The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

VW Phaeton

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

The problem with that car was that they made the VW emblem so Freakin' huge. They must have had some levt over from the old VW busses. I actually considered and drove one before I ordered my 5. Interesting car that leased out very well, expecially given the fact that it had just come out, but I just couldn't do it (and glad I didn't).

It'll make one hell of a used car if you can find anyone looking to take that kind of a hit after such a short period of time.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

I was able to test drive the W12 and V8 in LA before they came out. What luxury, and the sound system was great. I actually like the exterior styling. Most comments that I got were if the same care was wearing an Audi badge, would have done better. Don't think people could get around spending that kind of money for a VW Badge.

I'll Try to bring a couple of picture to upload that I took of it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I was a VW fanatic for years. I still like them a lot. Despite what most people think, I think they make awesome cars....so well equipped yet so reasonably priced. Yes, even the Phaeton. Although VW may have discontinued the Phaeton, I wouldn't consider it a failure. I think they were able to demonstrate their prowess in making one of the most luxurious cars out there, able to compete with all the high end marqes, for a lower price. Their only challenge was getting out of their own shadow.

I like Audis as well. I guess I'm a sucker for the under dog. I still want to go pick up a 16V Scirocco and do a project car but my wife won't let me. Do you know HPA Motorsport has a twin turbo Beetle that's faster that a Porsche turbo....hell even a Murcielago. 0-6 in about 3.5 sec I think. Gotta find the article... hehe

Sorry for going off on a tangent.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Members

Well VW's Bentley is based on the same engine, and they are getting $160+ for that. If I were VW I would consider the VW a mule for the Bentley and then shut it down. The Bentleys are sold out.

It you just want a car, and not a name buy the VW

That said, I haven't driven one. I did buy an audi in the 80s just after they got slammed for unintended acceleration at a bargan price and was very satisfied. My other cars were a Lotus and a 5er.
It's always fun to buy a car that is good but avoided. Admitedly, you don't want to count on resale value.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

I think anyone even remotely interested in the Phaeton should just go and sit in one. The fit and finish and the quality of interior materials is truly outstanding. Puts anything BMW (or M could do to shame.

Also, if your dealer has one available, take the W12 version out for a spin. While I'm not smart enough to know the true "ins and outs" of engines, but the Phaeton W12 gives up nothing to the BMW V12.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I saw one passing by the other day. The car definitely has some presence and wouldn't doubt the underlying quality of the interior and the motor.
It's a shame really, but I think the car's lifespan ended prematurely because of the 'VW' badge.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Here are some pics I took when I had the V8 model.
Attached Thumbnails VW Phaeton-phaeton1.jpg   VW Phaeton-phaeton2.jpg   VW Phaeton-phaeton3.jpg   VW Phaeton-phaeton4.jpg   VW Phaeton-phaeton5.jpg  

Old 12-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CRRobert' post='205887' date='Dec 1 2005, 08:22 PM
Here are some pics I took when I had the V8 model.
The exterior looks very understated, but the interior is very opulent. Outside= Big Passat, inside = small yacht. I guess there are not that many rich that want to go so low under the radar? Or possibly bad marketing...