Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

530i With or W/O Sports Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

I am ordering the 2006 530i, September build. I test drove a 525i with sports package and it was a great riding vehicle. I actually was content with the speed and handling. I have not had the opportunity to drive a non-sport package vehicle, and won't have the opportunity either through the military sales program, as there is not a demonstrator available. What is the big difference? I am getting comfort seats so the sports seats don't mean anything to me. I do not really like run flats, so that is not a benefit either. I am more concerned with the Active Roll Control and the stiffer shocks. Does this take out 90% of the roll or does it just imporve it by 25%? Are the shocks that much stiffer that if I took a turn at 50mph I would be amazed vs. the standard suspension. The car will go 150mph with either, so what exactly do I have to gain?

I personally like the style 124 wheels so I would probably put those on my standard suspension vehicle and use the 17" rims for winters, if that is what I went with.

Are the stiffer shocks and the ARC worth $2300? Or will I be happy with the standard suspension and the better wheels? I am 30 y/o with wife and two kids, do not plan on racing this car. I have a year and a half here in Germany then it is off to Missouri. I cannot exceed 80mph in Missouri without encountering a trooper with their high saturation.

HELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Yes. Get the sports package. The combination of the active roll stabalization and the active steering set the E60 apart from any other car on the road in my opinion. Its not just a slight improvement over the base model-- its a substantial noticeable improvement. The ARS keeps the car remarkably level-- it truly works wonders. The handling is superb and if you don't get them you'll always wish you had them.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Side Question: Do you folks using the military sales program get any room for negotiation? It seems like your prices are very close to ED prices, which is very negotiable Stateside.

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Jul 24 2005, 01:35 PM
I am ordering the 2006 530i, September build.? I test drove a 525i with sports package and it was a great riding vehicle.? I actually was content with the speed and handling.? I have not had the opportunity to drive a non-sport package vehicle, and won't have the opportunity either through the military sales program, as there is not a demonstrator available.? What is the big difference?? I am getting comfort seats so the sports seats don't mean anything to me.? I do not really like run flats, so that is not a benefit either.? I am more concerned with the Active Roll Control and the stiffer shocks.? Does this take out 90% of the roll or does it just imporve it by 25%?? Are the shocks that much stiffer that if I took a turn at 50mph I would be amazed vs. the standard suspension.? The car will go 150mph with either, so what exactly do I have to gain?

I personally like the style 124 wheels so I would probably put those on my standard suspension vehicle and use the 17" rims for winters, if that is what I went with.

Are the stiffer shocks and the ARC worth $2300?? Or will I be happy with the standard suspension and the better wheels?? I am 30 y/o with wife and two kids, do not plan on racing this car.? I have a year and a half here in Germany then it is off to Missouri.? I cannot exceed 80mph in Missouri without encountering a trooper with their high saturation.

[snapback]152538[/snapback]
Old 07-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 2006 Jet Black w/tan leather. Premium package; Sport Package; Sat Radio

The other thing you get is the active xeon headlights as standard. There are great. As for the 530i ride with sport....i have never drove a better handling car!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

Robert,

Our militasry sales prices are set in stone. They are quite a bit lower than stateside ED pricing. Besides, these are tax free purchases. So that is another chunk of change. Unfornunately, the dealers all go through BMW and they are not allowed to negotiate.

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Jul 25 2005, 03:32 AM
Yes.? Get the sports package.? The combination of the active roll stabalization and the active steering set the E60 apart from any other car on the road in my opinion.? Its not just a slight improvement over the base model-- its a substantial noticeable improvement.? ? The ARS keeps the car remarkably level-- it truly works wonders.? ? The handling is superb and if you don't get them you'll always wish you had them.
[snapback]152626[/snapback]
Old 07-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Members

I drove both the other weekend. Going into it, I felt about the same as you - 18" run flats and sport seats not preferred. Also, I'm not a racer or looking to do anything outrageous. I will be getting the Sport Package. After driving both there is no comparison. The sport handling is so superior and solid. When you take a turn, the car really sticks to the road. I set off the DSC several times during both of my drives. The non-Sport felt like it might not stay on track, the Sport hung on like a champ with no indication of a loss of control. My internal justification for the extra $2K is that the car feels more solid and WILL handle better in any type of emergency situation. The Sport Package isn't about speed, it is about handling.

. . . And it is a lot more fun to drive!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Jul 24 2005, 03:35 PM
I am ordering the 2006 530i, September build.? I test drove a 525i with sports package and it was a great riding vehicle.? I actually was content with the speed and handling.? I have not had the opportunity to drive a non-sport package vehicle, and won't have the opportunity either through the military sales program, as there is not a demonstrator available.? What is the big difference?? I am getting comfort seats so the sports seats don't mean anything to me.? I do not really like run flats, so that is not a benefit either.? I am more concerned with the Active Roll Control and the stiffer shocks.? Does this take out 90% of the roll or does it just imporve it by 25%?? Are the shocks that much stiffer that if I took a turn at 50mph I would be amazed vs. the standard suspension.? The car will go 150mph with either, so what exactly do I have to gain?

Are the stiffer shocks and the ARC worth $2300?? Or will I be happy with the standard suspension and the better wheels?? I am 30 y/o with wife and two kids, do not plan on racing this car.? I have a year and a half here in Germany then it is off to Missouri.? I cannot exceed 80mph in Missouri without encountering a trooper with their high saturation.

[snapback]152538[/snapback]

The 5er sports package is the best new car equipment option on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CVT Benhogan
Old 07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

I ordered a 530i with Oct delivery, also Mil Sales (Stuttgart). I drove a 530i with sport package but no Active Steering. It was noticeably firmer ride, but honestly I only felt the ARS once during a 2 hr test drive...kinda tight autobahn exit at about 90kph.

I've heard the run flats are a bit noisier than the standards, but didn't notice it.

In my opinion...once again only a 2 hr test drive, I think if you will be max performing the car by all means get the sport. From your post, I suspect you will take it back to the states next year like I will and get only rare opportunities to max perform, so the sport will go unused and you will have to put up with the run flats in the meantime not to mention the extra $2K

I'd like to know your comparison between the Premium seats (which seem great) and the comfort seats (which we hope to test out tomorrow among other things).

I ordered:
Black sapphire/Black Dakota
Steptronic
Premium pkg
Nav
CWP
PDC
Rear side air bags
BMW Ship Home

Going to add:
Sat Prep
Maybe sport...
Maybe comfort seats...
Maybe HUD...
Maybe Logic 7...

OK gang, let me have it on the Sports pkg!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by maver' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:13 PM
I drove both the other weekend.? Going into it, I felt about the same as you - 18" run flats and sport seats not preferred.? Also, I'm not a racer or looking to do anything outrageous.? I will be getting the Sport Package.? After driving both there is no comparison.? The sport handling is so superior and solid.? When you take a turn, the car really sticks to the road.? I set off the DSC several times during both of my drives.? The non-Sport felt like it might not stay on track, the Sport hung on like a champ with no indication of a loss of control.? My internal justification for the extra $2K is that the car feels more solid and WILL handle better in any type of emergency situation.? The Sport Package isn't about speed, it is about handling.

. . . And it is a lot more fun to drive!
[snapback]152928[/snapback]

Yup! Tested numbers confirm what we all describe:

Car and Driver:

530i Sport - .90g
530i non-sport - .82g
Old 07-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

[quote name='Robert A' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:46 AM']
Side Question: Do you folks using the military sales program get any room for negotiation? It seems like your prices are very close to ED prices, which is very negotiable Stateside.

No wiggle room at all in Stuttgart. Mil Sales outfits have to go right to BMW, so no deals. My outfit did throw in the European nav DVD and the thick floor mats though. We get about a 10% discount off MSRP on base price, but pay full MSRP on options. No tax though!

Quick Reply: 530i With or W/O Sports Package