Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

530i With or W/O Sports Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Red' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:32 PM
I ordered a 530i with Oct delivery, also Mil Sales (Stuttgart).? I drove a 530i with sport package but no Active Steering.? It was noticeably firmer ride,? but honestly I only felt the ARS once during a 2 hr test drive...kinda tight autobahn exit at about 90kph.

I've heard the run flats are a bit noisier than the standards,? but didn't notice it.

In my opinion...once again only a 2 hr test drive, I think if you will be max performing the car by all means get the sport.? From your post, I suspect you will take it back to the states next year like I will and get only rare opportunities to max perform, so the sport will go unused and you will have to put up with the run flats in the meantime not to mention the extra $2K

I'd like to know your comparison between the Premium seats (which seem great) and the comfort seats (which we hope to test out tomorrow among other things).

I ordered:
Black sapphire/Black Dakota
Steptronic
Premium pkg
Nav
CWP
PDC
Rear side air bags
BMW Ship Home

Going to add:
Sat Prep
Maybe sport...
Maybe comfort seats...
Maybe HUD...
Maybe Logic 7...

OK gang, let me have it on the Sports pkg!
[snapback]152937[/snapback]

Red, I know of a good doctor for you!!!!! Are you a member of the flat earth society? LOL

One salesman told me that the sport package was not worth it and harsh like his M3 (he didnt have any sports equipped 5ers on the lot). This reminds me I need to email the salesman that he should go and sell Caddys.

Sports Package Benefits

1) Sweet looking 18' wheels - 18s are hugely expensive purchased separately
2) Lower ride height - makes the car look great (IMHO 17s are revolting)
3) Sports seat way better than the std chairs, comfort seats even better

4) THE CAR HANDLES MUCH, MUCH, BETTER. MORE SUPPLE AND FIRM OVER BUMPS WITH ABSOLUTELY NO HARSHNESS. ARS WORKS MAGIC DURING SPIRITED DRIVING. I MEAN SUPER.

WHY BUY A BMW IF YOU NOT GOING TO DRIVE IT WITH SOME DAMN PACE NOW AND AGAIN!!!!!!

5) The active steering is great too. I think most people who have it are delighted.

6) THE DIFFERENCE IS SICK.

Just my two cents.

CVT Benhogan 550 ED - Nov
Old 07-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Jul 24 2005, 02:35 PM
I am ordering the 2006 530i, September build.? I test drove a 525i with sports package and it was a great riding vehicle.? I actually was content with the speed and handling.? I have not had the opportunity to drive a non-sport package vehicle, and won't have the opportunity either through the military sales program, as there is not a demonstrator available.? What is the big difference?? I am getting comfort seats so the sports seats don't mean anything to me.? I do not really like run flats, so that is not a benefit either.? I am more concerned with the Active Roll Control and the stiffer shocks.? Does this take out 90% of the roll or does it just imporve it by 25%?? Are the shocks that much stiffer that if I took a turn at 50mph I would be amazed vs. the standard suspension.? The car will go 150mph with either, so what exactly do I have to gain?

I personally like the style 124 wheels so I would probably put those on my standard suspension vehicle and use the 17" rims for winters, if that is what I went with.

Are the stiffer shocks and the ARC worth $2300?? Or will I be happy with the standard suspension and the better wheels?? I am 30 y/o with wife and two kids, do not plan on racing this car.? I have a year and a half here in Germany then it is off to Missouri.? I cannot exceed 80mph in Missouri without encountering a trooper with their high saturation.

HELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]152538[/snapback]
I have virtually the same car and demographics as you. I agree with others in that the sports package is a better handling car around tight corners, but to be honest, there aren't too many hard turns that I take at 50 mph, so I don't miss the Active Roll Stablization. The car still handles very good without the sports option and you get the longer lasting tires, little softer ride, and a couple extra grand in your pocket. Just another viewpoint...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

NBarco-- I disagree with the posts claiming that the ARS is only noticable at high speeds on sharp turns. The ARS is noticable even on 15MPH turns around town. It is a great feature for everyday driving, not just for the track. That is absurd.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:36 PM
NBarco-- I disagree with the posts claiming that the ARS is only noticable at high speeds on sharp turns.? The ARS is noticable even on 15MPH turns around town.? It is a great feature for everyday driving, not just for the track.? That is absurd.
[snapback]152965[/snapback]

BMW's original ARS development was done on the 7 Series, and its testing was centered around body roll at various speeds - not necessarily absolute cornering ability.

I personally hate cars that lean in turns or dive during braking, so for me it's not absolute cornering I'm after, but rather more disciplined dynamics without sacrificing ride quality. This is arguably the real goal of ARS.

This .pdf was posted here a while back, I always have trouble finding it so I'm re-posting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DynamicDrive.pdf (387.2 KB, 545 views)
Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

UUronL-- thanks for the post. Proof that ARS is working all the time including at low speeds.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Once you've driven the e60 with sports package, you can't drive anything else. Driving other cars or without the sports package makes you a danger to society and the people that drives around you. You will at times feel like you can take corners and weave like an e60 with the sports package...oops!!! You opted not to get the sports package.

If not sports package, then I recommend after market suspension and wheels and add comfort seat. Your loss on active steering IMHO. Just not the same without it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

Red,

I am ordering through Wurzburg and they contacted me yesterday to advise me that the base price dropped $400. So the base on the 530i is now $41,000. That is great news! I would definitely go with the Comfort Seats. After reading so much on here, I am hearing that the sports seats get uncomfortable after a couple hours of driving. Even though that is not the bulk of my driving, I often do drive distances and that would be worth the 1200. I recently got out of a Volvo S60T AWD and the seats were awesome comfortable. My wife's Land Rover LR3 could use some comfort seats. I want this vehicle experience to really surpass the Volvo. Despite what everyone here says, the Volvo was a great car, but I agree it is not a BMW or Mercedes.

I also, test drove a vehicle with HUD and I could not justify the extra $1000. That might be a matter of taste. I remember about 10 years ago when Pontiacs had this option. It was not a popular sell then and I don't think it is going to catch on now.

As for Logic 7, I am definitley getting it. Most of us are never content with what is out there if it is better than what we have. My Volvo had premium sound, and it was great. But there was a better Dolby Pro Logic system out. I had to get pricing for the changeover and was never happy knowing I did not get the top of the line. The standard BMW sound system experiences distortion at higher volumes, it then sounds like Ford Focus sound system. I have the Logic 7 in my wife's Land Rover and it is very good. I say very good, not great. I think this is because of the size of the LR and the acoustics. Land Rover also did not do too much research on placement of the lows. They put them in the doors, so when a song plays that has bass the door rattles. BMW's idea of putting them in the floor was head on.

One last thing, since I have been mentioning the Land Rover, I am a BMW fan, however after looking at the X5 and the LR3 the decision was easy to make. Those of you that are hardcore BMW folks go in with an open mind if you are in the maret for an X5 and consider the Land Rover LR3. This truck is awesome!!!!!

Originally Posted by Red' date='Jul 25 2005, 09:32 PM
I ordered a 530i with Oct delivery, also Mil Sales (Stuttgart).? I drove a 530i with sport package but no Active Steering.? It was noticeably firmer ride,? but honestly I only felt the ARS once during a 2 hr test drive...kinda tight autobahn exit at about 90kph.

I've heard the run flats are a bit noisier than the standards,? but didn't notice it.

In my opinion...once again only a 2 hr test drive, I think if you will be max performing the car by all means get the sport.? From your post, I suspect you will take it back to the states next year like I will and get only rare opportunities to max perform, so the sport will go unused and you will have to put up with the run flats in the meantime not to mention the extra $2K

I'd like to know your comparison between the Premium seats (which seem great) and the comfort seats (which we hope to test out tomorrow among other things).

I ordered:
Black sapphire/Black Dakota
Steptronic
Premium pkg
Nav
CWP
PDC
Rear side air bags
BMW Ship Home

Going to add:
Sat Prep
Maybe sport...
Maybe comfort seats...
Maybe HUD...
Maybe Logic 7...

OK gang, let me have it on the Sports pkg!
[snapback]152937[/snapback]
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.
Talking

[quote name='nbarco' date='Jul 26 2005, 09:20 AM']
Red,

I am ordering through Wurzburg and they contacted me yesterday to advise me that the base price dropped $400. So the base on the 530i is now $41,000. That is great news! I would definitely go with the Comfort Seats. After reading so much on here, I am hearing that the sports seats get uncomfortable after a couple hours of driving. Even though that is not the bulk of my driving, I often do drive distances and that would be worth the 1200. I recently got out of a Volvo S60T AWD and the seats were awesome comfortable. My wife's Land Rover LR3 could use some comfort seats. I want this vehicle experience to really surpass the Volvo. Despite what everyone here says, the Volvo was a great car, but I agree it is not a BMW or Mercedes.

I also, test drove a vehicle with HUD and I could not justify the extra $1000. That might be a matter of taste. I remember about 10 years ago when Pontiacs had this option. It was not a popular sell then and I don't think it is going to catch on now.

As for Logic 7, I am definitley getting it. Most of us are never content with what is out there if it is better than what we have. My Volvo had premium sound, and it was great. But there was a better Dolby Pro Logic system out. I had to get pricing for the changeover and was never happy knowing I did not get the top of the line. The standard BMW sound system experiences distortion at higher volumes, it then sounds like Ford Focus sound system. I have the Logic 7 in my wife's Land Rover and it is very good. I say very good, not great. I think this is because of the size of the LR and the acoustics. Land Rover also did not do too much research on placement of the lows. They put them in the doors, so when a song plays that has bass the door rattles. BMW's idea of putting them in the floor was head on.

One last thing, since I have been mentioning the Land Rover, I am a BMW fan, however after looking at the X5 and the LR3 the decision was easy to make. Those of you that are hardcore BMW folks go in with an open mind if you are in the maret for an X5 and consider the Land Rover LR3. This truck is awesome!!!!!

Great news on the lower base price...gives me more bucks to buy more goodies! Thanks for the heads up.

Looked at cars again today at dealership. Turns out our salesperson was wrong; the seats we fell in love with last week were indeed comfort seats, so that is certainly in.

On the Logic 7, main differences I can detect are high end response cleaner and much better base (sub woofer??) in the L7. Its certainly a better system...just deciding if it is really $1800 better. Anybody know about any after market subwoofer options?

Lastly, I'll concede the HUD is something of a gimmick, but I will probably get one anyway. After 2,000 in a HUD-equipped aircraft, this might be the last vehicle I get to operate that has one!

Stutttgart is delivering a 530i with L7 next week. I talked them into letting me listen to it side by side with std system, so will make the decision then.

What colors did u order?
R,
Red
Old 07-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

go with sport IMO. Sport pkg with the comfort seats is the way to go, although I have the sport seats. the sport package lowers your car, gives you the wheel size this car was meant to have, and handles like hell.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Members

nbarco,

HEY MAN!!! GO TO SCHWEINFURT TO BUY YOUR CAR!!! Yes I am yelling!!!
Talk to a BMW Rep by the name of Tony Santaniello. He will square you away, plus, up some freebies in order to get your business. He's very professional. The reason I suggest this dealer, .... I had a real bad experience with the Rhein staff (Donal Delaney and Katja) while purchasing my wifes' 2004 325 Ci. No follow-on customer service. Hell, Donal didn't even bother to show up for delivery!!! TWICE!!! Weak at best!!! You shouldn't pay that much money in a vehicle and get poor customer service. Do yourself a favor, if you haven't ordered as of now, and go to the MAIN BMW dealer right off the autobahn in Schweinfurt, you won't be disappointed. See Tony!!! I promise you, you won't be disappointed. I don't even mind if you tell the Rhein BMW staff I said so.

MSG Jackson

Quick Reply: 530i With or W/O Sports Package