The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Went to check out a GTR yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

As I keep looking for my next ride, I have driven a couple cars (911, M3, 135), and I stopped by the Nissan dealer yesterday to check out a GTR. A couple things. The car is huge (more like a 6 series than M3). I expected it to be a couple inches larger than a 370. They had a 370 there, and it looked like a Mini compared to the GTR. The back seat is much smaller than an M3, and I hit my head on the sloping glass roof when I crawled back there.

The wheels and brakes are huge. The seats are comfortable. The steering wheel and gauges are nice.

Here's a big thing, though: It's Nissan. They aren't a BMW or Mercedes. Period. The sales guy said this: "well, if you are serious about it, meaning you put down a deposit, fill out all the paperwork and get your credit check and everything, then you can take it on a short test drive before you buy it.... and, I would have to call the approved sales manager becuase there is only one sales person who's allowed to show and handle this car." They even had one there that was used (1500 miles) that they wouldn't let people drive w/o all that BS. I can understand the one that is in the showroom w/0 miles, but a car w/1500 miles? no way. Oh, and when I said something about the sticker being $85k, he said, "yeah, but there is a $10k premium we add, so it's really $95k." Ok.

Here's my experience at the BMW dealer: me and a buddy go out there to drive an M3 and look at an M6. They hand us the keys to a $120k M6 convertible w/16 miles on the odometer and tell us to go have fun. Maybe that is being reckless, but seriously, they are used to dealing with those kinds of cars and customers. Nissan is not. I can't imaging trying to squeeze a loaner out of them or something when I took my $100k GTR in for service and pulled in next to a Murano. So, nice try, Nissan. Maybe it's the best car in the world to drive, but no one would know that with the way their dealership works.

I recall them doing the same thing when the new 350z came out like 8 years ago. I wanted to drive one then, and got the same run-around (on a $30k car!). Think about all the people I have told about driving the M6 and M3, and now think about all the people I tell about how I couldn't drive a used GTR w/o putting down a deposit and credit app. Nissan is out of their league.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

You're lucky you got to sit inside the car . When I was car shopping last February, I went to check out the GTR, I asked if I could see the inside of it, the salesman replied, "You have to make an appointment"
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I am still a little surprised that Nissan did not market the GT-R as an Infiniti given its price point and the customer service expectations of customers at that price point.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1068318' date='Dec 5 2009, 02:49 PM
I am still a little surprised that Nissan did not market the GT-R as an Infiniti given its price point and the customer service expectations of customers at that price point.
Nissan thought that because it was a much awaited line in the U.S. and the GTR's limited production that they don't see the need in marketing this product. Someone dropped the ball on this one.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1068318' date='Dec 5 2009, 01:49 PM
There was a rumor about a 4 door version being produced with the Infiniti badge. Not sure if it will keep the name.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

Dude so true! I also have a 2006 Pathfinder and I was at my dealership the other day for a alignment. While waiting I cruised to the showroom foor and was checking out a new GTR. It had five signs on it that read "very expensive car, do not touch" I was just looking at it and a 20 something salesman rolled over and started to question me. He asked if I needed help, I said no. He asked if I was being seen by anyone. I said I'm waiting for my wifes vehicle to get some work. The dink was like did you see our service waiting area? I almost lost it. I kinda look like a grunged out dude but what if I actually wanted to buy this over priced goliath? This ass just blew it. My bmw dealership has seven or eight vehicles in the GTRS' price range on the showroom floor at any given time. The other day they offered me the keys to a 2009 XM6 and XM5! If he car is so special why doesnt nissan dedicate separate dealerships to just the GTR because clearly 99% of nissan cliental can not afford the GTR, me included, but Im not some knuckle head that cant be trusted around the damn thing. OK Im just upset because I get no respect.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So friggin' true! Some years ago I actually worked for a Nissan dealership and I'm SO ready to do an expose about the sh!t that goes on "behind the curtain" there - its not e v e n funny to those guys over there its like the 70's never ended, complete with mustaches and everything :thumbsdown:

Their shitty attitudes and greedy games actually drove me to loose customers continually and one day I just told the general manager to fvck off and left.

Just to quote a "normal" conversation between a sales person and a sales manager

Sales rep: the guy's ready, let's get him in the box
Sales manager: you're 2 grand upside down on the car, how is he?
rep: finance manager (don't wanna give up names) will flip him to a lease and we'll make mad money - he's a douchebag, he doesn't know shit, we can fuck him until the cows come home.

The same guy goes cross shopping and thinks he's buying a car at 2k under dealer cost, then comes to pick up the car and "sign the paperwork", where he gets invited to "sit down" with the "finance manager", who flips him from a finance to a lease, changes the residual, inflates the interest rate, convinces him that he has to get an alarm in order to get a "better lease rate" (no bullshit!) and so on and so forth... un-fvcking-believable!!! Guy walks out having overpaid 5k over the MSRP not even knowing how much he paid. They used to make me tell customers "we'll mail you the lease agreement"!!! I mean, I used to have customers who would come in to pick up the car with a gift for me and they'd tell me to drop dead after they walked out of the finance manager's office... I can't begin to imagine buying a GT-R from a place like that - let alone servicing it at one those places. If ever the tag "stealership" was befitting, its here!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Contributors

Common problem with a low end manufacturer selling a higher price product. They dont know how to sell it. They're not used to that caliber of a client.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Ya buy a GTR and nissan gonna treat you like your god
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

V you are so correct! I was upside down on a 2006 GTO and I look back on it and I swear the same shit was pitched to me. Everytime I have my wife/GF go in to get oil change the service dept tries to tell her it needs the 30k service, I mean they tell her it has to be done. All it consists of is checking various things plus oil service,,$300! I tell her to them no and they badger her. I actually had to go down and square it away. Told them to contact me only about the truck, she just drives it. That being said its not a bad vehicle at all, gas milage sucks but pretty capable for what it is. Im gonna snap a pic of this salesman next time Im in there. Hes a pissa, $80 suit with a $60 hair cut and a Movado he got someone to buy him. He thinks he Gordon Gecko with his payless shoes. OK again Im being critical, hes doing his best I guess.

Quick Reply: Went to check out a GTR yesterday...