Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

2006 spy pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, i was only kidding guys.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jul 11 2005, 06:56 PM
BTW, i was only kidding guys.
[snapback]148049[/snapback]

Ohhh common' don't worry about it. We all know it's true they're necessary evil...
Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by huy' date='Jul 11 2005, 12:04 PM
[quote name='MARCUS545' date='Jul 11 2005, 12:51 AM']Advantage of the start-stop button (as I see it):

When you get in the car you push the key fob into the slot. The screen comes on (boots up).? You can set the radio, use the navi to set a destination, or whatever you want to do.? THEN...the last thing you do is start the engine.? In the key system I think most of us start the car and then futz with the I-drive while the car is running.? I guess that's nice if you want the engine to warm up but I found it nice (in my E90) to get all of my "computer work" out of the way before starting the car.

One more thing:
The I-Drive knob in the E90 is smaller and IMHO easier to twist with your fingers.? I felt I could move it faster than in my 04 E60.
[snapback]147774[/snapback]
IF (and a big IF) this was BMW's thinking of having the start button.. it's a bad idea.. there are far easier ways to accomplish this..

my Range Rover (BMW designed ) automatically powers on the system (nav, etc.) when the doors are unlocked via the remote or a door is opened.. first i had concerns it would drain the batteries, but now i like it as i don't have to wait for it to boot up.
[snapback]147896[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's a good idea! BMW are you listening?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 11 2005, 03:52 PM
[quote name='my530i' date='Jul 11 2005, 09:12 AM']I found the key fob slot in the new E60 looks like a virgina looking side way. So disgusting, BMW! Is Bangle so horny?
[snapback]147902[/snapback]
don't we all like that then ?
[snapback]147966[/snapback]
[/quote]

We only like that when it's a private part. Not a public part.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Members

so today I thought about having start/stop button and any extra advantages it could have. This is what i came up with:

- so since a start/stop button turns off the starter engine as soon as the engine is on, you eliminate damage that could have been created by someone holding the key in the 3rd position too long.

- a start/stop button would also save power. It would avoid having to start the starter engine twice, (if for some reason the engine does not start or the driver does not hold the key in position 3 for long enough). This isn't a big deal, but in 20 years it may be, (think of old cars today that aren't starting, with weak batteries).

well i had a third point... but i've just lost my train of thought.. oh well... better luck next time !
Old 07-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

Good point except i don't think the car allows you to overstart it. I believe after the car is started the 3rd position become nothing.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by dantec' date='Jul 12 2005, 06:32 AM
so today I thought about having start/stop button and any extra advantages it could have.? This is what i came up with:

- so since a start/stop button turns off the starter engine as soon as the engine is on, you eliminate damage that could have been created by someone holding the key in the 3rd position too long.

- a start/stop button would also save power.? It would avoid having to start the starter engine twice, (if for some reason the engine does not start or the driver does not hold the key in position 3 for long enough). This isn't a big deal, but in 20 years it may be, (think of old cars today that aren't starting, with weak batteries).

well i had a third point... but i've just lost my train of thought.. oh well... better luck next time !
[snapback]148112[/snapback]
Well, you don't need to hold the key in pos 3. Just turn it to pos 3 and release it, the car will start. So, there is such a start button allready, preventing damage to starter and battery.
BTW, there is a major problem with the power supply on the E60. If you have too many gadgets... I have gone through two batterys allready and BMW is unable to solve the problem...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 12 2005, 04:07 PM
BTW, there is a major problem with the power supply on the E60. If you have too many gadgets... I have gone through two batterys allready and BMW is unable to solve the problem...
[snapback]148255[/snapback]

Hi Iceman

How are things?

You mention the power problem... What did they do? Did they connect up the power directly to the battery??? Tell me more about the situation!

In my car, I connected all my devices to Terminal 30G which is basically "live" until the car goes into sleep mode. Therefore, all the devices are automatically switched off and there is no chance of any of them draining the battery down.

Also, I have tested my entire setup with the ignition switch in Position 2 (with engine OFF) and after a period of time, the CAS module in the car displays a message saying that the car will auto power down in order to maintain enough "juice" to start the car. This message is routine and totally normal.

I'm in Prague now and will be driving past you on sunday. Want to meet up? I'm hoping to catch Kigerka too on my way back to the UK.

All the Best

Hobi
Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I believe that the "official" way to classify mid-year changes is to add "1/2". So come September, production will be MY 2006.5.

Only in the US...
Old 07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Jul 12 2005, 06:09 PM
You mention the power problem...? What did they do?? Did they connect up the power directly to the battery???? Tell me more about the situation!

In my car, I connected all my devices to Terminal 30G which is basically "live" until the car goes into sleep mode.? Therefore, all the devices are automatically switched off and there is no chance of any of them draining the battery down.

Also, I have tested my entire setup with the ignition switch in Position 2 (with engine OFF) and after a period of time, the CAS module in the car displays a message saying that the car will auto power down in order to maintain enough "juice" to start the car.? This message is routine and totally normal.

I'm in Prague now and will be driving past you on sunday.? Want to meet up?? I'm hoping to catch Kigerka too on my way back to the UK.

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]148277[/snapback]
The problem is, that with all the toys I have I drain the battery too much. I allready killed two batterys in one year...
Now they put in a "Gel-Batterie"... I don't know if that solves the problem or not. I'll see...
I can't tell if I have time or not until Friday... I hope I'll have time, definately would like to meet... I'll try to push it...

Quick Reply: 2006 spy pics