The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Serious Eye Candy from TechArt

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
For all its worth, I think its more honest that Porsche just started selling 4-door cars and SUVs under it's own name and didn't go inventing a brand, like Toyota did with Lexus or Nissan with Infiniti and so on.

As for prestige. the world is changing - for better or worse - we either "lead, follow, or get out of the way"

Having seen several Panameras in real life already, I must say, I love the car. I think it is a real Porsche and it is probably a great car to drive. It is somewhat overpriced IMHO, but so are all German cars.

Tuned Panameras are becoming a tuner's favorite all over, so instead of resisting - even if you don't initially like it - I'd rather go with the flow and try to understand and embrace the change. At least this way, there is a chance I'll be around when the next change occurs - and who knows, I might influence the next change.

Above said, it is true what they say - to each his own, so if someone doesn't like it, he doesn't have to look at/buy/drive it.
Strategically speaking but also financially the move from Toyota with Lexus and Nissan with Infinity, gave them the shift needed to sell their premium cars. That's the exact reason Volkswagen failed with the Phaeton cars...till then Volkswagen was regarded as accessible car brand (peoples' car) but when they wanted to rival with 7 series and Mercedes S models they failed exactly to that, even though the quality of the car was on par with the others.

That's exactly where Porsche imho made the mistake. As i said earlier, we are waiting a Porsche to compete with the Mini Cooper S and were set. A Ferrari will always be considered an exotic where Porsche has lost it's touch with this
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
Strategically speaking but also financially the move from Toyota with Lexus and Nissan with Infinity, gave them the shift needed to sell their premium cars. That's the exact reason Volkswagen failed with the Phaeton cars...till then Volkswagen was regarded as accessible car brand (peoples' car) but when they wanted to rival with 7 series and Mercedes S models they failed exactly to that, even though the quality of the car was on par with the others.

That's exactly where Porsche imho made the mistake. As i said earlier, we are waiting a Porsche to compete with the Mini Cooper S and were set. A Ferrari will always be considered an exotic where Porsche has lost it's touch with this
I don't know... I think VW failed with Phaeton only because it looked like its gonna put you to sleep...

And Ferrari is coming out with a hybrid in 2012... so... its anyone's guess. But its a matter of choice - I'd get the Panamera, personally.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Yes but you're missing the point here! I'm not talking about financial status ("doing well"), i'm talking about heritage and prestige! I don't think people care anymore if a prestigious company (eg German car company) starts to build cars in US or China. I mean people have so long moved on since we truly live in a global economy. So as long as quality it's the same they don't really care what nationality builds that product.
No - I'm not missing the point, I'm just showing another perspective. What I was trying to say with my previous post was referring to the public's perception of BMW's prestige and heritage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all Porsches made in Zuffenhausen? If so, imagine the initial fallout if they started building them here in the U.S., or better yet - Mexico.

Also before BMW entered the SUV market, it was not regarded as a pure sports car brand. Sure it made sports saloons and some sports coupes but it also built big luxury cars like the 7 series from 1977. That's 33 years! Also the X5 is being built for how long ? 11 years? Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Prior to the X3/5 BMW's was only well known for making CARS (and to a much lesser extent, motorcycles). At the time nobody except for BMW thought an SUV can be engineered to perform and handle like a car - let alone a BMW. Porsche simply one upped everybody.

So only until recently when the Cayenne poped up (2002) and (2009) with the Panamera, Porsche was a pure breed sports car company. Also correct me if i'm mistaken. In a way until 2002 Porsche could be named "Germany's Ferrari". Can you say the same thing now?
If you don't consider the "roadsters" Porsche produced then yes, they were a pure breed sports car company until 2002. IMO there is a diffenence between a roadster and a sports car. As long as they continue to make the 911 they will still be "Germany's Ferrari". The first time I saw a Cayenne whizzing down the Autobahn I fell in love with it. I can almost say the same about the Panamera. Personally, I think the biggest hit to their image was when they starting building cars that were more affordable to the masses (Boxter and base Cayenne).

Its too bad you feel this way about the Panamera. But to each their own - cheers!