The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Thinking of a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Gents and Gals,

Just the other day I was overcome with the urge to light my 5er on fire and take up residence in a Porsche hardtop coupe. The Cayman S really looks great and I hear its handling is essentially peerless. On the flip side, a 911 S is roughly .5 second quicker (mid 4s) in the 60 with no worries of being terrorized by near luxury sports sedans of all makes. It has more cabin room, legroom, and its a classic.

What would you select?

Here is my current thoughts.

Cayman S

Pros

1) Handles better (hardly anything handles better)
2) Unique and a throwback in many ways. (just looks vintage)
3) Looks very attractive, especially from the front and rear. Some shapes are not resolved enough.
4) More storage room
5) Cheaper than the 911 S

Cons

1) He didn't have enough dough for the 911 aka Jeremy Clarkson
2) No sunroof. This is very bothersome.
3)No backseat for quick storage or doggie.
4) Slower than the 911 S 4.6 versus 5.0 (only a tad faster than my 550 or 535)
5) Too boyracer
6) Legroom is tight

911 S

Pros

1) A legend and yet understated.
2) Probably more a driving challenge and unique Porsche (considering that engine config is not ideal.)
3) Speedy - Not miles anyway from Ferraris
4) More room
5) Good resale
6) Rugged
7) Looks of a classic.

Cons

1) 20K more
2) Storage
3) Not as unique
4) No mid-engine layout
Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

A classic is always the best ,it's not a compromise and likely will hold it's value better. If you get the Cayman you'll always wonder if the 911 was the better choice or worse ... know it was.
Cheers
Old 11-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Contributors

The Cayman is the "poor man's 911". Everytime I see one, all I think is "ah, couldn't quite afford the 911 eh". I think it's quite ugly too I'm afraid to say. For me it would be 911 or nothing.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='494391' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:43 PM
The Cayman is the "poor man's 911". Everytime I see one, all I think is "ah, couldn't quite afford the 911 eh". I think it's quite ugly too I'm afraid to say. For me it would be 911 or nothing.
+1

If money is really an issue consider a very lightly used 1-2 year old 911S
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Members

Go 911. My 525 is my daily driver my 911 is my toy.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of a Porsche-dsc_0007_with_blue_sky_13x8_mailing.jpg  
Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

a 997 facelft is just around the corner... so thread carefully
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

The true enthusiast would choose the Cayman. Its truly mechanically better designed and its chassis/mid-engine layout is superior. It has posted better skidpad numbers than the 997. If you ask me Porsche purposely gave it less power because it would really beat a 997.

"No Sunroof", to me is a PLUS. Who wants that extra weight up top?

Don't listen to poor mans Porsche comment, sorry but that is snobbish and ignorant.

The 911 is the classic Porsche though, an imperfect design made perfect.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='494459' date='Nov 14 2007, 07:52 PM
The true enthusiast would choose the Cayman. Its truly mechanically better designed and its chassis/mid-engine layout is better. It has posted better skidpad numbers than the 997. If you ask me Porsche purposely gave it less power because it would really beat a 997.

"No Sunroof", to me is a PLUS. Who wants that extra weight up top?

Don't listen to poor mans Porsche comment, sorry but that is snobbish and ignorant.

The 911 is the classic Porsche though, an imperfect design made perfect.
You'd be surprised, the 997 typically posts skidpad numbers that are about the same or better than the Cayman. The 997S is massively quick, much more so than the Cayman. The S routinely posts low 4 second 0-60 runs and I'd also defy anyone to truly feel that the 997 isn't just as well balanced as its sibling. With the 997 (particularly with the S which has PASM as standard) you simply can't tell that there is additional weight out the back - the harder you corner the harder the back end digs in and it just grips. It's just incredible, you just need to learn that you don't lift off mid corner. The other benefit with the rear engine layout is that off-the-line traction is simply epic (the 295 or 305 tires help). I absolutely agree with you that the Cayman is a very fine car indeed, but I personally feel that the true enthusiast would and should choose the 997.

Both EVO and one of the US magazines named a 997 variant (the GT3) as its best handling car with a field that also included the Cayman. EVO has in fact just named the GT3 RS as its 2007 Car of the Year - it beat the new F430 Scuderia which came second and the Audi R8 into third.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Members

I drive a 997S as my daily driver and that is the obvious choice to me. I love everything about the car and honestly I love it more every single time I drive it. I think the 997S is the most versatile 911 ever made in that it is suitable for track time with the PASM in sport setting and normal is quiet and smooth for daily driving.

When I had my 996 I had it in the shop for some work and was given a loaner that was a Cayman S. Thos who look at it and think "could not afford a 911" could not be more wrong. After dirving the Cayman S for several days I loved the car and found it more than worthy of carrying the Porsche badge, and it does it well. I could make an argument that the Cayman S platform is a much better one than the 911 platform. It is well balanced, has great interior and overall build qaulity etc. The only drawback for me on it was its size limitation. I don't know that it would be best as a daily driver given no back seats and cramped cabin space. I think it is more a fun weekend car or dedicated track car.

I think the 911S is the car for me, but I encourage you to go and drive both and see which you like better. They are both great in many ways and they are very different cars. I need the extra room of the 911 and I just like the way it looks better, etc. I respect the Cayman S as a very nice addition to the Porsche family of cars and those who do not probably have not spent any seat time in it, or simply write it off as irrelevent because it is "not a 911". In the end drive and buy what you like and do not worry about what other say about your choice.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='494467' date='Nov 15 2007, 08:30 AM
You'd be surprised, the 997 typically posts skidpad numbers that are about the same or better than the Cayman. The 997S is massively quick, much more so than the Cayman. The S routinely posts low 4 second 0-60 runs and I'd also defy anyone to truly feel that the 997 isn't just as well balanced as its sibling. With the 997 (particularly with the S which has PASM as standard) you simply can't tell that there is additional weight out the back - the harder you corner the harder the back end digs in and it just grips. It's just incredible, you just need to learn that you don't lift off mid corner. The other benefit with the rear engine layout is that off-the-line traction is simply epic (the 295 or 305 tires help). I absolutely agree with you that the Cayman is a very fine car indeed, but I personally feel that the true enthusiast would and should choose the 997.

Both EVO and one of the US magazines named a 997 variant (the GT3) as its best handling car with a field that also included the Cayman. EVO has in fact just named the GT3 RS as its 2007 Car of the Year - it beat the new F430 Scuderia which came second and the Audi R8 into third.
Agree.

PS: james can you pls post a link to the article of evo mag?

And people forget: Cayman has no lsd

Quick Reply: Thinking of a Porsche