Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Advice on picking a 545i please

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello e60.net,

I am a new member on this forum and have been doing as much research as I can in regards to e60's as possible before I take the plunge. I currently have my eyes set on either a 2004 or 2005 545i to use as a daily driver in Los Angeles. Luckily most of my commute to work is highway and going against traffic both ways.

Anyways I currently have a few cars in my sights but am not definite about any of them.. as of yet till I have the opportunity to see them in person and test drive etc. I was originally leaning more towards 2005 instead of the 04's since people tend to say the 04's have more electronic "gremlins."

I'm planning on viewing a local 2004 545i SMG with HUD and Navigation. Mileage is just barely under 50k. Before I make any decision, I would like to ask the experts on this forum for their opinions on things I should look out for.

- Are there any specific things I should be paying attention to as I go for a personal inspection and test drive on this car?

- Should I be concerned with dealing with possible future SMG issues or would it be better to look for a regular automatic car? I'm coming from a manual car but am thinking about an auto so that my GF can drive when I need a designated driver. SMG sounds like a perfect compromise but I can forgo that if it can avoid any expensive problems in the future.

- Are the 04's much more tempermental than the 05's?

- Any other thoughts and tidbits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

i would just advise that you will find your facial muscles a bit tender and strained........from the perpetual smile on your face
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Being an owner of an 04 545i (production date 11/03) I have expected way more problems than have occured. The only problem ive had is the clutch. Everything else has been awesome. In terms of options, I wish i had; better seats (I just have the standard seats) HUD, PDC, Bluetooth, Ipod. Other than that if the numbers meet and the car is what you want then go for it! Its probably best to still be in warranty as well.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

I'd look for any signs of leaks or cracks in the cooling system. Also operate the moonroof and see that it closes smooth, without the 'pop'. I don't know about SMG, I have auto and it's been trouble free for 40k miles. I went from 52k to 94k miles since buying the car last summer and other than the issues I've brought up on my threads the car has been trouble free.

Also you should download a pdf of that model year's catalog and know what to expect as standard equipment.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i'd lean towards the 05. its newer and your girl can drive it, plus i'd think the auto would require less maintenance over the longhaul.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Here is another scenario. Which of the (2) would you pick?

Car #1 (at indy car dealership. Clean title, no accidents, 1 owner per Autocheck)
2004 545i AUTO Fully loaded w/ 13k miles but without any warranty.

OR

Car #2 (private seller. Clean title, no accidents, 2 owners per Autocheck)
2004 545i SMG Fully loaded w/ 48k miles AND with 1 year left of extended warranty and maintenance. The only additional thing this car has is the MTEC kit + aftermarket wheels (which I do not like..)

BOTH cars are priced similarly, and actually car #1 is listed for $100 less.

Which would you choose and why?

Also, is CPO warranty and maintenance transferable for a 2004 545i?

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

pics!!!!!!???????????

option 1----- 13k miles only! where the F$(#* has that car been parked all this time?

SMG is kinda fun though......
Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='982319' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys!

Here is another scenario. Which of the (2) would you pick?

Car #1 (at indy car dealership. Clean title, no accidents, 1 owner per Autocheck)
2004 545i AUTO Fully loaded w/ 13k miles but without any warranty.

OR

Car #2 (private seller. Clean title, no accidents, 2 owners per Autocheck)
2004 545i SMG Fully loaded w/ 48k miles AND with 1 year left of extended warranty and maintenance. The only additional thing this car has is the MTEC kit + aftermarket wheels (which I do not like..)

BOTH cars are priced similarly, and actually car #1 is listed for $100 less.

Which would you choose and why?

Also, is CPO warranty and maintenance transferable for a 2004 545i?

Thanks everyone.

Personally, I would still go with the one with the warranty. These cars are not cheap to fix and you want you initial time with your new baby to be enjoyable so get the one with the warranty.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='982340' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:30 PM
Personally, I would still go with the one with the warranty. These cars are not cheap to fix and you want you initial time with your new baby to be enjoyable so get the one with the warranty.

35k less miles or warranty good for 1 yr.........which car is more likely to need warranty repair first?

why not pick up a 3rd party warranty (Easycare) for like $2600?

13k miles man - tough to pass on that
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by rrnag30' post='982377' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:56 PM
35k less miles or warranty good for 1 yr.........which car is more likely to need warranty repair first?

why not pick up a 3rd party warranty (Easycare) for like $2600?

13k miles man - tough to pass on that
Let the owner of car # 1 that you have found a comparable. The only hesitation you have is that it has a warranty and that car number one has no warranty. Maybe you can get him to come down on the price to offset your cost of purchasing a warranty.

2 things struck me that may need a second look. Why does car number one only have 13,000 miles? Rebuilt ? Salvage? Lemon?

car # 2 has already had 2 owners. Probably was a lease turn in and purchased as CPO by owner 2. That would make you the 3rd owner of a 5 yr old car.

If you can verify the mileage and clear title on car number one I would say go for it. If you have a friend at a BMW dealership they should be able to run a vehicle service history report. If you do not have a friend at a local BMW dealership go to the nearest dealership and tell them that you would like a vehicle service report and will gladly pay for it. Talk to them and tell them that you want to develop a rapport with them and you would be bringing your car in for maintenance and repairs. Could never hurt to try.

Quick Reply: Advice on picking a 545i please