The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Recommedation on a good minivan

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

My wife asked me today to hunt for a new minivan for her as our baby is getting older and she wants to have more room for the whole family (there are only the 3 of us). :'( She's now driving a Lexus RX330 and love the ride quality of Lexus. I wonder if the Toyota Sienna has the same ride quality as the RX330. Anyone has experience or has a good minivan than can recommend? I now have the Honda Odyssey or the Toyota Sienna in mind. Any other good suggestions?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Volvo XC90? Ford S-Max? The Ford might be EU only, not sure, but it looks pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails Recommedation on a good minivan-112_06geneva_01x_ford_s_max_front_passenger_side.jpg  
Old 02-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' post='394229' date='Feb 22 2007, 05:01 AM
Volvo XC90? Ford S-Max? The Ford might be EU only, not sure, but it looks pretty nice.
The S-Max is not available in Canada. I like the XC90 too, but my wife wants me to get her a MINIVAN. :'(
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

A couple years ago, I went through the same decision between the Odyssey and Sienna. Both vans are very nice and choosing between them was one of the hardest car-buying decisions I've ever had to make since the two vehicles are so similar in so many ways. Each time I found one feature that "tipped the scales" toward one of them, I found another feature on the other one that tipped it back again.

Here's some of the differences between the Sienna and Odyssey that I remember thinking about...

Toyota Sienna Limited AWD:
AWD = plus
more plush interior = plus
HID headlights = small plus
able to play DVD's on front screen while parked = small plus
no satellite radio = big minus
no CD changer with Nav option = big minus
softer ride/handling = minus
unable to enter nav destination while moving = big minus
exterior styling = minus
premium gas required = minus

Honda Odyssey Touring:
sportier ride/handling = big plus
rear DVD discs load from front seat = big plus
integrated satellite radio = plus
CD changer available with nav = plus
exterior styling = plus
runs on regular gas = plus
painted pdc sensors in bumpers = small plus

(I'm sure there were other small things I compared but right now, those are the ones I can think of. There are many, many features that both vehicles have that I didn't list here -- rear camera, heated seats, memory seats, etc.

I ended up going with the Honda and for me, I'm convinced it was the right decision. Again, they are both fine vehicles and I'm sure I wouldn't hate the Toyota if I had it but based on me being a gadget guy who likes a sportier riding car, the Honda won out. I would hate to have to pull over each time I wanted to make a change to my navigation destination, etc. Having the ability to keep the DVD's up front allows us to load up and take care of the kids on longer trips. Also, having the DVD slot in the dash makes the DVD screen in the rear slimmer and less intrusive on the cabin space (it also has a slightly larger viewable screen, I think.) The headlights on the Honda, although not Xenon, are very, very impressive. I initially thought that would be a big deal to me (not having HIDs) but after driving the Honda these past two years, I realize that the non-HID lights are still quite good. I also seem to remember that the Toyota was a little trickier to "live with" when it came to things like how you move the middle seats in order to get people into the third row seat, etc.

I hope this helps you out -- if you would have asked this question a couple years ago, I'm sure I would have remembered many more details -- let me know if you have any other specific questions...

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='394286' date='Feb 22 2007, 10:04 AM
A couple years ago, I went through the same decision between the Odyssey and Sienna. Both vans are very nice and choosing between them was one of the hardest car-buying decisions I've ever had to make since the two vehicles are so similar in so many ways. Each time I found one feature that "tipped the scales" toward one of them, I found another feature on the other one that tipped it back again.

Here's some of the differences between the Sienna and Odyssey that I remember thinking about...

Toyota Sienna Limited AWD:
AWD = plus
more plush interior = plus
HID headlights = small plus
able to play DVD's on front screen while parked = small plus
no satellite radio = big minus
no CD changer with Nav option = big minus
softer ride/handling = minus
unable to enter nav destination while moving = big minus
exterior styling = minus
premium gas required = minus

Honda Odyssey Touring:
sportier ride/handling = big plus
rear DVD discs load from front seat = big plus
integrated satellite radio = plus
CD changer available with nav = plus
exterior styling = plus
runs on regular gas = plus
painted pdc sensors in bumpers = small plus

(I'm sure there were other small things I compared but right now, those are the ones I can think of. There are many, many features that both vehicles have that I didn't list here -- rear camera, heated seats, memory seats, etc.

I ended up going with the Honda and for me, I'm convinced it was the right decision. Again, they are both fine vehicles and I'm sure I wouldn't hate the Toyota if I had it but based on me being a gadget guy who likes a sportier riding car, the Honda won out. I would hate to have to pull over each time I wanted to make a change to my navigation destination, etc. Having the ability to keep the DVD's up front allows us to load up and take care of the kids on longer trips. Also, having the DVD slot in the dash makes the DVD screen in the rear slimmer and less intrusive on the cabin space (it also has a slightly larger viewable screen, I think.) The headlights on the Honda, although not Xenon, are very, very impressive. I initially thought that would be a big deal to me (not having HIDs) but after driving the Honda these past two years, I realize that the non-HID lights are still quite good. I also seem to remember that the Toyota was a little trickier to "live with" when it came to things like how you move the middle seats in order to get people into the third row seat, etc.

I hope this helps you out -- if you would have asked this question a couple years ago, I'm sure I would have remembered many more details -- let me know if you have any other specific questions...

Good luck!

I too like the Odyssey more. There are A LOT of aftermarket parts for cosmetic modification for the Odyssey but very limited for the Sienna. That's a big factor for me to consider about since I would for sure modify the minivan a little bit and make it doesn't look like a FAMILY minivan.
However, with the Lexus that I currently have, and compares to the other couple Hondas I've owned before, the ride quality (softness and quietness) is much better on the Lexus than the Hondas. I know I'm comparing Lexus with Honda but I strongly believe that Toyota is very similar to Lexus when looking at their higher price range vehicles. Agreed?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My grandparents have an Odyssey and I must admit that it's a pretty sweet minivan. My vote would be for it, although it sounds like you don't need one at all, especially if you already have the RX330. What if you wait for the BMW minivan that's supposed to come out? I have no idea when that's going to be I've just heard about it.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='394358' date='Feb 22 2007, 01:53 PM
I too like the Odyssey more. There are A LOT of aftermarket parts for cosmetic modification for the Odyssey but very limited for the Sienna. That's a big factor for me to consider about since I would for sure modify the minivan a little bit and make it doesn't look like a FAMILY minivan.
However, with the Lexus that I currently have, and compares to the other couple Hondas I've owned before, the ride quality (softness and quietness) is much better on the Lexus than the Hondas. I know I'm comparing Lexus with Honda but I strongly believe that Toyota is very similar to Lexus when looking at their higher price range vehicles. Agreed?
I gotta see what a pimped out/modded out minivan looks like. Don't forget some AIB's! LOL!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='394361' date='Feb 22 2007, 01:58 PM
My grandparents have an Odyssey and I must admit that it's a pretty sweet minivan. My vote would be for it, although it sounds like you don't need one at all, especially if you already have the RX330. What if you wait for the BMW minivan that's supposed to come out? I have no idea when that's going to be I've just heard about it.
We are not going to keep the Lexus. I'm just gonna trade that in for the minivan. And yes, I don't need and I don't like a minivan for this small family but hey, THAT'S THE ORDER I'VE GOT FROM THE HIGHEST AUTHORITY AND IT HAS TO BE TAKEN CARE OF!!! :'(
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='394366' date='Feb 22 2007, 02:05 PM
I gotta see what a pimped out/modded out minivan looks like. Don't forget some AIB's! LOL!
It's not going to be modify to a pimped out look. It's just going to be some nice body kit and rims.

Here's a pic of the Japanese version Odyssey modified by Mugen.
Attached Thumbnails Recommedation on a good minivan-wp3_800.jpg  
Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Members

How about Acura MDX or Subaru Tribeca? Both seat 7 people (not that it's necessary for u) and have good gadgets. Price is reasonable.

Sliding doors mini-van are not cool :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Recommedation on a good minivan