the brief problem explanation. After he told me the alignment is not covered, he did say "let me see what we can do". Nevertheless, the estimated price is on the invoice and I signed, I guess he had to put it there.

We will see tomorrow when I pick up the car, hopefully they won't charge me.

thanks for the replies. I never knew that this is not covered.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributors

What if there is a suspension problem while under warranty ... like a bushing that's gone bad? Wouldn't the realignment be covered?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='820458' date='Mar 18 2009, 04:57 PM
What if there is a suspension problem while under warranty ... like a bushing that's gone bad? Wouldn't the realignment be covered?

i had the same problem and i wont pay 200 to fix it. i just deal with it. how much does a regular non deal alignment cost?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buckwildx22' post='820459' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:59 PM
i had the same problem and i wont pay 200 to fix it. i just deal with it. how much does a regular non deal alignment cost?
Just got my car back. They found that the sunroof seal was defective and ordered the seal or any other parts needed. They said it will be here sometime tomorrow and I can either keep the loaner or swap it and bring my car back on Monday to take care of that.

While they were on it they also found some reddish fluid on the ground and after further investigation, found Front Active Sway Bar was leaking. Ordered parts for that too, will be done at the same time on Monday (under warranty).

I asked them to hold off on the alignment and if still required, will do it on Monday as well.

Here is the big question: Do you think, the front sway bar leak problem might have contributed to the slight pull I have on the steering somehow? The car pulls to the left slightly hence the alignment request.

I'll also take the car to the tire place to see if they can do/know something about this pull. I have put new tires (non-RFTs) about couple of months ago.

In any case I'm going to skip the alignment for right now and see if it corrects itself after the above mentioned repair on Monday. If still needed, I can always go back and get the alignment done later. Just trying to avoid paying $200+ if I don't have to. If needed, do you think it is best to have it done at the dealer. I have active steering. Any other reputable place recommendation?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='820458' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:57 PM
It would be covered then. Some warranties do not cover freon--unless the garage is replacing warranty parts--like compressor, evap, or condensor, etc.

(Consequential, related to a warrantied item.)

Quick Reply: Alignment NOT covered under original 4/50 Warranty !!!!