Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

530i Deceptive Sales Practice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I need your advice to see if you think the sales practice of my car was deceptive and if I should demand a full refund.

Found a 2006 530i at a dealer here in Southern California over the weekend. Drove it, read the brochures while I was at the dealership, bought it.

Next to the regular BMW sticker on the window was a "BMC Center Installed Options" list which indicated floor mats, permaplate, and Lojack.

Being from Minnesota, I thought Permaplate was some type of rust proofing underbody coat. A rip off I thought, but that's life. When in the finance office I was overed "teflon coating" for the interior & exterior". I bought it not realizing it was the same as permaplate.

The dealer detailed the car and I took delivery after waiting about an hour.

As the sales guy was given me the orientation, I asked why it didn't have the start/stop button. He hold me not all of the 530i's had them. I shrugged my shoulders.

When I got home I was reading the window sticker and it indicated floor mats were standard. So I began to wonder why I was being charged $155 for floor mats.

I called the sales guy today. He told me floor mats were standard and I wasn't charged. I asked him about the Start/Stop button and he said only newer 2006's have it. I told him I thought this was deceptive marketing since the sales brochure indicates it's standard. I began to wonder what else I was missing.

Well, if I wasn't charged extra for the floor mats, I began to wonder about the LoJack. Called him back. He told me no, you don't have LoJack. This is when I lost it. I told him the sticker on the window clearly indicated it had LoJack and this was definately deceptive marketing bordering on fraud. He told me he had no idea what sticker I was talking about, that they get cars from many dealers with stickers that don't mean anything. At this point I told him I had lost all confidence and wanted a full refund. He said California doesn't provide for a cooling off period and the contract stands as it is.

Well I faxed him the BMW Installed Options sticker and they're suddently having a change of heart. They'll install a LoJack at no cost to me as a "courtesy". He said the sticker indicated what options were "available".

But I'm still upset. Not knowing about the plate with the production date at the time, I just checked it now. It's June 2005! This new car is nine months old. You could argue that its still new since it only had 100 miles on it, but I'm upset because it's not the car they are now advertising and marketing. And this whole fiasco with the Installed Options sticker just pisses me off.

Am I out of line for insisting on a full refund? Besides the Start/Stop button, are there any other changes from June 2005 to now?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

You better check the version of engine you have the 231hp(old) and 258hp(new) is a big difference.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

If it's a 2006 model, I am pretty sure kehenaguy has the new engine with 255hp in it. I think it's hard for you to make a case with "Start/Stop Button", you test drove the car before the purchase, you should know the car doesn't have the button. You also negotiate the price base on this particalar car. It is true that early 2006 doesn't have start/stop button.

The floor mats should be included, they shouldn't charge you extra for that.

LoJack is not standard, so I have no comment..

When any car dealer ask me to buy teflon coating for my car, I usually tell them if the car is this cheap and require me to buy all these, maybe I shouldn't buy this car, that usually shut their mouth, and stop selling me other stuffs.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

Not all 255 hp 530Is have a start button. My wifes car was del last June b/4 they were installing the start button.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

Only the post September productions have the start/stop button. Another minor change is chrome grill/kidney bars. Some dealers I went to offerred $1K difference for these models. Sorry about your bad experience. I have learnt that I have always to prepare and know exactly what I want before making a visit to car dealers.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

By the way.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations with your new purchase!!
After you're done dealing with the car sales, you will enjoy your new e60.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='245608' date='Feb 24 2006, 04:13 PM
By the way.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations with your new purchase!!
After you're done dealing with the car sales, you will enjoy your new e60.
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

Well, I don't want to sound negative, but the fact that dealership took advantage of you is completely and 100% your fault. Come on - why didn't you ask where the lojack is and how it operates before the purchase? Where in the world have you seen a new car without floormats? And if you didn't know what a Permaplate is, why didn't you ask?

But in any case - you drove hte car, you liked it, and you bought it. So, deal with the dealership, get your options that they have promised or a refund for them, and enjoy your car - because you bought a hell of a car!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Members

My Ride: ED '07 530 soon to replace my ML500 previous: '00 540i6, '98 V70T-5, '95 318i, '89 Jetta, '79 Beetle Conv.

caveat emptor!

And enjoy your new E60!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by kehenaguy' post='245583' date='Feb 24 2006, 05:11 PM
Next to the regular BMW sticker on the window was a "BMC Center Installed Options" list which indicated floor mats, permaplate, and Lojack.
The regular BMW sticker is called the Monroney Sticker. It should show the base price, the manufacturer?s installed options with the manufacturer?s suggested retail price, the manufacturer?s transportation charge, and the fuel economy (mileage). Affixed to the car window, this label is required by federal law, and may be removed only by the purchaser.
Dealer Sticker Price, usually on a supplemental sticker, is the Monroney sticker price plus the suggested retail price of dealer-installed options, such as additional dealer markup (ADM) or additional dealer profit (ADP), dealer preparation, and undercoating.

If there is anything on these stickers that are not actually in the car (like the LoJack you mentioned), then the dealer is violating the law. You can contact the Federal Trade Commission, your State's Attorney, and the BBB and get remediation.

Why do you think they agreed to install the Lojack for free after the fact??

Quick Reply: 530i Deceptive Sales Practice?