Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

545 buyer's guide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been beating the pavement for a new foul weather steed and started off with the D class cars, though suddenly came to the realization that air suspension, fibre optic cables, and other techno wizzbang goodies were probably not going to be holding in for the long haul, so with this said I decided to look instead to the C family.

I've narrowed the search to the A6, the M45, and the 545i.

I'm now pretty well versed with the Audi and Infiniti and have driven them both. So now I turn to ask your opinion on the 5er.

It must be said that I haven't owned a BMW since.... I think about 10 years. I loved the way the car drove, hated the way the cabin felt cheap, hated the fact that it was the only car I've ever owned to leave me stranded for failure of a part, and the way that everyone in the world automatically thought I was an asshole (which I am, but no one needs to take that out on my car).

So, my questions to you are as follows:

*How robust are the V8 engines (my old one was an I6)? Can I expect 200k miles out of it (I've managed 270k miles in my Audi and it still runs great)?

*Do these have a t-belt or chain? Maint intervals on these? Service intervals on the engine (what is involved)?

*The 'steptronic' transmission, I assume is the BMW tiptronic? If it wasn't a manual it was this right? How are these things? What are the service intervals (fluid chnage etc)?

*what came standard with these? Push button start ('smart key')? Navigation?

*will iDrive make me go crazy? Will it commit hari kari and leave me with a two ton paper weight (Is it prone to failure)? Does it really control everything (no buttons for redundancy)?

*do you have the belief in your vehicle to purchase one out of warranty?

*anything else I should think of while looking these over?

Thanks much
Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

A lot of what you ask is answered by VERY subjective opinions, you should drive one (or more) for yourself and get a feel for what the car truly is. One important thing though, NEVER own one without a warranty, because even a well-built, reliable car can have problems, and the expense is rather high! Good Luck with your decision!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Members

Well, what are the most common issues with these?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Like stated above, you should drive a few 545/550 and see for yourself how they drive and handle. I used to own a E39 (2001 540i) and i thought that it was the best car until i test drove my 545 e60. There have been some technology changes that make this car in my opinion and amazing combination of performace, comfort, and style, V8's are solid; but opinions may vary.
Try to find a CPO and see how you feel - your may like it or you may not.
GL in your search.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Members

Let's pretend that I will like the way a V8 powered BMW drives, I know it is hard to do, but I'm willing to try. With that out of the way, before I say "I'll take it!" I'd like to know a bit more about the nitty gritty that is the 545 before I bury myself neck deep in idrive and exploding transmissions (not that I'm saying the 545 has a notorious transmission failure rate, I'm just throwing that out there for you folks to dispute or prove).

Also, I'm wanting to know about the maint interval (tchain/belt?) and general things to be on watch for (learn from other's mistakes, and not purchase their mistakes to begin with!).

Thanks,

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by silly_me' post='800424' date='Feb 24 2009, 02:10 PM
Let's pretend that I will like the way a V8 powered BMW drives, I know it is hard to do, but I'm willing to try. With that out of the way, before I say "I'll take it!" I'd like to know a bit more about the nitty gritty that is the 545 before I bury myself neck deep in idrive and exploding transmissions (not that I'm saying the 545 has a notorious transmission failure rate, I'm just throwing that out there for you folks to dispute or prove).

Also, I'm wanting to know about the maint interval (tchain/belt?) and general things to be on watch for (learn from other's mistakes, and not purchase their mistakes to begin with!).

Thanks,

no timing belt, we have chain.
Use the search engine on the forum.
GL.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by silly_me' post='800323' date='Feb 24 2009, 01:24 PM
So I've been beating the pavement for a new foul weather steed and started off with the D class cars, though suddenly came to the realization that air suspension, fibre optic cables, and other techno wizzbang goodies were probably not going to be holding in for the long haul, so with this said I decided to look instead to the C family.

I've narrowed the search to the A6, the M45, and the 545i.

I'm now pretty well versed with the Audi and Infiniti and have driven them both. So now I turn to ask your opinion on the 5er.

It must be said that I haven't owned a BMW since.... I think about 10 years. I loved the way the car drove, hated the way the cabin felt cheap, hated the fact that it was the only car I've ever owned to leave me stranded for failure of a part, and the way that everyone in the world automatically thought I was an asshole (which I am, but no one needs to take that out on my car).

So, my questions to you are as follows:

*How robust are the V8 engines (my old one was an I6)? Can I expect 200k miles out of it (I've managed 270k miles in my Audi and it still runs great)?

*Do these have a t-belt or chain? Maint intervals on these? Service intervals on the engine (what is involved)?

*The 'steptronic' transmission, I assume is the BMW tiptronic? If it wasn't a manual it was this right? How are these things? What are the service intervals (fluid chnage etc)?

*what came standard with these? Push button start ('smart key')? Navigation?

*will iDrive make me go crazy? Will it commit hari kari and leave me with a two ton paper weight (Is it prone to failure)? Does it really control everything (no buttons for redundancy)?

*do you have the belief in your vehicle to purchase one out of warranty?

*anything else I should think of while looking these over?

Thanks much
I bought an 05' 545 last May with 23K miles on it. It has been a dream. I still can't wait to get in and drive it. No problems other than replacing a noisy seal in the sunroof. I-drive is intuitive and easy and half the time I use voice commands anyway. I have heads up display and logic 7, both I really enjoy. There was a reported "transmission slam" issue that can be fixed with a software upgrade. I almost bought an M35, I'm really glad I chose the 545, no comparison in feel.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

I bought my 545 about 3 weeks ago, and it's great. CPO, and maintenance was included also. Would I own this car out of warranty? I don't know. Even with CPO, I kind of feel like I do. CPO only covers major mechanicals, not electronics (like iDrive). But with that said, so far, everything has been solid. I like the features (it's loaded), the way it handles/drives, and the mileage isn't too horrendous. iDrive reports an average of 21.9 mpg, and I have a rather heavy foot, so that's good. My old car would make it 4 days back and forth to work, this one makes it all week, and there's still enough gas left for a trip to the grocery on Saturday before it needs a refill again.

The stereo (Logic 7) isn't the best, but it's good enough that I don't feel obligated to upgrade it immediately (ultimately I probably will, but it's good for now). The downshifting of the auto trans takes some getting used to, the way it multiplies the brake torque. Makes for some rather jerky stops until you get the hang of it.

I'm very pleased with my car, and I can already say that I will most likely purchase another BMW when I've had my fun of this one. My next one will probably be a CPO 550, I've already decided. LOL
Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

I would highly suggest a warranty...I'm not sure if I will keep my car after the warranty is up....The car is great! Handles well, has good power, looks really good and there's lots of mods you can do....The only downfall to the car,in my opinion, is the electronics.....Your really screwed if something happens electrical...You will pretty much be stuck at the mercy of the stealership....The drivetrain of the car is great....All in all the car is great and I would buy another, as long as it has a warranty....
Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

bought a 545i M/T (w/ CPO)last year and i'm still loving it! get excited to go in my car everyday...one of the best car i've ever driven-handling is superb!