The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New S65 AMG is insane...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you find that so impressive?
IMO the hp figure is NOT impressive for a v12 (2cyl more than the m5) 6 liter (1 more) and twin turbo (na).
The torque is indeed huge and belive it or not too much if u ask me. Why too much? Because although let's say the extra hp in this compensates with it's weight (comparing with an m5) the actual performance figures aren't that mind blowing. 0-100 4.4 sec (0.3 faster than the m5) 0-200 13.3 sec (around 1.5 faster than the m5). All "that extra" with double the torque? That shows how much torque is being wasted. The dsc light must be going crazy at every acceleration.

in the end, again imo, this car just doesn't worth the price it carries. Why should i be tempted to buy an s65 amg and not buy an m5 and tune it at hamann for 10000euros to 600+bhp and equal the performance of the merc, and keeping a very sporty machine that also handles great on the twisties in other words has way more driving experience. Critics may start hey we're not comparing stock with stock. I DON'T CARE. we're not also comparing 200000$ with 100000$. So why should i buy a merc s 65 amg? Oh yes, for the extra space, for the criminal straight line performance (wich for sure it's alot in the price tag), and a 55+ year tag on my neck telling to everyone: Heeeey people, i'm an old cock that can afford a merc and i can push that pedal to the floor if the road is clean of other cars or twisites. Really now...some may find my comment as being agressive but i find that car illogic and frankly aimed to people that i don't like too much. It's such a grandomany of a car. Maybe that's because i'm 21. I dunno...
[/quote]

Hey....I'm not an old cock, I'm 21 too....but hell.....give me that merc anyday. Not everyone likes the harsh ride from the M5 compared to the S class.
[/quote]
LoL are you kidding me? Yes it is way more confortable but bealive me when i say the more pwerfull the car gets (the more sport oriented) the tougher the suspension has to be. "Crusing" at 300km/h on a mursmellow suspension...right! Ment flying back there...
Maybe u bought the wrong car...maybe u should have bought an E?!?
What's with people when they think that fast/sport is all about hp/toruqe!?!?!?! It's the whole package (engine, suspension, tires, weight balance, transmission, handling, feel...........the list can continue). If u have only one ingredient like "engine" as that s class has, then u got nothing if u ask me.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Have to agree with BetterMakeWay on this one. It is relatively easy to make a car go fast in a straight line vs. putting together a "balanced package" as only BMW and Porsche can.

I stopped judging cars purely on straight-line speed when I was about 18. For driving enjoyment, I would take an M5, or 550i Sport for that matter, any day over an S65.

I would also guess that most S65 buyers really aren't enthusiasts but rather rich guys who want the best (i.e. most expensive) S-class, as an S500 is too common at the country club.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='218127' date='Jan 1 2006, 09:44 PM
Have to agree with BetterMakeWay on this one. It is relatively easy to make a car go fast in a straight line vs. putting together a "balanced package" as only BMW and Porsche can.

I stopped judging cars purely on straight-line speed when I was about 18. For driving enjoyment, I would take an M5, or 550i Sport for that matter, any day over an S65.

I would also guess that most S65 buyers really aren't enthusiasts but rather rich guys who want the best (i.e. most expensive) S-class, as an S500 is too common at the country club.
exactly :thumbsdown:
Old 01-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

SPEED Channel is testing the MB SL65 with Formula 1's Mika Hakkinen tonight (Jan 2) I think at 10pm ET.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='218390' date='Jan 2 2006, 05:09 PM
SPEED Channel is testing the MB SL65 with Formula 1's Mika Hakkinen tonight (Jan 2) I think at 10pm ET.
Yep, I recorded most all of it (missed a portion of SL55). Did u see at the end AMG going NA with new V8 engine and getting away from SC.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

I do not like the new S class at all, especially outside. OK, I?ve said that everytime a new model came out but this I will not get used to.

Of course AMG has to put there hands on it, but the torque is kinda scary I have to admit.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

But the inside is nice, eh?

That's because it's a complete ripoff of the 7-series!

I think the new S Class shows what an impact Chris Bangle is having on the industry - I really doubt MB would have been so aggressive with the exterior if it wasn't for him pushing the envelope.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

The inside? Nice?

Naww
Attached Thumbnails New S65 AMG is insane...-9277.jpg  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220515' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:30 AM
The inside? Nice?

Naww
Yes i agree. I don't like the steering wheel and the dials.
Also u can easily see the shape of the navigation (how it implements in the whole structure). 7 series copy!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

MB has the ugliest looking steering wheels design in the whole automotive industry

Quick Reply: New S65 AMG is insane...