Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

£800 for ipod/usb install !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

im a bit scared to take the car apart though lol, its so daaam nice i dont want to damage it

i dont care about the ipod been in the centre console it stayin in the glove box is fine by me

if all i have to do is unplug the cdc and plug in the Dension Gateway 500 thing that i wouldnt mine doing

iv searched every were on this forum and can not find a install guide for the Dension Gateway 500

im not 100% sure my current system plays mp3 can i still use this Dension Gateway 500 ?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='806389' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:58 PM
Local dealers here was 3 hours labor for the programming. The part can be had for $270 US at any dealership parts counter. It's like a 15-minute install, there's several threads about it on here.

Also- if you can play MP3 CD's in the in-dash CD-player, then you may not need to have your car programmed.....

This also assumes you already have a CDC..
My dealer charged 2 hrs for programming and initially wanted to charge 1 hr for install.

BTW, my car did play MP3 CD's in the dash, I had a CDC but I still needed to be programmed so that is incorrect. It depends on your model yr, the MP3 play upgrade TSB only applies to 04-05 cars. Car's built in later 05 and on require a recode to make the IPOD work.

Raj
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='807134' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:48 AM
That's Dubai BMW dealer prices!!

Install yourself, find an independent BMW mechanic with Autologic or GT+1, have them do the retrofit encoding for you (if it's needed). Save yourself a truck load of money.
Do not do this!
Your car's CDC computer will go haywire as soon as you remove your CDC. It will still be looking for your CDC.
The proper procedure is:
Keep CDC installed
Get car upgraded to read IPOD kit
Swap CDC to IPOD kit
Anyone with a GT+1 will still require a minimum of 2 hrs of labor because chances are your car will need a complete recoding. Might not save you much in the end. GT+1 as per Mike Miller is $50k with $2k yrly subscriptions, so I doubt any shop that has one will do it for much less.
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Not exactly just unplug the CDC & plug the Dension Gateway 500, you have to swap the MOST fiber housing and tap some power line to feed the GW500, you maybe just need not search harder but here are some few threads:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=48749
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54922

And yes even if your in-dash CD can't play mp3 GW500 will still work, member nigxdoof is the prove he did it.

Some dealer will have no problem installing GW500 but if your dealer already charge you an arm & a leg to do OEM iPod interface they'll probably want your kidney to cover the GW500 or no all together since it's not an OEM module.

GL!

Originally Posted by russdx' post='807139' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:55 AM
im a bit scared to take the car apart though lol, its so daaam nice i dont want to damage it

i dont care about the ipod been in the centre console it stayin in the glove box is fine by me

if all i have to do is unplug the cdc and plug in the Dension Gateway 500 thing that i wouldnt mine doing

iv searched every were on this forum and can not find a install guide for the Dension Gateway 500

im not 100% sure my current system plays mp3 can i still use this Dension Gateway 500 ?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

well reading this thread

all i have to do is install it and it should work
dint see any going to the dealer to have idrive repogrammed?

so is it as simple and just buying this device and installing and it works?

or am i still missing some thing hehe
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yes, GW500 uses MOST fiber loop which lead to at least CDC or iPod module you seems to fit the profile since you already have CDC as either iPod interface & GW500 uses CD1-6 menu system from CDC that's why the use of these module are exclusive (well, you can daisy chain the CDC to the GW500 but can NOT use both at the same time).

In my case I didn't have either CDC & iPod interface so I did the iPod retrofit enable programming using the GW500.

So, in your case, the only way to find out is to install it

Originally Posted by russdx' post='807174' date='Mar 4 2009, 08:31 AM
well reading this thread

all i have to do is install it and it should work
dint see any going to the dealer to have idrive repogrammed?

so is it as simple and just buying this device and installing and it works?

or am i still missing some thing hehe
Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

?350 to see if it works bit pricey lol

lets say i buy it install it and it doesn't work can i just take to the dealer and they will reprogram for me? to make it work

my car comes with 1 year warranty me doing this wont effect that will it?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Holy Crap, that's expensive!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

It's up to the dealer and if you have a good relationship or not... if not the dealer may simply say no and/or charge you a lot 'cuz it's not an OEM module but like my dealer they are pretty cool they let me do the install myself in their service bay then they willing to try ('cuz at first I didn't know if I should do the GW500 as CDC or iPod interface enable) so they let me play w/ the BMW programming station myself and at the end didn't charge me my life savings

Again, it's not an OEM module so BMW will not warranty it and your dealer may argue since they didn't do the install (if they even willing) it's not covered by them (or they might even say it revokes any warranty, which is out of line)... so no idea... sorry

Originally Posted by russdx' post='807219' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:47 AM
?350 to see if it works bit pricey lol

lets say i buy it install it and it doesn't work can i just take to the dealer and they will reprogram for me? to make it work

my car comes with 1 year warranty me doing this wont effect that will it?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

hmmm i might just get the bmw ipod/usb installed by an independent bmw dealer, should be cheaper then ?800 and i just dont have to worry about all these foooooookin problems LOL

Quick Reply: £800 for ipod/usb install !!!