Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

$4.95 "misc. shop parts" fee?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Got my state inspection/emission done today at my dealer on my 9 mo. old 2007 530xi. It was my first actual "paid" service appt. They changed the wiper blades under warranty, and that was all, aside from the inspection. When I got home (of course), I saw the above fee on my invoice. I was like, "What the f&#$ is this?" I called them, and they claimed they charge all of their customers this fee to help offset the cost of every day things like brake & steering fluid, coolant, oil, etc...things they use to "top off" the vehicles during service.

Do they have a lot of nerve or is this how BMW or just this dealership operates? It should be illegal in my opinion to be able to sneak in this fee. I would have preferred it said on my invoice, "Bullshit nickel-and-dime fee."

I wrote and email to my SA and to BMW-NA on general principle alone. I don't care if it's $4.95 or $100...just tell me what I'm being charged for when I pick up my car! They never said a word. I will be quite interested to hear NA's response.

Anyone else see this?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the topping off of the fluids should be included as part of the USA full maintenance. The fact that you had an state inspection/emmissions done means that the invoice was never going to be "no charge" so maybe they throw the silly extra fees on when they figure they can get away with it? I'll have to double check but I don't recall my dealer ever charging me for stupid nickel and dime stuff (I could be wrong though).

I do think they may charge a disposal fee for old tires they removed from the car. Obviously, I could tell them to give the old tires back to me but it's probably not worth the aggravation...
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

The funny part is....they didn't top off my fluids. When I got home, I checked my windshield fluid, and it needed an entire gallon. All of my other fluids were checked by me a week ago and were all perfect. So, whether it's a paid service or not, if you are going to charge me for something, put down what I needed or what was added, and charge me for it. Don't try and hide it in a "one-for-all" fee for service. :thumbsdown:
Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I just dug up some old repair orders and there wasn't too many nickel and dime fees that I feel are unreasonable. I did find one from my old car where I had a state inspection/emission done (like you did) and they charged me $2 for the inspection sticker and $2.40 for what's listed as "MCI emissions charge" -- I don't know exactly what that is but it might actually be another sticker charge (although why the extra .40 cents?) At least they itemized everything and at least it's something they actually used.

The other fees I was charged (on an invoice where I got new tires) is $1.25 per tire to cover wheel weights and $1.00 per tire for a "PTA tax (new tires)". Not sure exactly what a PTA tax for new tires is but I'm sure they'd tell me what it is and I'd end up paying it anyway...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Just got this email back from my SA re: this......

"Sorry I was off for a few days and I am just catching up. You should not have been charged a "misc fee" for an inspection. There are "misc fee charges" for other services but not inspection. It is a coding issue with the computer. I can send you a check or just give you a credit for future service."

So, there!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='537281' date='Feb 28 2008, 01:05 PM
Just got this email back from my SA re: this......

"Sorry I was off for a few days and I am just catching up. You should not have been charged a "misc fee" for an inspection. There are "misc fee charges" for other services but not inspection. It is a coding issue with the computer. I can send you a check or just give you a credit for future service."

So, there!
That's one of those "coding issues" with the computer that they only noticed after you complained... (It's always the computer's fault, right? )
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributors

More and more service shops are adding misc fees and charges to pay for the paper towels, WD-40, and band-aids. I feel that those are the cost of doing business and are part of the hourly rate charged for service.

That said, I recall a few year back a dealer actually charged $15 to write a repair service order. And that was for a MAJOR repair that ultimately cost me $1000!

BIG ONES! REALLY BIG ONES!
Attached Thumbnails $4.95 "misc. shop parts" fee?!-balls.jpg  
Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

this has been a common practice for years in the UK. My dealer doesnt seem to do it. Insteasd, they screw you $22 for disposing of the oil after an oil change. thats far more of a ripoff!!!!!