The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

The new Lexus IS is heavily influenced by the Bangle era BMWs. The sad part is that the design is actually a smoother application of the new styling initiative than the lines of BMW's own E60.

What is your opinion?
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus IS-lexus_is.jpg   New Lexus IS-lexus_is2.jpg   New Lexus IS-lexus_is3.jpg  
Old 03-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Members

Whether critics or the public likes it or not... Bangle did indeed create a design revolution.

Had Bangle not done such 'controversial' designs the car industry wouldn't be where it is today. We would not have the CLS, these new Lexus's and the new Infiniti's.

I applaud Bangle and BMW for taking the heat in doing so. Bangle can be added to the list of artists/sculptures/painters who sadly will probably be more appreciated as time goes on, and people appreciate not only his work, but realize the revolution he had started...

The same goes for iDrive. Allthough BMW took the heat from the press for making an apparently overly 'complicated' system, however other manufacturers have learned and (some) have improved on it getting much praise from the automotive press. Such is the way of things, actually it reminds me of...

Apple line of Newton handheld computers, which never really was a commercial success, but were in-fact the first PDA's that the world ever saw. Even though the first 2 incarnations I think had extremely bad handwriting recognition, models after have still today not been matched. However it is the first impression that counted by the press, and the public nor the press never forgot the first impression given by that line of products. Unfortunately, I think for a while, the public will, despite BMW's best efforts, think of iDrive as a hard and complicated to use system for several years to come, thanks to our lovely automotive press...

*enough ranting about automotive press for the day I am off to BMW to pick up some parts !*
Old 03-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

E60 copy cat!

That looks like the Scion tC makes it look cheaper than it really is.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 525d, orient blue with beige interior. Planing on getting an E60 535d next summer when my lease on my E39 is over :)

"The sad part is that the design is actually a smoother application of the new styling initiative than the lines of BMW's own E60."

It might be smoother but the original is always better!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Disgraceful!

That front bumper!!

I'll never drive my car again.

ONLY KIDDING!!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

I like it - but it's still a Lexus, not a BMW.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

looks better than new GS
Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Rich

Originally Posted by JiMmY912' date='Mar 21 2005, 11:46 AM
looks better than new GS
[snapback]104566[/snapback]
The new IS not only looks MUCH better than the E60, it also looks better than the E90 in my opinion. We will have to wait to see how it drives. And before I get a flag from the faithful, I own a manual 2001 5er and have owned two other 3's. I'm in the market but I just can't warm up to the styling of the E60 or that stupid i-drive. I am looking forward to driving the E90 AND the 06 IS when available. Kudos to Lexus for designing a very handsome automobile!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: Jap Snail with 4 bangers

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 21 2005, 12:28 AM
E60 copy cat!?

That looks like the Scion tC? ? ? ? ? ? ? makes it look cheaper than it really is.?
[snapback]104391[/snapback]
That's what I was talking to my wife. Scion Tc with Lexus badge.
I used to have IS300 before and I was Japanese car freak.
The quality was very nice and it's a well built car indeed.
But it cannot be compared with the new 3 series
Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by Rich' date='Mar 21 2005, 01:06 PM
The new IS not only looks MUCH better than the E60, it also looks better than the E90 in my opinion.? We will have to wait to see how it drives.? And before I get a flag from the faithful, I own a manual 2001 5er and have owned two other 3's.? I'm in the market but I just can't warm up to the styling of the E60 or that stupid i-drive.? I am looking forward to driving the E90 AND the 06 IS when available.? Kudos to Lexus for designing a very handsome automobile!
[snapback]104604[/snapback]
OK first off.. The i-Drive is not stupid becuase it makes things alot simpler and compact.. all the Bimmers have it now.. and if you were not gonna get the bimmer cause of it well guess what Audi has there version of it and now Mercedes has a version of there own.. So very much disagree with that statment..

Second..Looks much better? Ok will give it to you, I had to let the E60 grow on me too, but if you think that IS looks better then the E60 get your eyes checked.. The thing looks so cheap looking the older IS was much better..The E90 will have to grow on me as well theres some things about it that I like and some things I wonder what the hell what they were thinking but in no way do i see the IS being better then hte E60 or E90

Quick Reply: New Lexus IS