The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Mercedes E350 vs BMW 530i

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I had to make the same choice.

The E lost out on reliability over he last 4 years and continued problems with dealers that have been highlighted in the UK. MB have spent a lot of money on the E in the last year to put right faults and have apparently resolved a lot of the issues................I will wait and let others judge that before I give them my cash.

The E also lost out on driver feel. it was a more comfortable quieter ride than the BMW but it was like driving a boat in comparison. Service and repair cost were also a lot higher.

The E is a nice sofa on wheels, but I wanted to feel I was in control of the car not just pointing it.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

I don't like the MB interior. If you compare from C class and E class, there is not much difference. Moreover, has better quality than MB so I did not see the E class a competition at all for the 530i, or even 525i.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 550i

Originally Posted by arcleid' post='363477' date='Dec 4 2006, 12:13 PM
I don't like the MB interior. If you compare from C class and E class, there is not much difference. Moreover, has better quality than MB so I did not see the E class a competition at all for the 530i, or even 525i.
The C class was very, very small inside, and the E class had some ergonomic issues. What's with that arm rest?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAF' post='363473' date='Dec 4 2006, 12:03 PM
I had to make the same choice.

The E lost out on reliability over he last 4 years and continued problems with dealers that have been highlighted in the UK. MB have spent a lot of money on the E in the last year to put right faults and have apparently resolved a lot of the issues................I will wait and let others judge that before I give them my cash.

The E also lost out on driver feel. it was a more comfortable quieter ride than the BMW but it was like driving a boat in comparison. Service and repair cost were also a lot higher.

The E is a nice sofa on wheels, but I wanted to feel I was in control of the car not just pointing it.

KAF was right... he has important points. It drives like a boat, sofa on wheels and bad service. Does it ring a bell? All American cars are boat, sofa on wheels and provide bad service. Why would you pay big bucks for a dodge or chysler? Many American business care about money only, quality and service are last concern. Trust me, I live in USA.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='363274' date='Dec 3 2006, 05:57 PM
Which one is a better car ? Just asking because I am deciding between the 5 or the e.
I came from a MB E350 (lemon), so guess what's my answer??

I'll give you my best unbias feedback. The 5 feels and handles alot better than the E. IMHO, the sports package on the MB "only" compares to a non-sport package 5-series. The SP on the 5 just takes this vehicle to another level in its class. Offcourse, if you get the AMG on the E-class, then that's a different story. I remember the MB forums use to say Lexus are for passengers and MB are for drivers. I can now say MB is soft and BMW is nice and tight......
Old 12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Locksmythe' post='363499' date='Dec 4 2006, 01:33 PM
The C class was very, very small inside, and the E class had some ergonomic issues. What's with that arm rest?
I agree on the E class arm rest. You're basically resting your right arm on wood (the sliding cover for the storage area). Very uncomfortable! Their seats were not the best either (on the E550). The lumbar supports set with a manual lever and the number of adjustments were minimal for a car in that price range.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi Silver Grey / Black Leather

It is hard to compare cars that have been built for different purposes. I read an article somewhere which interviewed higher ups at both companies and although they are competing companies, they have two different visions. Basically, MB is striving to build a car that drives itself, while BMW is building a better car to drive.

Kind of like comparing a powerboat to a sailboat.

Good luck finding what is right for you.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='363274' date='Dec 4 2006, 09:57 AM
Which one is a better car ? Just asking because I am deciding between the 5 or the e.
I will never get a MB now unless they fix alot of there bug and there servis people are from germany and not china.
Both cars are bad for eletronics but the MB is much more bad.
I know a few frends that got MB and for the 1st 2 months they had to take it back 4 time to get the el. fix.
Then after 4 months he sold it and got a BMW.

ask your self these things
1. do you like driving? yes BMW no MB
2. do you hate noise in the car like engine, outside noise? then MB
3. which is built better? BMW
Old 12-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='363274' date='Dec 3 2006, 09:57 PM
You're unlikely to get an unbiased opinion here! The E looks too "old man" for me.

If you're in business you drive a Mercedes. If you mean business you drive a BMW.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by shiny' post='363792' date='Dec 5 2006, 04:25 AM
If you're in business you drive a Mercedes. If you mean business you drive a BMW.

Quick Reply: Mercedes E350 vs BMW 530i