Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

60K Vehicle Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had the 60K service done? I'm curious about what they actually do and how much it costs (approximately). I have spent some serious time in the shop getting warranty work done just before it ran out and now I'm looking at the little "Check due now" on the service screen in iDrive. Can anyone tell me if it is something major or just little checks that I can do myself. And yes, I did try the search but came up empty.

Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525D M-SPORT // Grey // SB attached

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='664516' date='Sep 8 2008, 01:38 PM
Has anyone had the 60K service done? I'm curious about what they actually do and how much it costs (approximately). I have spent some serious time in the shop getting warranty work done just before it ran out and now I'm looking at the little "Check due now" on the service screen in iDrive. Can anyone tell me if it is something major or just little checks that I can do myself. And yes, I did try the search but came up empty.

Thanks!!
I would be interested too as my car is around this mileage and I need to get is serviced soon.

thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='664516' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks!!
Just got a quote for my X5 4.4i 60K service (from memory):
- check all fluids, and top of if necessary (no flush)
- spark plugs replaced
- air/cabin filter replaced
- check and rotat tires
- check brake
- check suspension
- check battery
- and more checks.

I asked, how about A/C belt, water pump replacement, ATF flush etc.
NO

How about flushing power steering, coolant, brake fluid etc
NO, well if needed we'll do it for extra $$$

And only for a measly $1400

No Thanks. I can do all that checking in 2 hours and save me some money(even if I flush the brake $9 for 3 x250ml, coolant $24 etc).
Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

You can't compare the X5 with the E60/61 in terms of service.

The X5 uses the old service scheme (OIL, INSP l, INSP ll), and the E60 have the CBS based system.

At the Vehicle Check, BMW will not do anything important, you can't do yourself.

I called a BMW dealer and asked what they did, and the answer from the SA was: Check the lights, seatselts, inspect the car bla bla bla...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributors

The 60k check on my car was an oil change and inspection. Nothing major.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

I believe at 60K is where the major tune up comes in..
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to BMW are cars all have basically lifetime fluids for everything except oil. Whatever lifetime means.

If you plan on keeping your car for a 100K plus in miles I hope you plan on doing some fluid changes well before that. BMW won't do it for you unless your paying them. Oil changes being the big one. I'd recommend at 10K with syn. oil or 5K with conventional oil. Not running 15K plus like BMW wants you to. No reason to even push the limits as the cost difference over 100K is minimal if your doing it yourself and its basically the single most important thing you can do.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Members

So basically, everything that I have had done to my car over the past couple of months (except for the spark plugs) is what the 60K vehicle check covers. That's what I thought. I bought the car used, had the alignment done, it came with new brakes and tires, all the lights work, horn works, etc. I've already been down the air conditioner tension pulley and belt road. Sounds like all I really need is 6 spark plugs and a computer reset. That will probably cost an arm and a leg at the dealer. I recently replaced my own rubber trim around the windshield and the rear window. BMW wouldn't touch that at all saying that the glass had to come out in order to do it. Whatever... I did it myself in about 20 minutes in my driveway. I'm pretty sure that I can replace the spark plugs as well. Has anyone ever tried using one of those computer reset tools that I've seen advertised? Is $150 a good investment for such a tool? If it works as advertised, then I would think it would save quite a few $90 computer counter resets over the life of the car. Any advice on one of those gizmos?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Members

Sorry to bump, but I really would like to know if anyone has tried one of those computer reset tools. Bavarian Auto has one for $149 that they say will reset oil change and all other service intervals. Does anyone have one and do they really work as claimed?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='665388' date='Sep 9 2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry to bump, but I really would like to know if anyone has tried one of those computer reset tools. Bavarian Auto has one for $149 that they say will reset oil change and all other service intervals. Does anyone have one and do they really work as claimed?

Thanks!
Tex735.. Are you talking about an OBD-II code scanner? The code scanners I looked into also let you reset the Check Engine Light.. I'm planning on buying one today at Sears. The cheapest one I saw was $79.99. Kragen also had them for $129. I have a few other posts regarding the increased emissions warning I recently got on my car. If I get the code scanner and it works to reset the warnings, I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: 60K Vehicle Check