The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Mercedes E350

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, steelgray, step, premium, cold package, xenons

I have driven BMW's since 1972 when I bought a 2002. Since then I have had a variety of BMW's including an E30 325i, E36 325i, and E39 528i and an E39 530i. Most recently I have owned a 2004 E60 530i. I gradually did warm up to the interior and exterior design, although continued to find the car awkward from certain angles. More troubling were certain aspects of the driving experience. My car -- and several others I drove -- creaked when going up or down driveways, suggesting a lack of structural rigidity. I have wondered if it might be due to BMW's attempt to combine an aluminum forward section with a steel body through a unique bonding process. I had many creaks and rattles -- the door seals, the rear seat popping, the rear parcel shelf noise, the grinding steering wheel slip rings,-- many of which were never isolated or fixed despite repeated visits to the dealer. I found the engine considerably less smooth on moderate acceleration than previous models (I had the automatic transmission). I was never able to adjust the steering wheel in such a way that it didn't cut off the top of the speedometer and tach. I never did find a really comfortable seat position. The rearward visibility was terrible, making parking difficult and almost getting me into accidents in lane-change maneuvers on the freeway on a number of occasions.

A month ago I broke with tradition and bought a Mercedes E350. It has the new 268 horsepower engine and a 7-speed transmission. It is a much more satisfying car to drive. It has a smoother ride while handing as well as the BMW. It has no creaks or rattles. It is more comfortable. The engine has a lovely melodious sound at low or high revs. I love the way it looks.

I had previously admired Mercedes' but never found them much fun to drive. All that has changed. I would suggest that those in the market for an E60 try the E350 first.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Cool

And be prepared to reach deeper into your wallets!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I love the E-Class from Mercedes.. My father in law has one and when I reach his age I will consider one for sure..
Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:56 AM
And be prepared to reach deeper into your wallets!
[snapback]173198[/snapback]
Actually there is very little difference -- and the E350 was certainly much less expensive than a 545i.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 21 2005, 12:23 PM
I love the E-Class from Mercedes.. My father in law has one and when I reach his age I will consider one for sure..
[snapback]173240[/snapback]
You know, I'm probably his age, but the Mercedes feels more lithe and agile -- and therefore younger -- than the 530i. I think it would appeal to the younger set!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

I like Mercedes as well, the styling is very classy and the interior looks way better than my E60. I drive a 06 CLS and love it, when I pull up in parking lots I get many admirers even snapping pictures of it. When I drive the E60 it gets looks also but not at the same level that the Benz gets. The only draw back about the benz is it has no bluetooth and thats it. I love german cars but having many bimmers in the past I tend to lean in the side of the Mercedes.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Had mine now for a couple weeks and love it...totally different ride than my 545...just comes down to what you want from your car.

Funny thing is that this car gets a lot more looks than my 545 with the m-kit did...probably has more of a universal appeal and isn't as polarizing ...in other words people in their 60?s give me thumbs up and I never got that in the 545

Old 09-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Very nice car.. Are those Brabus wheels?? They look a lot like them. I love Brabus I think they make a mercedes very sporty..
Old 09-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Henry' date='Sep 21 2005, 08:57 PM
[quote name='530iii' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:56 AM']And be prepared to reach deeper into your wallets!
[snapback]173198[/snapback]
Actually there is very little difference -- and the E350 was certainly much less expensive than a 545i.
[snapback]173288[/snapback]
[/quote]

cheaper ... but not comparale to the 545
Old 09-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

The E-Class is a fine car indeed, but..

I agree that the E-class has more universal appeal than the E60 but this appeal is more to the "comfort/luxury" end of the market than the "sporty/luxury" end so it depends on what you are looking for.

The E60 has had a difficult birth with some Image issues and Quality issues. The looks of the E60 have really come of age and we are already seeing imitators. The qaulity issues seem to be being adressed and most drivers of new cars seem pretty satisifed.

Mercedes have come close to bottom in many reliability/satisfaction serveys over the last few years. My colleague has an E and an ML and both have been almost permamently in the garage for issues. Both have been hassle since he has had them.

On the whole, both the E and the E60 are great cars. For me the driving dynamics, the sporty image and the BMW badge fit well with me right now - but as always I keep an open mind

Quick Reply: Mercedes E350