Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

545i - with or without the Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I felt the same way, I took a 545i and almost lost control and got killed, my Jaguar on the same road was glued,

then when I had the great opportunity to test drive a sport for 2 hours on the most beautifull winding NY roads I was sold the car grips like a son of a bitch.

I like the Run Flats, stiffer sidewalls means less flex, better cornering stability, yes they can be harsh but I drive so harsh and fast I rather make the tradeoff

Hey Im not driving a CADDY and I?

I will not swap out the tires but if I keep the car long enough and if it doesnt self destruct on me I will get the 20' rim deal and they will not be runflats.

Not sure how most of you guys drive, but I tell you the standard 545i did not impress me one bit, I felt more confident in an E39 540

The Sport Rocks, Oh I actually have gotten the chance to exceed the limits on this car, yes sideways and tire smoke, its a blast, I cant wait to get it.

So Dont bother just getting some 18's it will not do much for your handling or steering feel, everyone with a MB thinks throwing bigger rim and more rubber makes the car feel better, not a chance its all in the chassis dynamics, MB sucks in this department, yeah you too AMG.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

The Sport Rocks, Oh I actually have gotten the chance to exceed the limits on this car, yes sideways and tire smoke, its a blast, I cant wait to get it.
I Need Vid!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 21 2004, 09:27 PM
Well I felt the same way, I took a 545i and almost lost control and got killed, my Jaguar on the same road was glued,

then when I had the great opportunity to test drive a sport for 2 hours on the most beautifull winding NY roads I was sold the car grips like a son of a bitch.

I like the Run Flats, stiffer sidewalls means less flex, better cornering stability, yes they can be harsh but I drive so harsh and fast I rather make the tradeoff

Hey Im not driving a CADDY and I?

I will not swap out the tires but if I keep the car long enough and if it doesnt self destruct on me I will get the 20' rim deal and they will not be runflats.

Not sure how most of you guys drive, but I tell you the standard 545i did not impress me one bit, I felt more confident in an E39 540

So Dont bother just getting some 18's it will not do much for your handling or steering feel, everyone with a MB thinks throwing bigger rim and more rubber makes the car feel better, not a chance its all in the chassis dynamics, MB sucks in this department, yeah you too AMG.
[snapback]59081[/snapback]

Sorry, but if you almost lost control and almost got killed then you seriously need to learn how to drive buddy. Blaming it on the car not having the sports package is stupid and ridiculous. It's obvious you can't tell the limits of a car and should NOT be on the road. People like you are far too many unfortunately. I've SEEN someone get killed in a nasty M3 accident.

Like I said, BMWs are great, fantastic cars, but only in the right hands. Maybe you SHOULD get into a Caddilac.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I haven't lost control yet, and trust me... I was pushing it towards its limits allready...
Old 11-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Members

Ordered sport without driving it. I have a 330 with sport now and love it. I have a buddy who leased a 330x at the same time and couldn't get sport on the all wheel drive version. He told me he was unhappy he got it because it 'drove like a buggy' (had poor dampening after bumps).
I must say I am concerned about all the reported problems with runflats' ride and the feel of the active steering; my 330's steering is so perfect. In the end I couldn't bring myself to get the 545 without the sport although I thought about getting the car without sport and adding larger wheel/tire combo. Time will tell...
Old 11-22-2004, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Nov 21 2004, 09:28 PM
I Need Vid!!!!!!!
[snapback]59116[/snapback]

No Caddy Bro, I professionaly Race, do you? I never said I did this on the street!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 2004RType' date='Nov 21 2004, 09:27 PM
Well I felt the same way, I took a 545i and almost lost control and got killed, my Jaguar on the same road was glued, then when I had the great opportunity to test drive a sport for 2 hours on the most beautifull winding NY roads I was sold the car grips like a son of a bitch.
[snapback]59081[/snapback]
You never said you did this on the street/road except in the above! You race a 545i? Where? In what class?

And to answer you question, yes I have raced when I had my Miata in the SCCA rally course.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 22 2004, 07:58 AM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Nov 21 2004, 09:28 PM']
I Need Vid!!!!!!!
[snapback]59116[/snapback]

No Caddy Bro, I professionaly Race, do you? I never said I did this on the street!
[snapback]59266[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mine is the outer quote, not the inner one.l
Old 11-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

He didn't said he is professionally racing in a 545.
He professionally races and probably just took his 545 on track for fun...
Old 11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 22 2004, 04:49 PM
He didn't said he is professionally racing in a 545.
He professionally races and probably just took his 545 on track for fun...
[snapback]59444[/snapback]
True, I asked IF he races a 545. But it didn't sounds like he took it on a track.. And a professional race car driver knows the limits of a car and doesn't almost lose control and almost get killed..

I don't know. I've just seen to many accidents caused by dumb drivers street racing, so it's a thing with me. And like I said, I also think SMGs facilitate this racing mentality. I mean let's be real. Out of all the E60 SMG owners, how many are racers?

Quick Reply: 545i - with or without the Sport Package