The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

...VW Golf - Competition???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit over the top to call a Golf competition, but read this and let us think about it again :

My car is being sold on Monday so to keep the limited mileage, I borrowed my partner's car to drive from Vienna to Cologne and return in one day - sat in the car for 16 hours, and drove 1150 miles with an hour break in between and 2 gas stops. The statistics:

Average speed: 75 mph
Average consumption: 35 MPG
Car: Golf V 90 PS TDI

When i left at 4 in the morning, i was bitching about how frustrating the drive will be - well honestly, 17,5 hours later, I must admit, it was not bad. In Austria I was comfortably doing my 80-85 mph, and in germany, i managed to hit the 110 mph with no traffic, rest of the time i was as fast/slow as the porches and bmws on the autobahn Obviously the golf had no comfort seats but admittedly, i feel really good. Have had shorter rides with other cars where I got out with pain everywhere.

With a 535D i would have been a bit faster at times but considering that i would have to pay more for petrol (the intervals are the same because the larger tank in the 5 series compensates for the high consumption), i think the trip today can considered as pretty positve. Thumbs up for the Golf...
Attached Thumbnails ...VW Golf - Competition???-img_1149.jpg  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='461482' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:02 AM
Bit over the top to call a Golf competition, but read this and let us think about it again :

My car is being sold on Monday so to keep the limited mileage, I borrowed my partner's car to drive from Vienna to Cologne and return in one day - sat in the car for 16 hours, and drove 1150 miles with an hour break in between and 2 gas stops. The statistics:

Average speed: 75 mph
Average consumption: 35 MPG
Car: Golf V 90 PS TDI

When i left at 4 in the morning, i was bitching about how frustrating the drive will be - well honestly, 17,5 hours later, I must admit, it was not bad. In Austria I was comfortably doing my 80-85 mph, and in germany, i managed to hit the 110 mph with no traffic, rest of the time i was as fast/slow as the porches and bmws on the autobahn Obviously the golf had no comfort seats but admittedly, i feel really good. Have had shorter rides with other cars where I got out with pain everywhere.

With a 535D i would have been a bit faster at times but considering that i would have to pay more for petrol (the intervals are the same because the larger tank in the 5 series compensates for the high consumption), i think the trip today can considered as pretty positve. Thumbs up for the Golf...

nice try, but no -- I'm not buying it! I do a 1000km/600mile round trip every week on German and Dutch motorways, and have done the route with different cars. The 5er is by far more comfortable & relaxing than a Golf, Audi A3, etc. in my opinion. After having had two 3ers, I have to say there is also a significant difference in comfort & relaxed feel between them and the 5er. Driving at higher speeds in a larger car is simply more relaxing. For example its certainly not as deafening / stressful as trying to maintain the same high speeds in a smaller (city) car! Don't get me wrong, the Golf is great for what it is, but IMHO certainly no competition for regular long distance cruising -- TOTALLY different league. And if you are serious about fuel efficiency, then a 520d will get you similar, if not better fuel consumption.