Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

100% Refundable Extended Warranty - Do they exist?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm awaiting arrival of my new 535i. Been thinking about extended warranty.

But I have to share my experience with a dealer-written extended warranty I bought through my Volvo dealer 11 years ago. The terms were 7-year, 70,000 mile extended warranty. The price was about $1100. But the terms stated that if NO repairs were charged against the warranty, I could within 30 days of the end of the warranty period or reaching 70,000 miles, ask in writing for a 100% refund of the warranty purchase cost. I had never heard of this. Of course I took it as a protection against major repairs.

In the end, I did NOT need to charge any repairs against the warranty, and sure enough, at the end, I wrote the dealer a letter requesting the refund of the Warranty purchase price. About 10 days later, I received a check.

Of course this was 11 years ago. Does anyone know of any reputable company or dealer that writes these kinds of extended warranties, or was I just lucky to have such a good Volvo dealer to work with?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium/Sport Packages. Heated Seats, Sat Radio, Mystic Blue Metallic and Dakota Gray Leather interior. Active steering and headlights, M5 166 wheels

Originally Posted by jes0331' post='533361' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm awaiting arrival of my new 535i. Been thinking about extended warranty.

But I have to share my experience with a dealer-written extended warranty I bought through my Volvo dealer 11 years ago. The terms were 7-year, 70,000 mile extended warranty. The price was about $1100. But the terms stated that if NO repairs were charged against the warranty, I could within 30 days of the end of the warranty period or reaching 70,000 miles, ask in writing for a 100% refund of the warranty purchase cost. I had never heard of this. Of course I took it as a protection against major repairs.

In the end, I did NOT need to charge any repairs against the warranty, and sure enough, at the end, I wrote the dealer a letter requesting the refund of the Warranty purchase price. About 10 days later, I received a check.

Of course this was 11 years ago. Does anyone know of any reputable company or dealer that writes these kinds of extended warranties, or was I just lucky to have such a good Volvo dealer to work with?
I think you were just lucky. I just bought an extended via the seller and paid 3500.00 for it. It has been 2 weeks and I am canceling it. I just faxed in the cancellation to the seller. The warranty company said they don't handle canceling I must go to the place I bought the car and they will send in the cancellation for me. I am really scared as this will probably give me great headache. The Mercury Insurance Company wrote the policy and they said will take 6 weeks to refund all the money. I asked them why so long and Mercury had no reason other than "it's our policy". I image the reason is they think I will forget about it since the time is so long but boy will they be surprised. .