The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

paying paying paying

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

if I am looking towards BMW it becomes a very expensive car:
- extra paying for the voice control
- extra paying for MP3
- extra paying for DVD playing in the front
- extra paying for the individual rear entertainment (without having it already-just the price for individual)
- extra paying for mp3 aux

THIS IS ALL FOR FREE WHEN YOU BUY A MERCEDES.
You can better buy an S-classe
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by de_smet_h' date='Feb 16 2005, 03:44 PM
Guys,

- extra paying for MP3
- extra paying for the individual rear entertainment (without having it already-just the price for individual)

[snapback]90922[/snapback]
Driving one - PRICELESS!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

Rhetorical question -- Have you kicked a Merc lately?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Premium PKG, Automatic, Cold Weather PKG, Xenon Headlights, Sat Prep;
Thumbs up

I know questions about DVD come up quite a bit, but how does one watch a DVD while driving without inviting the possibility of an accident?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Why don't we compare warranty / maintenance coverage? After a Merc owner pays for some of the things BMW covers for FREE, then lets compare costs.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

If you're (mentally) 4 years old and need to drive while watching a DVD; listening to an MP3; and giving commanding voices to your car while trying to get OPP (Evenflow's attempt at rapping), and all your passengers need entertainment too, by all means, get the S-classe.

Or a mini-van.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Members

In all fairness to the poster, the answer is that BMWs come with less anemities by default, and if you want them you have to pay more. That's how it is. BMW charges more for the drive. A lot of people are surprsised my car doesn't play MP3 CDs when even a 1/2 priced Acura can. But does the Acura drive the same? Or that the my car doesn't have an in-dash 6CD changer when most cars now do. It's all about what you value more.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

Originally Posted by de_smet_h' date='Feb 16 2005, 01:44 PM
Guys,

- extra paying for MP3

[snapback]90922[/snapback]
Am I wrong or is non of that stuff free on Mercedes either? I don't think Mercedes has voice control, nor do they have mp3 capabilities, or even an option to install an auxillary input. I don't think any cars, in the US at least, come equipped to play DVD for free. And I don't think that Mercedes even has an option for rear-entertainment, except in their ML's. So if you had any of these in a Mercedes, it would end up being more expensive than a BMW.

David
Old 02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 16 2005, 03:25 PM
In all fairness to the poster, the answer is that BMWs come with less anemities by default, and if you want them you have to pay more. That's how it is. BMW charges more for the drive. A lot of people are surprsised my car doesn't play MP3 CDs when even a 1/2 priced Acura can. But does the Acura drive the same? Or that the my car doesn't have an in-dash 6CD changer when most cars now do. It's all about what you value more.
[snapback]90945[/snapback]

I have to disagree. Before I leased my 545, I considered and priced and E500 (which is the appropriate comparison to a 545, not the S class). Though the list price was lower on the E500 (if I remember correctly) after equally optioned (seats, leather, sunroof, lights, etc.) the E500 was more. Merc is less willing or unwilling to negotiate on price and the money factor was not as good, leading to a much higher lease price.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by robg' date='Feb 16 2005, 04:30 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Feb 16 2005, 03:25 PM']In all fairness to the poster, the answer is that BMWs come with less anemities by default, and if you want them you have to pay more. That's how it is. BMW charges more for the drive. A lot of people are surprsised my car doesn't play MP3 CDs when even a 1/2 priced Acura can. But does the Acura drive the same? Or that the my car doesn't have an in-dash 6CD changer when most cars now do. It's all about what you value more.
[snapback]90945[/snapback]

I have to disagree. Before I leased my 545, I considered and priced and E500 (which is the appropriate comparison to a 545, not the S class). Though the list price was lower on the E500 (if I remember correctly) after equally optioned (seats, leather, sunroof, lights, etc.) the E500 was more. Merc is less willing or unwilling to negotiate on price and the money factor was not as good, leading to a much higher lease price.
[snapback]90948[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was talking more in general but I see your point. You can't even play MP3 CDs on an E60 (not that I know of) and it's 2005 and BMW still doesn't have an in-dash 6CD changer which even a Honda Accord does. I'm not really complaining, but you get my point I hope. It's how people perceive things. In a 50-60K car they assume it will have these things. I wish it had them, but they are less important to me.

Quick Reply: paying paying paying