The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Will be choosing among 545i, M45, GS430...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the type of guy who plans his purchases miles in advance. I won't be replacing my Mercedes E500 until November or December, but I want to know now what I will get, and there are so many excellent choices out there now, it's good to be a driver.

I'll be choosing between the 545i (or 550i if it exists then, but I'm not sure I need to pay a premium for a slightly bigger engine, as the 545 engine is already class leader for the most part), the Infiniti M45, and the Lexus GS430. At present, I'm leaning toward the M45 because of the many technological toys it has, plus it is comparable in acceleration to the 545. The biggest drawback to the BMW is the looks - I still dont' like them, but I'm getting used to them. If it drives leaps and bounds around the others, then it might 'win' the contest, and what drew me into the BMW lately was the incredible money factor BMW is offering, which is far better than any others I'm considering. I know BMW is doing it because the car is not selling as well as they need it to, and that is because of the appearance of the thing, but with incentives like that, they will sell.

I'll probably test drive in the coming month, then just watch prices as the demand for the M45 and GS430 fall off (they are both new and selling very well, so prices are high and lease rates (I will lease this car most likely as I am a business owner) are not beneficial to the driver at present.) I really hope BMW keeps that crazy money factor, as it would ironically be the most expensive car (sticker price, comparably equipped) and significantly lower lease payment.

I'd love the M5 if I was going for the BMW, but I will be replacing my Porsche with another one also, and likely it will be the 997S Cab, but we'll see. I'd hate to own a Porsche that is beat by my big sedan though!! I do track events in the Boxster S currently and wouldn't want to take the M5 to track events, even if it was a great performer, as it's still a sedan, and the Porsches are just a ton of fun on the track, without question.

Anyway, I enjoy this board and appreciate reading all the reviews and commentary. Keep 'em coming.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Apr 4 2005, 08:34 AM
I'm the type of guy who plans his purchases miles in advance.? I won't be replacing my Mercedes E500 until November or December, but I want to know now what I will get, and there are so many excellent choices out there now, it's good to be a driver.

I'll be choosing between the 545i (or 550i if it exists then, but I'm not sure I need to pay a premium for a slightly bigger engine, as the 545 engine is already class leader for the most part), the Infiniti M45, and the Lexus GS430.? At present, I'm leaning toward the M45 because of the many technological toys it has, plus it is comparable in acceleration to the 545.? The biggest drawback to the BMW is the looks - I still dont' like them, but I'm getting used to them.? If it drives leaps and bounds around the others, then it might 'win' the contest, and what drew me into the BMW lately was the incredible money factor BMW is offering, which is far better than any others I'm considering.? I know BMW is doing it because the car is not selling as well as they need it to, and that is because of the appearance of the thing, but with incentives like that, they will sell.

I'll probably test drive in the coming month, then just watch prices as the demand for the M45 and GS430 fall off (they are both new and selling very well, so prices are high and lease rates (I will lease this car most likely as I am a business owner) are not beneficial to the driver at present.)? I really hope BMW keeps that crazy money factor, as it would ironically be the most expensive car (sticker price, comparably equipped) and significantly lower lease payment.

I'd love the M5 if I was going for the BMW, but I will be replacing my Porsche with another one also, and likely it will be the 997S Cab, but we'll see.? I'd hate to own a Porsche that is beat by my big sedan though!!? I do track events in the Boxster S currently and wouldn't want to take the M5 to track events, even if it was a great performer, as it's still a sedan, and the Porsches are just a ton of fun on the track, without question.

Anyway, I enjoy this board and appreciate reading all the reviews and commentary.? Keep 'em coming.
[snapback]110895[/snapback]
If you enjoy driving, get the 550. The performance should be astounding. My 545 is already a rocket ship. Going from 325 to 360 HP is not a 'small' increase. The 550 performance will be on a par with the E39 M5! You should see quarter mile times in the low 13's, and stunning highway acelleration. Nothing except the AMG and M cars will match it for sedans.

If you enjoy the 'gadgets', the luxury, or the looks, get the M45 or the Lexus.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Welcome teutonictrio !

Well, if you're thinking of the m5.. forget about the 545i/550i.. It's worthless to own a car that looks pretty similar..
Old 04-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, teutonictrio !
Old 04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

Quite honestly, I don't even own a car but I seriously hate that M35/45 Infiniti, the interior appointments are horrible! I mean sure it looks nice to u(strictly personal opinion) but to me looks like crap. Why would you divide the dash board into 2 levels? I mean really what is that ledge for? to rest you cell-phone or soda? Why didn't they follow the design interior of the G35? looks great! if it were up to me, I'd get the GS430 before getting that M45, I couldn't be caught dead with that ugly dash even if it accelerated as good as a BMW!

By the way welcome.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 AM

Nothing except the AMG and M cars will match it for sedans.
Hmmm...

Read about the Australian Ford performane sedans here:

http://fpv.com.au/index.asp

and Holden's performance sedans here:

http://www.hsv.com.au/index_new.html
Old 04-05-2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Simple1' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:08 AM
Quite honestly, I don't even own a car but I seriously hate that M35/45 Infiniti, the interior appointments are horrible! I mean sure it looks nice to u(strictly personal opinion) but to me looks like crap.? Why would you divide the dash board into 2 levels? I mean really what is that ledge for? to rest you cell-phone or soda?? Why didn't they follow the design interior of the G35? looks great! if it were up to me, I'd get the GS430 before getting that M45, I couldn't be caught dead with that ugly dash even if it accelerated as good as a BMW!
E60 =

Old 04-05-2005, 07:45 PM

Car:
2005 BMW 730iL

Description:
Faulty wiring caused overheating and engine fire

computer with wheels burns

Old 04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

I love it when trolls stop by and pay us a visit!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Everyone is entitiled to their opinion ... guest posting though is another issue and since the board has grown so much, especially the past quarter, we're probably going to disable it very soon.

Quick Reply: Will be choosing among 545i, M45, GS430...