The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

So long E60...... what to replace it with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input guys. I knew I could depend on the confirmed petrol heads on this site to give good advice. I have enjoyed the E60 a lot but the sight of all those M sport equipped cars driving round the UK from next month is going to make me unhappy with my car. The M sport kit just makes the car look so much more impressive IMHO. I guess I could have bought the kit but it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend another ?3k or so to modify my car as I will almost certainly change it at a maximum of 2 years.

Northernmonkey you're right about the 645. I narrowly missed out on doing a deal on a used 645Ci with all the toys which was an April 04 car with under 4000miles on it. I could have had it for around ?48.5k I reckon. Mark, I still have the Z4 and it has been out a fair bit this summer but on fairly short day trips.

I think that my best bet to replace the E60 is the X5 with comms pack and a few other extras - I'm not going mad on the extras list Mark as I know I won't have it for longer than 12 months. I can't get a diesel X5 as the waiting list extends to June 05. I can, however, get a 3.0 petrol for November to my spec. Having gone through the pros and cons of 12 month depreciation on the X5 and 630Ci with the guys at the dealership, the X5 comes out way ahead on cost of ownership over 1 year. It will be around ?5k less to start with as well. I hope to get around ?30k for my 530 as a trade in which they say they will be able to do for me. My car cost ?41k last October so I guess that isn't too bad a drop at around 27%.

The M5 vs 997 debate is valid but I don't have any kids at present nor do I need to carry anything in the car. I know the base Carrera will not be as fast as the M5 but I'd definately lose my licence in one of those in speed camera infested UK. This is also a distinct possibility in a 911! My heart says go for the 911. It's a Porsche, it will hold it's value better, it looks fantastic, and it is a rarer car in the UK. On top of this is the fact that I can now afford to buy one and all thoughts of other cars are disappearing out of my head fast!

My only regret will be missing the great team spirit on this forum where everyone is helpful and friendly. I have difficulty imaging such a forum for Porsche owners.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Contributors

Don't worry, the PCGB will welcome you with open arms

Despite not having one at present, I'm a member and really enjoy their track days/meetings etc

Porsche...there is no substitute...quote(tom cruise)!....I'm very jealous.

Unfortunately, 3 wee boys makes a 911 impractical for me but I thought of a boxter as a 3rd car when the prices soften with the release of the 987 replacement.

Enjoy!........what options are you going for on the porky?

DD
Old 09-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

Wow ISUK it's a nice problem to have choosing from all these great cars

Definitely go for the X5 for the residuals, then when you're considering the Porsche, don't forget that the new baby Aston AM V8 should be available at the same time. I'd have a look at that too
Old 09-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Senior Members

Doc D,

The options are going to be limited to keep the budget down but include: rear wiper (I imagine the slope of the window makes it collect dirt and I need to keep an eye out for unmarked plod vehicles! ), park assist, auto dimming mirrors, bi-xenons, tiptronic, cruise control, sports seats, navigation, cd changer and Bose. Sounds a lot but the Porsche options list seems endless. That little lot adds ?7k to the base price as it is but I couldn't envisage not having these items

Browellm,

I'm only just managing to figure out how to afford the Porker. Don't tempt and confuse me with the thought of an Aston A friend of mine sold his business eralier this year and bought himself a V12 Vanquish as a treat. What a car that is!! One day..... maybe
Old 09-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Contributors

as long as you DON'T get the sport-chrono pack you'll be fine

DD
Old 09-07-2004, 03:31 AM
Contributors

I am waiting for the 928 4 doors. I heard it should be out by 2007. I saw the spy pictures on the web
Old 09-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Here is the spy picture of the 928 4 doors.

Found it:

Old 09-07-2004, 03:33 AM
Contributors

porsche 928 4 doors
Old 09-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Contributors

sorry..forgot to attach the pic
Attached Thumbnails So long E60...... what to replace it with?-porsche.jpg  
Old 09-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

ISUK, I mentioned the AMV8 because it will be the same price as the Porker. Think how many Porkers will be on the roads then have a look at this baby

Quick Reply: So long E60...... what to replace it with?