The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Need help with choosing new car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sciarrino' post='449179' date='Jul 17 2007, 11:21 PM
1. Aston Martin DB9, very nice car.
2. Porsche, but not Carrera! You have one year left, so you can find a 997 GT3 or 997 Turbo.
I see you drive now 535d, than buying Carrera will disappoint you, it's too slow.... (my opinion).

Postel is looking at the Carrera S, which is anything but "slow". 0-60 in the low/mid 4 seconds. One US mag got around 4.0 dead.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

What to do? An AMV8, R8, 911CS, or a e90 M3...geez....I wish I had your problem!

All kidding aside, here is how I look at each (Likes/Dislikes):

AMV8 - exclusivity; best interior of the bunch and most luxurious / not as competitive as other cars in this class from a performance standpoint; low gas mileage without the performance to show for it.

R8 - exclusivity; very sporty; physique of exotic cars three times it's price; nice cabin and dash design / may not be suitable as a daily driver (but as you've inidicated, this will be a "second" car so that point is nil); not every Audi dealer can service this car; 1st generation will always have the most bugs.

911CS - classical design that never gets old; being that it's the only car I've driven from your list I must say that I would consider the seats acceptable as a daily driver / ubiquitous (at least here in So. California).

e90 M3 - all the latest tech inside and out; handling will no doubt instill confidence in a driver; usable rear seats / low torque; may suffer the same fate as the 911 in that you'll see many on the streets; may not be fun for city driving unless you regularly drive at higher RPMs.

My choice among the cars you listed would have to be the Audi. It's the new car on the block that has it's own unique look; most people wouldn't confuse it for something else and if they did, it would probably be with a car worth a lot more. By contrast, it's easier to mix up the 911. There's many different 911 versions and the new one this year looks like the one last year and the year before that. With the M3, it looks like the coupe but with a body kit. This is a very bland way of describing it, but you get my point.

I like the performance numbers so far. Motor Trend reached 60mph in 4.1sec (that's plenty enough for my needs and purposes) with the R tronic paddle shifting transmission. And again, the handling is plenty for my needs.

The interior is nice and I love the layout. I didn't like the 911's (but admittedly was probably due to being so use to iDrive). With Audi's MMi controller I'll feel right at home.

I wish the car had more torque for more city-driving fun, but that's what the upcoming RS version is for.

Need help with choosing new car-audir807_03.jpg
Need help with choosing new car-audir807_07.jpg
Need help with choosing new car-audir807_inter2.jpg
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='449748' date='Jul 19 2007, 08:37 AM
What to do? An AMV8, R8, 911CS, or a e90 M3...geez....I wish I had your problem!

All kidding aside, here is how I look at each (Likes/Dislikes):

AMV8 - exclusivity; best interior of the bunch and most luxurious / not as competitive as other cars in this class from a performance standpoint; low gas mileage without the performance to show for it.

R8 - exclusivity; very sporty; physique of exotic cars three times it's price; nice cabin and dash design / may not be suitable as a daily driver (but as you've inidicated, this will be a "second" car so that point is nil); not every Audi dealer can service this car; 1st generation will always have the most bugs.

911CS - classical design that never gets old; being that it's the only car I've driven from your list I must say that I would consider the seats acceptable as a daily driver / ubiquitous (at least here in So. California).

e90 M3 - all the latest tech inside and out; handling will no doubt instill confidence in a driver; usable rear seats / low torque; may suffer the same fate as the 911 in that you'll see many on the streets; may not be fun for city driving unless you regularly drive at higher RPMs.

My choice among the cars you listed would have to be the Audi. It's the new car on the block that has it's own unique look; most people wouldn't confuse it for something else and if they did, it would probably be with a car worth a lot more. By contrast, it's easier to mix up the 911. There's many different 911 versions and the new one this year looks like the one last year and the year before that. With the M3, it looks like the coupe but with a body kit. This is a very bland way of describing it, but you get my point.

I like the performance numbers so far. Motor Trend reached 60mph in 4.1sec (that's plenty enough for my needs and purposes) with the R tronic paddle shifting transmission. And again, the handling is plenty for my needs.

The interior is nice and I love the layout. I didn't like the 911's (but admittedly was probably due to being so use to iDrive). With Audi's MMi controller I'll feel right at home.

I wish the car had more torque for more city-driving fun, but that's what the upcoming RS version is for.
That's a great post and you make very valid observations. I'm really liking the R8 too.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='449791' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:39 AM
That's a great post and you make very valid observations. I'm really liking the R8 too.
Thank you and I'm glad that you took it as just that...my observations. Nothing more. I wouldn't consider myself a car 'expert' by any stretch of the imagination but I do know what I like in cars.

And for what it's worth, had the R8 not been part of Postel's list, the 911 would be my choice. I just can't explain how amazing it feels to be connected with the car and the road when I'm driving.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d

Thanks Centurion, for the great reply!!!

It is a difficult decision... as Centurion said, every car has it's advantage over the other...

I really really really like the 911... but (and forgive me for my strange way of thinking) here in Belgium you see them a lot!!! That is the only thing that disappoints me...

So, with the M3, AM V8 and R8 left...

I now own an E46 M3 Convertible and it is epic... But maybe it is time for something else...

So, with the AM V8 and R8 left...

The R8 will go faster, uses less fuel, drives better (I think) ...

But I can't help it, the AM V8 is like "art", it is just gorgeous...

Another problem is that our M3 is a convertible and that is great in summer... R8 not in convertible (yet) and AM is to expensive in convertible (and not so beautiful)...

But, to be honest, I think it is going to be the Audi...

Any opinions on the colour?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Hi,

Fuel consumption is an argument against the Martin? Typically Audi Engines loose on fuel consumption against BMW/DC and are known for being thirsty...

At the end.. fuel consumption should not be an argument on any of these cars, right?

regs
Volkmar
Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d

AN R8 should be pleased with 14 l/100 km, for an Aston you should count on 19 l/100km...
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Members

well my list would be down to the R8 Or the New E92 M3
Aston will prob break down more and you should be able to drive the other 2 harder. And i like them more the R8 more so for looks the M3 for the new engine, Ummm V8 420BHP Ummmm. Sorry my 2 cents again i like it lol. just needs a nice colour. like carbon black with a carbon bonnet and wings for weight saving. ha.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by The Parrot' post='450234' date='Jul 20 2007, 09:19 AM
well my list would be down to the R8 Or the New E92 M3
And i like them more the R8 more so for looks the M3 for the new engine, Ummm V8 420BHP Ummmm.
The new M3 motor does lack torque (295 ft-lbs).

If you are considering the new M3, you should also look at the new C63 amg. Especially since the first reports are the new M3 handling is not up to par, it has been stated as "numb" feeling.

New M3: 420 hp/295 lb-ft

New C63: 450 hp/443 lb-ft

That is a 30hp/148 lb-ft difference. That is huge.

C63 is the first car by Benz to be built from the ground up by AMG. This is the first AMG product to be designed from its computer-conception for extreme performance. Its predecessors (like most AMG models) are essentially tuner specials, with bolted-on performance.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='450361' date='Jul 20 2007, 01:46 PM
C63 is the first car by Benz to be built from the ground up by AMG. This is the first AMG product to be designed from its computer-conception for extreme performance. Its predecessors (like most AMG models) are essentially tuner specials, with bolted-on performance.
Wow that's pretty cool. I knew that the AMG division designed and built only the 6.2L motor for all Mercedes classes (E, CLS, CLK, etc.) but I didn't realize that the entire C63 car was all AMG. That's amazing!

Quick Reply: Need help with choosing new car