The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Porsche vs Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My other car is an 02 Porsche 911 Targa (996). I've got the itch to get something new and have been considering a new 911S (997). But yesterday I looked at the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It's drop-dead gorgeous, but I haven't driven it yet.

Does anyone know anything about this model and how it compares to the Porsche?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Well, I've got utmost respect for anything Porsche but I would happily sell my soul to the Devil for the keys to an Aston. From the reports I've read most of the magazines seem to think the 911 is ultimately the slightly better car (not exclusively, some comparisons have put the Aston ahead) but the Aston is the one that they would want to own if they were spending their money. That's pretty much how I think I feel, head might say Porsche but heart (and wallet) would say Aston and that's what I'd go for if I were you. You're a lucky guy if you have the choice!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='284003' date='May 18 2006, 12:13 AM
Well, I've got utmost respect for anything Porsche but I would happily sell my soul to the Devil for the keys to an Aston. From the reports I've read most of the magazines seem to think the 911 is ultimately the slightly better car (not exclusively, some comparisons have put the Aston ahead) but the Aston is the one that they would want to own if they were spending their money. That's pretty much how I think I feel, head might say Porsche but heart (and wallet) would say Aston and that's what I'd go for if I were you. You're a lucky guy if you have the choice!
Are you saying an Aston Martin would cost less?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='283966' date='May 17 2006, 08:38 PM
My other car is an 02 Porsche 911 Targa (996). I've got the itch to get something new and have been considering a new 911S (997). But yesterday I looked at the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage. It's drop-dead gorgeous, but I haven't driven it yet.

Does anyone know anything about this model and how it compares to the Porsche?

If you already have a Porsche then go with the AMV8
Old 05-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Contributors

That's not a bad decision you've got there. For performance and the ability to drive everyday, I'd get the 997S.

There's no arguing that the AMV8 is drop-dead gorgeous, but it's more of a GT car in comparison. I'd also think that it'd would garner more attention. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Saudi_545i' post='284029' date='May 17 2006, 11:33 PM
Are you saying an Aston Martin would cost less?
No, just saying which one would get my cash. Aston is likely to be more expensive when compared to most of the 911 range.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Members

I have an 04 996 C2, and love it. My brother in law bought a new 997S last week, and it is incredible. I think it depends on what you want. If you want another true sports car the 997S is so much better in so many ways than our 996. The interior alone is worth the upgrade. If you want something a bit more comfortble and not quite as raw then the AM woudl likely be your better bet. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. To me it isn't about which of these is a "better" car ecause they are both outstanding in different ways. To me it is about which is "better for your lifestyle" at this moment. Good luck, and I wish I had your problem with this choice.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the feedback so far. I really go back and forth on the two cars . . .

I definately want a true sports car, not a GT. I believe that unlike the other Astons, the new V8 is a sports car.

I won't drive it until next week, but from what I've heard, it probably will run at 9/10ths (9.5/10ths?, 9.8/10ths?) of the 997. The thing is, I'm not so sure that I'm a good enough driver to ring the last 1/10th out of any sports car.

Finally, my most contrary thought . . . I love to drive a car that no one else has (I've never seen another 996 Targa in the four years I've owned mine), but I've got that classic New England Yankee thing that makes me uncomfortable standing out too much. And while I love the exclusivity and beauty of the Aston, it sure as hell stands out in a crowd!

BTW, I know, I know . . . it's a hell of decision to have to bear!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

I've now driven both the AM V8 Vantage and a C4S. Very surprising . . .

To me, there was a huge difference. Compared to the Porsche, the AM did in fact drive much more like a GT than a true sports car. Very beautiful, very easy to drive, but somewhat under-powered and totally without the viceral, raw, edgey feel that the Porsche provides. I was disappointed.

One other thing . . . that beautiful shape of the AM results in a couple of horrific (and dangerous) blind spots.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

if your planing on the aston...i suggest you hurry and ask your dealer cause i think it has a looooooooooooooonnnng waiting list...

Quick Reply: Porsche vs Aston Martin