Complete Car Sales If you are selling your entire car or looking buy a car please check here!

2001 BMW 740i sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Gentlemen:

After careful thought and consideration, as well as a bit of reluctance, I have decided that I am going to place my beloved e38 on the market for sale. A hard decision to reach, but I?m looking at a couple of very fun & interesting options to replace it for my upcoming 40th birthday, so I?ll consider letting her go now, if I find a serious buyer for what I feel is a fair price.

She?s a 2001 740i sport, anthracite metallic paint and a sand (tan) interior. The paint looks predominantly gray - I thought it was stratus gray when I bought it and didn't realize it was anthracite until looking more closely at the plate under the hood. Sometimes it looks a bit greenish gray, while other times its more of a steel blue gray. An interesting color, for sure.

67,281 miles as of today, which is an average of about 7,000 per year.

The interior is in perfect shape. Not one crack, chip, scratch or scuff on any of the wood trim. The leather is all immaculate too - no signs of wear on driver's seat either, and there is not a single spot on any of the carpet. The entire instrument cluster works (including the new cluster under the speedometer, which was just replaced, so it has 100% new and working pixels). I don't think anyone ever sat in the back seats before I owned the car.

The exterior is excellent too. The prior/original owner (just one owner before me) had a 3M clear film installed on the front of the car, and it?s really quite amazing. Not one chip on the front nose or underside trim. The film protectant is also applied to the headlights and the side mirrors. The coolest part is that the bugs wipe right off. I am going to get the film installed on my wife's new Volvo when it arrives - I'm very impressed with it. There is one tiny rock chip about 3 inches above the film on the hood, which the prior owner touched up with BMW anthracite paint. Nearly invisible, but its there, just to be 100% accurate. The sport wheels are the staggered configuration, and are free of any scrapes or rash. I was thrilled with the wheels when bought the car.

As for options, it has the factory sport package (with shadowline trim and step-tronic), large screen nav (with updated software which I installed about 3 months ago), a 2008-09 Nav Disc 5 for the Midwest region, heated front seats, heated rear seats, and park distance control (PDC) for both front and rear. It has the infrared windshield, comfort glass (with a slight tint) and a glass moonroof. I have the factory build sheet from BMW listing all options as well.

In going through the documents, I have a copy of the Autocheck.com report (which I prefer to carfax, as dealers have told me its more accurate) showing its accident free.

As for the maintenance history before I owned it, I have the complete records from Braman BMW in Miami where it was serviced for most of its life, along with a few records from Murray Motor Imports in Colorado, where it was purchased before the owner moved it to his Florida home. The repairs of note before my ownership were:

29,993 - Inspection One completed
38,006 miles - replaced front brake pads and rotors
46,864 miles - replaced radiator, bleed coolant system; replaced rear brake pads, discs, sensors; flush hydraulic brake system
48,520 miles - replaced power steering lines
52,285 miles - Alternator and battery replaced

As for the things done during my ownership (which began at 58,528 miles):

Stein Automotive - Louisville, KY - 11/10/09

1. Replaced mass air flow sensor
2. Replaced broken vacuum value
3. Installed new thermostat
4. replaced left washer nozzle (for front headlight)
5. replaced power steering hose
6. Brake fluid flushed, bled and replaced
7. Replaced air filter
8. Fixed coolant leak at center valley of engine, which included replacing pan valley gaskets, intake gaskets, coolant tube o-rings, water pump, upper radiator hose, front and rear intake gaskets, the crankcase vent valve, thermostat and coolant pipe.

Total cost - $3,311.29

Swope BMW - Louisville, KY - 2/24/10

1. Replaced instrument cluster pixel panel
2. Replaced left hood spring break (hood release)
3. Removed transmission and replaced front seals to remedy transmission fluid leak
4. Replaced front steering center link and both front outer tie rods, plus 4 wheel alignment
5. Replaced both engine valve cover gaskets

Total cost- $2,890.37

Anyhow, I bought the car late last year for $18k (book was $17,750) and have put over $6k into the car.

Looking at the photos reminds me - the car has a custom pinstripe in tan, which I absolutely love. I also purchased new car mats from Bav Auto in tan with "740i" monogrammed in the fronts.

I believe the car is truly one of the finest e38?s to be found and there are no stories or excuses to be found - its gorgeous. It has been well cared for, and at this point, needs absolutely nothing mechanically.

Kelly Blue Book lists its value at $17,000 today, while NADA is just under $17k.

I am asking $18,500.00, which is on the high side, but for a flawless jewel like this, with all the potential repair items having been addressed already (and thousands of dollars of future repairs having been done), its certainly reasonable. If you disagree, I dont want to hear about it. LOL.

Anyhow, I am not in a hurry, and have not listed it on any other car sites at this time.

You can email me at ppalmer@schadlaw.com for more pics or questions.

- Pete aka Lawguy
Attached Thumbnails 2001 BMW 740i sport-one.jpg   2001 BMW 740i sport-two.jpg   2001 BMW 740i sport-three.jpg   2001 BMW 740i sport-four.jpg   2001 BMW 740i sport-five.jpg  

2001 BMW 740i sport-six.jpg   2001 BMW 740i sport-seven.jpg   2001 BMW 740i sport-eight.jpg  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Beautiful car, good luck with the sale I think given the condition and mileage it;s worth every penny you're looking for.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Best looking BMW model ever
Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Nice looking 740i!! Good luck with the sale!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by 1600
+1 (along with the 2003 E39 540i Sport.

I love those M Parallel wheels.

What a jewel of a car. Lawguy, I think that you will regret parting company with this beauty.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Contributors

I absolutely loved my '01 740 Sport ... it was a very capable road machine with great handling. And it seems that you've attended to most of the problem areas so the next driver should be able to enjoy lots of cruising miles!
Good luck with the sale.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Wow that E38 looks soooo good. Best of luck with the sale and I hope it finds a good home.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1600

took the words out of my mouth...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Premium Package

Sweet car. GLWS
Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Pete, is the car 50-state certified? I might be interested. It's tough to register an out-of-state car here in CA if it was only certified for federal emissions and not California too...

Quick Reply: 2001 BMW 740i sport