Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Aftermarket Warranty (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007 | 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I am being a little previous here, as my Warranty isn't due until October. However, I do like to be prepared for these things!
I expect Mr. BMW will try and attract me with their Warranty, and no doubt they will want to charge around ?800 - ?900 for a year. I know we have complex cars, but aren't they supposed to be reliable? Or does Mr. BMW expect a Turbo to go in year 4?

Now some members will have 3 year + cars, and I am wondering what the concensus is about Warranties. Does everyone shell out to BMW? What about Warranty Direct?? I have heard the name bandied about, but have no experience with them, or even heard about how good/bad they are. Are there any other (good) warranty companies out there with more reasonable rates?? I got a quote from Warranty Direct at ?377 (using Dealer facilities, rather than Indy's), which I considered acceptable, assuming that they actually pay up when required, without quibbling.

Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:54 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Only second/third hand knowledge of Warranty Direct.

But what I have heard is good.

FWIW That is where my warranty money will go next April
Old 04-19-2007 | 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

I have had personal dealings and a claim with them a few years back. They were a little chewy (as I denied to use their repairer back then) but they footed what they had to on an aircon condenser.
They are about the most competitive aftermarket warranty, as they also cover component failure for wear & tear, which is the main reason for most other companies to wriggle out of a claim. If a turbo blows at e.g. 80k most companies will tell you it blew because it was worn and deny cover. They only come up with the goods for sudden unexpected mechanical failure.

One thing you need to keep in the back of your head with WD is to read thoroughly what is covered (most things are) and in case of a claim, follow their outlined claim procedure religiously, as in the end they are still an insurance (as is the new BMW extended warranty)
If you are in doubt when a claim seems necessary call them and get their guidance to not go wrong. Might seem a little hassle sometimes, but the money saved when your claim is accepted makes more than up for it.
I will probably turn to them, too, end of October when mine expires.
Old 07-07-2009 | 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005(55) E60 M Sport. Silver Grey, 19" wheels, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. Black Dakota Leather, High Gloss Dark Maple Wood.
Smile

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='415627' date='Apr 19 2007, 03:33 PM
I am being a little previous here, as my Warranty isn't due until October. However, I do like to be prepared for these things!
I expect Mr. BMW will try and attract me with their Warranty, and no doubt they will want to charge around ?800 - ?900 for a year. I know we have complex cars, but aren't they supposed to be reliable? Or does Mr. BMW expect a Turbo to go in year 4?

Now some members will have 3 year + cars, and I am wondering what the concensus is about Warranties. Does everyone shell out to BMW? What about Warranty Direct?? I have heard the name bandied about, but have no experience with them, or even heard about how good/bad they are. Are there any other (good) warranty companies out there with more reasonable rates?? I got a quote from Warranty Direct at ?377 (using Dealer facilities, rather than Indy's), which I considered acceptable, assuming that they actually pay up when required, without quibbling.

Any advice and/or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
This is pobably too late but for future information. I took out the all singing and dancing warranty and it is worthless. They are a pain to deal with and won't work with BMW main dealers (apparently they don't pay their bills very well). I have just tried to claim for an AC problem but it looks like the condenser has been holed by a stone - no cover. I will be back with BMW next year. Never again. Stay away from WD in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2009 | 07:59 PM
Contributors

Curve TopPayment Plan

Coverage: XtraCare
Term: 37 Months / 37000 Miles
Deductible: $0
Airbag: No
Total: $4,573.00

That is what they want to warranty my 530. Where else can I go for an extended warranty?
Old 07-15-2009 | 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

BMW's extended warranty package is very expensive here in the UK.

I think when my time comes I will look into warrantys elsewhere, and read the small print carefully before buying...
Old 07-16-2009 | 05:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='939200' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:59 PM
Curve TopPayment Plan

Coverage: XtraCare
Term: 37 Months / 37000 Miles
Deductible: $0
Airbag: No
Total: $4,573.00

That is what they want to warranty my 530. Where else can I go for an extended warranty?

These guys are talking about warranties in the UK not the USA.
Old 07-17-2009 | 07:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Muttley' post='935110' date='Jul 7 2009, 04:41 PM
This is pobably too late but for future information. I took out the all singing and dancing warranty and it is worthless. They are a pain to deal with and won't work with BMW main dealers (apparently they don't pay their bills very well). I have just tried to claim for an AC problem but it looks like the condenser has been holed by a stone - no cover. I will be back with BMW next year. Never again. Stay away from WD in my opinion.
Thanks Muttley,

I went with WD eventually (for much less than the original quote), and have renewed it this year too.
Luckily I've not had to use it, so fingers crossed.

Mike
Old 07-18-2009 | 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

iv found there warrenty useless

all the parts that will break are not covered

i have to buy a new ?900 head light because its seals are not covered but its the seals that caused the thing to break GRRRRR
only reason i have it is because im scared the engine could blow up and that really would be like a 5k hit

although im sure if it did blow up it would be down to 1 little seal that wont be covered

nice