The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Will be choosing among 545i, M45, GS430...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Wow.. Big fire...
Old 04-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, teutonictrio !
Old 04-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:36 AM
[quote name='Simple1' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:08 AM']Quite honestly, I don't even own a car but I seriously hate that M35/45 Infiniti, the interior appointments are horrible! I mean sure it looks nice to u(strictly personal opinion) but to me looks like crap.? Why would you divide the dash board into 2 levels? I mean really what is that ledge for? to rest you cell-phone or soda?? Why didn't they follow the design interior of the G35? looks great! if it were up to me, I'd get the GS430 before getting that M45, I couldn't be caught dead with that ugly dash even if it accelerated as good as a BMW!
E60 =

[snapback]111299[/snapback]
[/quote]

This last pic is nice but where? USA Colorado?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Palm Springs -- it's from the latest issue of Automobile where they do a comparison of sedans...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Apr 4 2005, 09:34 AM
I'm the type of guy who plans his purchases miles in advance.? I won't be replacing my Mercedes E500 until November or December, but I want to know now what I will get, and there are so many excellent choices out there now, it's good to be a driver.

I'll be choosing between the 545i (or 550i if it exists then, but I'm not sure I need to pay a premium for a slightly bigger engine, as the 545 engine is already class leader for the most part), the Infiniti M45, and the Lexus GS430.? At present, I'm leaning toward the M45 because of the many technological toys it has, plus it is comparable in acceleration to the 545.? The biggest drawback to the BMW is the looks - I still dont' like them, but I'm getting used to them.? If it drives leaps and bounds around the others, then it might 'win' the contest, and what drew me into the BMW lately was the incredible money factor BMW is offering, which is far better than any others I'm considering.? I know BMW is doing it because the car is not selling as well as they need it to, and that is because of the appearance of the thing, but with incentives like that, they will sell.

I'll probably test drive in the coming month, then just watch prices as the demand for the M45 and GS430 fall off (they are both new and selling very well, so prices are high and lease rates (I will lease this car most likely as I am a business owner) are not beneficial to the driver at present.)? I really hope BMW keeps that crazy money factor, as it would ironically be the most expensive car (sticker price, comparably equipped) and significantly lower lease payment.

I'd love the M5 if I was going for the BMW, but I will be replacing my Porsche with another one also, and likely it will be the 997S Cab, but we'll see.? I'd hate to own a Porsche that is beat by my big sedan though!!? I do track events in the Boxster S currently and wouldn't want to take the M5 to track events, even if it was a great performer, as it's still a sedan, and the Porsches are just a ton of fun on the track, without question.

Anyway, I enjoy this board and appreciate reading all the reviews and commentary.? Keep 'em coming.
[snapback]110895[/snapback]
I will tell you, I have always been an Infiniti fan, because for years, they have made better cars than Lexus. However, they have ALWAYS missed the styling. The G35 has been their saving grace, but if you want my opinion the money you save on the Infiniti, you will lose in depreciation. The value of the Infiniti's drop like a lead balloon.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Apr 4 2005, 09:34 AM
I'm the type of guy who plans his purchases miles in advance.? I won't be replacing my Mercedes E500 until November or December, but I want to know now what I will get, and there are so many excellent choices out there now, it's good to be a driver.

I'll be choosing between the 545i (or 550i if it exists then, but I'm not sure I need to pay a premium for a slightly bigger engine, as the 545 engine is already class leader for the most part), the Infiniti M45, and the Lexus GS430.? At present, I'm leaning toward the M45 because of the many technological toys it has, plus it is comparable in acceleration to the 545.? The biggest drawback to the BMW is the looks - I still dont' like them, but I'm getting used to them.? If it drives leaps and bounds around the others, then it might 'win' the contest, and what drew me into the BMW lately was the incredible money factor BMW is offering, which is far better than any others I'm considering.? I know BMW is doing it because the car is not selling as well as they need it to, and that is because of the appearance of the thing, but with incentives like that, they will sell.

I'll probably test drive in the coming month, then just watch prices as the demand for the M45 and GS430 fall off (they are both new and selling very well, so prices are high and lease rates (I will lease this car most likely as I am a business owner) are not beneficial to the driver at present.)? I really hope BMW keeps that crazy money factor, as it would ironically be the most expensive car (sticker price, comparably equipped) and significantly lower lease payment.

I'd love the M5 if I was going for the BMW, but I will be replacing my Porsche with another one also, and likely it will be the 997S Cab, but we'll see.? I'd hate to own a Porsche that is beat by my big sedan though!!? I do track events in the Boxster S currently and wouldn't want to take the M5 to track events, even if it was a great performer, as it's still a sedan, and the Porsches are just a ton of fun on the track, without question.

Anyway, I enjoy this board and appreciate reading all the reviews and commentary.? Keep 'em coming.
[snapback]110895[/snapback]
The BMW is the gold standard in the sport sedan market - while not perfect, the leading edge is the bleeding edge, as they say in Silcion Valley... if you want the best and state-of-the-art - the 545i is it in a drivers' sport sedans... all others are copies...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:24 PM
R1

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Apr 13 2005, 10:58 PM
The G35 has been their saving grace, but if you want my opinion the money you save on the Infiniti, you will lose in depreciation.? The value of the Infiniti's drop like a lead balloon.
[snapback]115172[/snapback]
In the past yes, but that is simply not true anymore IMHO:

1. ALG (Automotive Lease Guide) awarded the G35 as having the best residual value in the near luxury class.
2. Lease Compare has ranked the G35 in the number one spot for 7 consecutive quarters. The 330i is 2nd, Acura TL 3rd, and the 5-Series is 4th.
3. If you look at the Cars.com top ten residual value list, the G35 is 6th, above cars like the 525i, ES330, and 530i. The MBZ CLK-Class is 1st.
4. The Infiniti FX's and G35's both have 5-star residual rating by ALG. In ALG's 3-star rated cars, there are the Q45, QX56, LS430, LX470, 7-Series, X5-Series, and Z4, all together.
5. KBB (Kelly Blue Book) predicts that the G35 Coupe as being in the top ten cars for resale value in 2005.
6. From what I have gathered around the internet, both the 2006 5-Series and 2006 Infiniti-M's are at 59-60% residual for 15k miles & 36 months. These are both above cars like the E-Class, GS, RL, and A6 which range from 48-56%.
7. Nissan runs at 40% below the industry average for incentives, and Infiniti has the lowest average incentives of any luxury brand.

Infiniti has always been the underdog, beaten up and laughed at by everyone, but it is a different car company now than it was 3 years ago.

Even though I prefer the 5-Series, I predict the new Infiniti-M's will have steller resale value. I think it will be even more of a success than the G35 was.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Hopefully you will get the 545i thats what I picked and I was looking at the exact same 3 cars !!!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10248
Old 05-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I guess it's all a matter of our personal taste, but the looks of the M45 and in particular the interior of the car just look too cheap and consumer electronics oriented for me. Infiniti has a great reputation for reliability and if that were the #1 criteria for you, you might do well with one but I can't see buying a M45 based on performance or handling over a 5 series.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

M45=M35=GS350=GS400=Avalon=Camery

The styling is so similar between the above cars, you might as well buy a Camery and save the money.

Don't get me wrong, they are all great cars, but for the $$ I didn't want someone to confuse my Infinity with a Lexus or Toyota.

Quick Reply: Will be choosing among 545i, M45, GS430...