Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

545i - with or without the Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't care for Active Steering and wanted no part of that in my E60. I drove a LOT of E60s (SMG, non-SMG, Sports, non-sports, 545, 530, etc.) to make my decision, as I wasn't in a hurry since my lease won't expire until the end of this month.

That being said, if I could have gotten all the other things the sports package offers w/o getting Active Steering I would have gotten it. But then again, I can get aftermarket springs, shocks, bars, and wheels and make it even BETTER!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Nov 20 2004, 01:24 PM
Not sure about up there in the Great White North (or MY '05), but here in the States the Sport package came with Active Steering in addition to the other goodies.? The active suspension keeps the car super-flat and the active steering has other benefits besides aiding in hitting curbs. ? If you are looking for luxo smooth then lean toward the non-sport.? If you like to throw it into the corners then the Sport Package is a must, IMHO.
[snapback]58555[/snapback]
agree .
Old 11-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

canada545, I have the sports package and the greatest thing on it is the roll stabilization. It makes the car feel glued to the ground when taking curves. I would really miss that.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:54 PM
JDN
Contributors

Lots of good driver features in the SP. Don't let your order go wo it.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Canada545, I had the same dilema when I purchased my e39. I wound up ordering it without the sports package. I regretted not gettting the the sports package every day I owned the car. When I ordered my e60, the sports package was the #1 option on my list. Paired with the V8, this car is truly a sports car with 4 doors.

It is a lot easier, and less expensive, to replace the run flats if you find them too harsh, than replacing the suspension on a non-sport.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Contributors

I highly recommend the sport package...if not for the handling...then for the safety. I feel so much more in control on slippery or treacherous turns. I had a friend with a 545 in which I was a passenger. It was raining and on purpose he zig-zagged as hard as he could from one side to another, in the middle of a street, with cars parked on both sides, and scared the _ _ _ _ out of me! But that car handled like nothing I've ever experienced. He was just trying to prove how well the car senses the conditions. I would personally never do that, but it's good to know that in case of an emergency maneuver the car would work for me as much as I would be working with it.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Steptronic Comfort Nav Winter but no Sport for dec delivery

I ordered 545 non sport--for various reasons--and have added 18" rims for looks.
Car is at dealer and trucker will deliver soon-email me after 12/10 and I'll let you know what I think and if I am right or wrong in my initial reasoning.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Members

Wouldn't it be nice if BMW did NOT include the idiotic (IMO) Active Steering in the sports package? A lot of people I know, including me, did not get the sports package because of that. Since it already is a standalone option, perhaps they should have kept this love/hate steering option out.

IMO Active Steering is as lame as SMG for those that don't race their cars. IMO SMG makes sense only on a a 545 that's going to the track (where one can actually use SMG more than just a nice gimmick). Then again, if you're going to the track with SMG, why get a 5 series?? Get an M3! Some things I'll never understand.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Nov 21 2004, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if BMW did NOT include the idiotic (IMO) Active Steering in the sports package? A lot of people I know, including me, did not get the sports package because of that. Since it already is a standalone option, perhaps they should have kept this love/hate steering option out.

IMO Active Steering is as lame as SMG for those that don't race their cars. IMO SMG makes sense only on a a 545 that's going to the track (where one can actually use SMG more than just a nice gimmick). Then again, if you're going to the track with SMG, why get a 5 series?? Get an M3! Some things I'll never understand.
[snapback]58889[/snapback]
OOOOOOO! There are several SMG owners that might justifiably disagree with you. I will let them chime in.

Regarding Active Steering, have you driven a car with the later Software version where the AS is tightened up. I for one miss it when I get into other cars and don't feel any worse off in everday driving for having it.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:39 AM
Members

Yeah I realized after I posted that it might be taken as flame bait. It's not. I simply don't understand the purpose of SMG unless you race and have a 545. But then again get an M3 with the better SMG like I said.

I welcome people who have SMG to explain to me how they use it and how it's better than a 6speed or the Steptronic. Is it purely the cool/fun factor (i.e. I can downshitf perfectly entering a corner, etc. - perfect heel/toe every time - Montoya wach out! -, etc.) My feeling is that if I want to row my own gears I'll get a 6speed and if I don't I'll get the Steptronic (which I don't plan to use in it's silly shift for yourself mode). SMG to me is a high performace manual tranny sans clutch, crippled in the 5, and more appropriate on a TRUE sports car like the M3, not the 5.

I don't know, to me it's either manual or automatic. SMG makes sense for racing - a small nieche. I've driven mosly manual cars, and never needed to heel and toe into every corner on the street. I guess I grew out of that phase.

Quick Reply: 545i - with or without the Sport Package