Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

530i vs. 745i

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to start by saying that this forum is one of the best I have been to for any topic and although this is my first post, I come here almost daily to find out more about my great vehicle.

I purchased an early build e60 530i and dont have the possibility to get NAV or bluetooth as I initially desired. Alhtough It was an expensive car, I do have a budget and I cannot afford to trade for an 05'.

I recently looked at some 02' 745s at my dealer and can get one for a minimal cost difference. I still would not get bluetooth but could get NAV a V8 and other goodies i.e. heated seats, larger wheels that would eliminate the need for aftermarket ones.

I know they are very different cars, and I prefer the sportier feel of the E60, but cannot overlook issues like re-sale value.

Does anyone have any insight or any other facts I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, PGODFAT !

IMHO, if you want a sportier feel, stay with the 5.
I wouldn't trade a 5 for a 7.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by PGODFAT' date='Jan 10 2005, 04:49 PM
I would like to start by saying that this forum is one of the best I have been to for any topic and although this is my first post, I come here almost daily to find out more about my great vehicle.

I purchased an early build e60 530i and dont have the possibility to get NAV or bluetooth as I initially desired.? Alhtough It was an expensive car, I do have a budget and I cannot afford to trade for an 05'.

I recently looked at some 02' 745s at my dealer and can get one for a minimal cost difference. I still would not get bluetooth but could get NAV a V8 and other goodies i.e. heated seats, larger wheels that would eliminate the need for aftermarket ones.

I know they are very different cars, and I prefer the sportier feel of the E60, but cannot overlook issues like re-sale value.

Does anyone have any insight or any other facts I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any replies
[snapback]77912[/snapback]
IMHO, I would hang in there with your own car. To trade to an older car, would be a mistake. You may have an early build 04 E60, but you are going to really early first edition I-drive and NAV with the 02. If you want the larger car and extra luxury go for it, but I still think your resale value with an E60 is better than with a 7 body style that is about to be refreshed.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Welcome to the forum PGODFAT!

I would advise you to stick with your E60. YOu can get external GPS from Circuit City or any electronic store. Remember that the first year depreciation is the most and maybe you should hang on to your car for a couple of years and get other new cars.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

PGODFAT,

I would keep your E60 for at least three years, and probably as long as you planned to keep it when you purchased it. I don't know if you've had any significant problems, but I do know that almost all 2002 7-series had some, and many that could not even be fixed with hardware. I too considered a used 7 due to my two children and the larger, more luxuriouly appointed interior, but I opted to stick with the 5. When I did my research, there were many buy back 2002 7-series with software and other problems. I met a guy at the barbershop who had a 2003 745, and he told me that he used to have a 5, his missed his 5, but that he was enjoying his 7, but not as much as driving the 5. I think the 7 fit him more because of his three boys he had with him. He did tell me that if I got one, to avoid the 2002. I then went to my SA and told him that I was considering getting a used 7 instead of the 5, and he told me that he would gladly sell me one if I wanted him to, but he would advise against buying any 2002, no matter what the build date. He said there are problems with that MY that will never be fixed. I took his word for it, and I do believe what he said. There are plenty of good deals on 2002 7s, but I believe those are people ending leases, or they too are trying to get out of their deals.

Whatever your decision, good luck. On the roadfly 7 board, there were some people that had trouble free 2002 7s, but then how do you know if you are getting a gem or a dud?

Keep us posted.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

2002 745's are problematic nightmares. Luckily, they extended the warranty.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

Welcome I think for the sporty effect the 530 leads all other cars for the lux. items the 7 would do, but its to big to much of a grandpa car
Old 01-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Members

Thanks for all of the replies so far...

I am leaning towards keeping my 5.. maybe I will bite the bullet and get a 545 when a significant change has been made and I have the extra cash..

I guess I will get those Schnitzer rims now
Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

Any chance the dealer will let you have the 7 series for a few days so you can really get an idea if you like it? The benefits on the 7 are more power, more room, navigation & longer warranty. As others have mentioned, I would also scrutinize the car's history. Any lingering issues I would just walk.

I personally like the 5 series over the 7, but you need to decide. The fact you are considering the move leads me to believe you are not truly enamored with your series. Would the cost difference be substantially greater then upgrading your wheels? good luck deciding
Old 01-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

No to 7, keep the 5. More nimble, cooler design, yada yada, yada....

Quick Reply: 530i vs. 745i