Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

5% downpayment in advance to order from Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

I finally met with the dealer, test drove a 550i. Really a great car. Love the Monaco Blue and Beige interior, that's a done deal folks!

Anyway he wrote up what I wanted (2007 prices are not 100% final so that may be adjusted). car came to about $66K MSRP with my options (2007 550, manual, nasca leather, sport, cold, logic 7, shades). Per this board I plan on talking them down to $1500 over invoice which should get me to about $62 - 63K

My question is this; he said they would expect a 5% non-refundable downpayment to order this car. He said if I did it today he could do for $2500.

Does anyone know if this is standard for ordering a car from Germany?

He did state that because there are SO FEW manual 550i's, that I need to take that into account. I presume if I got Step instead of manual that it might be less of a downpayment but my question really come down to this being an arbritary $ number or do they make this up from dealership to dealership and car to car?

He and I went back and forth on the pro's and con's of manual vs. Step. I really want that clutch and feel, but he warned that it kills resale down the road. That the resale in a manual vs. step a few years from now can be thousands in difference. Think that is a true statement? (flip side is if there are so few manuals, then by having one I should be ahead of the game when wanting to sell the car, no?) He didn't try to talk me out of step and was very straight shooter on the subject.

I told him I would get back to him. Your thoughts and advice on both issues, but especially the downpayment, are appreciated.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Well, my dealer asked for a "non-refundable" deposit of $2k, however, I'm fairly certain if push came to shove, they wouldn't be able to hold the deposit if I backed away from the car. The dealer's do have legitimate concerns about options that are hard to move, and the manual transmission is one. 5% seems a bit steep to me, and it sort of feels like they are trying to force your hand a bit. As for whether you get the manual or not......I think resale would be easier with the step, but you are not buying the car for resale, you are buying the car for enjoyment. If you have driven the manual, and like it.......well, I say buy it!! I wanted a manual, but didn't like the long throw of the gearbox, so I opted for the step....I still have mixed feelings about it too!! Let me know what you decide........
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='247373' date='Feb 28 2006, 03:01 PM
Well, my dealer asked for a "non-refundable" deposit of $2k, however, I'm fairly certain if push came to shove, they wouldn't be able to hold the deposit if I backed away from the car. The dealer's do have legitimate concerns about options that are hard to move, and the manual transmission is one. 5% seems a bit steep to me, and it sort of feels like they are trying to force your hand a bit. As for whether you get the manual or not......I think resale would be easier with the step, but you are not buying the car for resale, you are buying the car for enjoyment. If you have driven the manual, and like it.......well, I say buy it!! I wanted a manual, but didn't like the long throw of the gearbox, so I opted for the step....I still have mixed feelings about it too!! Let me know what you decide........

I figured as much, they just need a commitment of some sort. 3.5% was just a number. Q: what do you mean by "long throw" of the gear box? seemed pretty smooth (clutch) to me when shifting. I have Step now in my 2002 530i and really miss the sound and feel of stick.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='247356' date='Feb 28 2006, 03:28 PM
I finally met with the dealer, test drove a 550i. Really a great car. Love the Monaco Blue and Beige interior, that's a done deal folks!

Anyway he wrote up what I wanted (2007 prices are not 100% final so that may be adjusted). car came to about $66K MSRP with my options (2007 550, manual, nasca leather, sport, cold, logic 7, shades). Per this board I plan on talking them down to $1500 over invoice which should get me to about $62 - 63K

My question is this; he said they would expect a 5% non-refundable downpayment to order this car. He said if I did it today he could do for $2500.

Does anyone know if this is standard for ordering a car from Germany?

He did state that because there are SO FEW manual 550i's, that I need to take that into account. I presume if I got Step instead of manual that it might be less of a downpayment but my question really come down to this being an arbritary $ number or do they make this up from dealership to dealership and car to car?

He and I went back and forth on the pro's and con's of manual vs. Step. I really want that clutch and feel, but he warned that it kills resale down the road. That the resale in a manual vs. step a few years from now can be thousands in difference. Think that is a true statement? (flip side is if there are so few manuals, then by having one I should be ahead of the game when wanting to sell the car, no?) He didn't try to talk me out of step and was very straight shooter on the subject.

I told him I would get back to him. Your thoughts and advice on both issues, but especially the downpayment, are appreciated.
Same color combo as the 550 I have on order. Is yours a Euro Delivery? Is yours $1500 over euro invoice or us invoice?

I think if you get manual you just have to plan on keeping the car for a while. I think that like you there are some people that would rather have a manual so I dont think it would kill resale if you sell it yourself. You will just have to wait longer to find a buyer. If you decide to trade the car it will kill resale cause the dealership won't want to keep it in their inventory longer.

Get the car you want and just plan that when you do sell it that it will take you longer to find the right buyer.

Good Luck. Great color combo...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='247404' date='Feb 28 2006, 03:50 PM
Same color combo as the 550 I have on order. Is yours a Euro Delivery? Is yours $1500 over euro invoice or us invoice?

I think if you get manual you just have to plan on keeping the car for a while. I think that like you there are some people that would rather have a manual so I dont think it would kill resale if you sell it yourself. You will just have to wait longer to find a buyer. If you decide to trade the car it will kill resale cause the dealership won't want to keep it in their inventory longer.

Get the car you want and just plan that when you do sell it that it will take you longer to find the right buyer.
Good Luck. Great color combo...
I doubt I am doing Euro delivery, I was asking for $1500 over invoice delivered to USA.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Members

Ordered my 550i earlier this month. Monaco Blue, Beige Nasca ventilated, Steptronic, Sport, Nav, Comfort Access, Folding Rear seats, HD radio, Logic 7. Was not quoted a price, but was told it would be about $3k over invoice, what ever that turns out to be. I was then asked for a $500 fully refundable deposit. I'm in SoCal.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

I had to down $5,000 on my car and they forgot the heated seats i wanted.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dee' post='247564' date='Feb 28 2006, 09:30 PM
I had to down $5,000 on my car and they forgot the heated seats i wanted.
and they didn't do anything for you? did you report to BMW NA? My salesman pointed out a car he screwed up ordering and said they had to eat it; it was a manual 530ix and was on his show room floor.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:08 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='247571' date='Feb 28 2006, 06:44 PM
and they didn't do anything for you? did you report to BMW NA? My salesman pointed out a car he screwed up ordering and said they had to eat it; it was a manual 530ix and was on his show room floor.
I was so happy when i got the car i didn't care at the time,but now that it's colder i'm pissed off.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Contributors

When I ordered my 545i SMG Euro Delivery they did not want any deposit at all, but I think that was because I was buying it from the same guy that I have bought all my cars from in the past 11 years, and he happened to be the sales manager when I ordered the 545. The most I have had to pay in the past has been a $500 deposit.

Quick Reply: 5% downpayment in advance to order from Germany?