Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

520d or 525d ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 525d SE Imperial Blue, Oyster Leather, Visibility Pack, Business Nav, Sports Automatic, Front seat Heating, Logic7 Loudspeaker System

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='238508' date='Feb 11 2006, 08:36 PM
[
If you plan for 42mpg out of a 530D you will be disappointed. Even with a manual transmission you will need to be doing most of your mileage on open roads at 50-60 mph to get that.

My 530D auto averages 28 - 29 mpg on a mixture of A roads, Motorway and town driving, and I do not work it too hard.

The difference between the 520 and 530 is sheer driving pleasure, the 530 goes like stink when you ask it to. It makes short work of the 'shall I , shan't I ' overtake situation. And when you get the uphill strech with a truck ahead of you, no problem it just powers away up the hill and you get past whilst others are still thinking about it.

As somebody posted in another thread recently 'if you take the plain vanilla 530D you get 90% of the car for 60% of the price. Sod the toys, get a car !
Keith,

My E39 525d SE was quoted at 42mpg combined when I bought it & I've managed to get 43 mpg so I reckon the combined test figures re pretty close to my driving 'style' So if quoted combined for current 530d manual is 42 mpg, why shouldn't I get it ?

I'd prefer manual to auto anyway........

Going back to the original question, I found the 520d noticeably noisier than my E39 525d (I guess that must be the difference between 4- and 6-cylinders). I can't wait until spring 2007 for an enhanced 525d so I may go for the 530d & hang the extra expense.

Anyone got any thoughts on colours ? I want something a little bit different, i.e. not Silver Grey. Maybe Titanium Grey ? Wife likes Olivin......? Could compromise on a fairly neutral titanium silver. IMO dark colours do not show the shadow line etc too well
Old 02-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Members

I had an e39 525d and changed it to an E60 520d in Dec 2005. I would swap them back tomorrow. 520d is noisy and lacks the lowdown torque at take off. its mpg is actually worse ! now get high 30's but in 525 would get 41 when i thrashed it and high 40's itf i eased off a little. I hope mpg may get easier as the engine wears it done 4000 miles so far. Logic 7 sounds great but no MP3 as did not get pro radio.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

my last car was 320cd - it was nice enough and quick but it sounded like a tractor. To me getting a 5 series was about refinement and a thrashy engine just couldn't cut it.

I looked at the 525d, 530d and 530i. Of which the petrol engine (surprisingly) was the first to be discounted.

Once I'd settled on the diesel it was simple - I went for the fastest car I could afford.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Hi, I'm new on here so go easy on me. It's a very informative forum, I hope you'll let me hang around.

On the subject of 520d or 525d I went through a similar thing recently and tried a 520d, 525dA and 530dA back to back. My finding were tainted by the fact that I will probably do quite a low mileage and that it was to be company purchase and that therefore low emissions were the key.

520d. Fast enough, but hardly a rocket, good for cruising, but on "A" roads would never give you the confidence to go for a gap! Manual 'box was good, but the width of the car meant that the gearlever was a long way away and didn't fall naturally to hand. I like four pots in preference to sixes, I find them more characterful and less turbine like, I like the way they vibrate at different revs to show they're alive, a little like prefering a Triumph Triple or Ducati V Twin to a Honda Four. Bit dissapointed really because it was very smooth.

525dA. Again fast enough, but frankly was overwhelmed by the Auto box. Performance a little better than the 520d manual but not enough to justify the extra tax. The 'box was nice but the engine didn't have the torque to carry it off convincingly.

530dA. A rocket, frankly. As much power as anyone could justifiably need on the road. With the Auto 'box, which is very well matched, my licence would be shredded within a week because the way it comes out of roundabouts and then hammers through the gears has you at three figures before you realise it.

Saloon/Touring. Found the rear suspension in the Touring rather harsh and upset by road irregularities. Saloon is still not helped by the Run-Flats but the rear suspension is better resolved and the front rear balance is spot on.Ok, this is to be expected as it is probably what you're paying for.

SE/M-Sport. Found the seats in the SE rather lacking in support. I sometimes do 700 miles in a day so this is rather important, my current car is perfectly comfortable for this period, the SE gave both myself and my partner backache in under 45mins. M-Sport seats were fine. The run-flats on the SE were noisier than the M-Sport. The steering in the SE was heavier than the M-Sport. Once the tyres were warm the M-Sport was more comfortable and sweeter handling! Big surprise. My own feeling is that I wouldn't have an SE with the standard seats, Wheels, Tyres and suspension.

So I went for a 520d M-Sport with a wodge of options. My Company Car budget would have allowed me a 535dA M-Sport, but I was reluctant to pay the tax. For me personally it wasn't worth it. However for a private purchase I would probably have had less toys and gone for a 530dA or 535dA!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='239662' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:56 PM
Hi, I'm new on here so go easy on me. It's a very informative forum, I hope you'll let me hang around.

530dA. A rocket, frankly. As much power as anyone could justifiably need on the road. With the Auto 'box, which is very well matched, my licence would be shredded within a week because the way it comes out of roundabouts and then hammers through the gears has you at three figures before you realise it.
Which 530d was this? The 'new' one?

I understand you choices!

Personally, I'm waiting for the updated diesel engine to hit the 535d. However, if I can convice the wife to stop looking at expensive houses, I might try the updated 530d myself - definitely M Sport
Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by derbyjj' post='239630' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:07 PM
I had an e39 525d and changed it to an E60 520d in Dec 2005. I would swap them back tomorrow. 520d is noisy and lacks the lowdown torque at take off. its mpg is actually worse ! now get high 30's but in 525 would get 41 when i thrashed it and high 40's itf i eased off a little. I hope mpg may get easier as the engine wears it done 4000 miles so far. Logic 7 sounds great but no MP3 as did not get pro radio.
If you've got L7, then you've got the Professional Radio by default.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

520d > 525d?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by derbyjj' post='239630' date='Feb 13 2006, 11:07 PM

Have you checked your mpg manually between fill ups. As described in another thread my computer shows 38-39 mpg but i have calculated that it is actually doing 44-45 mpg.

As for the power i wanted to retain the low company car tax position that the 520d gives. Spend ?500 on a remap or pbox and you have much more power than a 525d (in fact similar to orig 530d's) and it makes the engine smoother.

And if people tell you that the pbox damages the engine well i did 110000 miles in a Volvo S60 with one on and no problems. It is removed and refitted in 30 minutes when taking the car in for service
Old 02-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Welcome Nevermind!

Don't mind what others say! You will find out if that was not right choice for You and as company car driver You can correct your course if there is anything to correct.

Skaffa
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d black on black sport seats, shadow line rear and side sunshades, sport wheel, brushed aluminium interior trim, sunroof, ......

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='238075' date='Feb 10 2006, 10:55 PM
Cheers doctorwolf, and welcome.

525d is for taxis and police use.

excuse me how is 525d for taxis ?????? :'(

My 177 HP 525d does more then getting me here and there and is an amazing car much better then the 525i at least more torque and less consumption.

520d is a great bargain but again I beleive in bigger is better when i got mine I just didnt want to have to pay so much tax on the 530D here in Tunisia (200% luxury tax) and 535d is not allowed by BMW dealer (they wave the warranty)

dont hate !!!

Quick Reply: 520d or 525d ?