Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

545i - with or without the Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background: Have test driven the 545 with the sport package (18 inch rims with RFT) and without the Sport Package (17 inch rims with non-rft). Found the ride much smoother with the non-sport package but hated the 17 inch rims. From what I have read on the board, the ride improves with the changing of the rft, its not the sport suspenion that is the problem (please confirm).

Questions: If it was you, would you go with the non-sport package and purchase 18 inch rims with non-rft, or would you get the sport package with the 18 rims and change out the rft for non-rft.

What do I miss out on if I don't go with the sport package and what (if anything) should I be concerned about if I just change the rft to non-rft? Also, because I live in Canada, I'm thinking I would need to get a second set of tires/rims for winter driving (4 months a year)
Old 11-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Members

Sport Package is the way to go. The suspension itself is slightly stiffer but the active part really makes it work well, minimal lean and no straightline harshness due to stiff anti-sway bars. The active steering (after the initial shock) makes all other cars seem very wrong.

The runflats are the real problem and should really be replaced with normal sport tires. The tires are part of the suspension too and the runflats have almost no sidewall flex, they are unecessarily harsh.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Get the Sport Package, drive it for awhile, if you don't care for the ride, swap out the tires. The run-flats may be okay for you.

I haven't swapped out mine yet.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Members

For such an amazing car it would be a true shame not to get the sport package.

I can't wait to drive my car every morning.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The sport package is awesome. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

The active suspension is worth the entire price of the sports package. Get it for sure. If you don't like the ride with the runflats, just swap out the tires. I sold my slightly used runflats on ebay for $400. I'm sure you could get more for a new pair.

But get the Sports Suspension for sure.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Members

I almost bought the non-sport model after test driving it at Stevens Creek BMW. The sales guy almost had me sold when he said how difficult the sport model was to control b/c the steering was so sensitive....

Luckily, I tried the sport version at another dealer and was amazed at how the car hugged the road. Now for the past two months since I have purchased it, this car is truly unbelievable and I have absolutely no regrets paying a little more for the sport version.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Not sure about up there in the Great White North (or MY '05), but here in the States the Sport package came with Active Steering in addition to the other goodies. The active suspension keeps the car super-flat and the active steering has other benefits besides aiding in hitting curbs. If you are looking for luxo smooth then lean toward the non-sport. If you like to throw it into the corners then the Sport Package is a must, IMHO.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

Thanks everyone for the good feedback ... no matter what I decide, I will need to get winter rims and straight winter tires (I just don't want to swap-out summers and winters on the same rims, just beats them up too much) ...
Old 11-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Nov 20 2004, 05:24 PM
Not sure about up there in the Great White North (or MY '05), but here in the States the Sport package came with Active Steering in addition to the other goodies.? The active suspension keeps the car super-flat and the active steering has other benefits besides aiding in hitting curbs. ? If you are looking for luxo smooth then lean toward the non-sport.? If you like to throw it into the corners then the Sport Package is a must, IMHO.
[snapback]58555[/snapback]
In Canada, the Sport Package gives you the 18 inch rims, rft tires, sport steering wheel, shadow line, sport suspension. You still need to order the Dynamic Handling Package which just you the active steering and Dynamic Drive.

So, I could still get active steerling and Dynamic Drive without the Sport Package, so I would miss out on the 18 inch rims (that I could order standalone) and the sport suspension ... the questions is, with Dynamic Drive and active steerling, do I need the sport suspension or should I not bother ...

Quick Reply: 545i - with or without the Sport Package