The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

MB CLS500

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I took my parents to test drive cars. My mother was in the market. 1st stop was the MB dealer to look at the absoluteley gorgeous CLS500. He had one on the showroom floor, some limited edition Launch edition with a unique color and interior package. Sticker $75K without Nav or phone or PDC. + dealer premium of $15K made a window of $90K. The sales manager was ready to sell the car for 77k. Well first my mother drove the S class. Nice and smooth, very nice limo. She enjoyed it but its too big. Then we all drove the CLS500. What a POS. The car was all over the place. I could turn the steering wheel atleast 2 inches before the I could feel the car respond. Just horrible handling and a very cramped interior.

Then after lunch we drove the Acura RL. Nice car. Very well appointed, more spacious at the back than our beloveds, nice fit and finish, softer seats. Nice handling car. The 300HP V6 required a lot more spinning to get results than my car below. The rider was plusher than the SP E60 with runflats.

Finally she drove a 530i. She liked the drive, found the punch lacking. She found the RL sleeker and more comfortable. She also liked the price. Dive home in a fully loaded car for $46K before tax and license.

So WTF are MB thinking. I think the car looks great but for 90K I would rather drive a 645i
Old 02-27-2005, 09:51 PM
JWO
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 27 2005, 11:46 PM
I took my parents to test drive cars.? My mother was in the market.? 1st stop was the MB dealer to look at the absoluteley gorgeous CLS500.? He had one on the showroom floor,? some limited edition Launch edition with a unique color and interior package.? Sticker $75K without Nav or phone or PDC. + dealer premium of $15K made a window of $90K.? The sales manager was ready to sell the car for 77k.? Well first my mother drove the S class.? Nice and smooth,? very nice limo.? She enjoyed it but its too big.? Then we all drove the CLS500.? What a POS.? The car was all over the place.? I could turn the steering wheel atleast 2 inches before the I could feel the car respond.? Just horrible handling and a very cramped interior.?

Then after lunch we drove the Acura RL.? Nice car.? Very well appointed,? more spacious at the back than our beloveds, nice fit and finish,? softer seats.? Nice handling car.? The 300HP V6 required a lot more spinning to get results than my car below.? The rider was plusher than the SP E60 with runflats.

Finally she drove a 530i.? She liked the drive, found the punch lacking.? She found the RL sleeker and more comfortable.? She also liked the price.? Dive home in a fully loaded car for $46K before tax and license.

So WTF are MB thinking.? I think the car looks great but for 90K? I would rather drive a 645i
[snapback]95168[/snapback]

Hormazd...this is a bit off the topic but I checked out your photos of your car and it looks sweet! Did you paint the calipers yourself? If so, what did you use and was it difficult to do?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by JWO' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:51 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Feb 27 2005, 11:46 PM']I took my parents to test drive cars.? My mother was in the market.? 1st stop was the MB dealer to look at the absoluteley gorgeous CLS500.?? He had one on the showroom floor,? some limited edition Launch edition with a unique color and interior package.? Sticker $75K without Nav or phone or PDC. + dealer premium of $15K made a window of $90K.?? The sales manager was ready to sell the car for 77k.?? Well first my mother drove the S class.? Nice and smooth,? very nice limo.? She enjoyed it but its too big.?? Then we all drove the CLS500.?? What a POS.? The car was all over the place.? I could turn the steering wheel atleast 2 inches before the I could feel the car respond.? Just horrible handling and a very cramped interior.?

Then after lunch we drove the Acura RL.? Nice car.? Very well appointed,? more spacious at the back than our beloveds, nice fit and finish,? softer seats.? Nice handling car.?? The 300HP V6 required a lot more spinning to get results than my car below.? The rider was plusher than the SP E60 with runflats.

Finally she drove a 530i.? She liked the drive, found the punch lacking.? She found the RL sleeker and more comfortable.? She also liked the price.? Dive home in a fully loaded car for $46K before tax and license.

So WTF are MB thinking.?? I think the car looks great but for 90K? I would rather drive a 645i

Hormazd...this is a bit off the topic but I checked out your photos of your car and it looks sweet! Did you paint the calipers yourself? If so, what did you use and was it difficult to do?
[snapback]95170[/snapback]
[/quote]

I bought a friendly mechanic a bottle of Tequila. He jacked up the car, removed the wheels and calipers. They were painted by brush with the calipers still hanging using G2 Brake Cliper paint. I bought the kit for from here. Its a lengthy and messy process which I would not do myself since you really want the caliper at eye level while painting.

IMO a relatively in-expensive mod that makes the car stand out.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 28 2005, 01:46 AM
So WTF are MB thinking.? I think the car looks great but for 90K? I would rather drive a 645i
I agree with you.. with 90k 645CiC is a much better choice..
Old 02-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Contributors

I attended the Cleveland Auto Show yesterday.
One car I wanted to see was the CSL 500.
Got to sit in it, and was a bit disappointed.
Seemed very cramped, little headroom, and those 7 inch door windows seemed very odd.
Interior appointments reminded me of a Chysler 300 C.

The car cuts a great profile , and rear 3/4 view is pretty hot.
But the driving position needs some getting used to, I believe , as i just sat in it at a car show.

My son thought it would be a nice hunker down feeling when driving on the freeway, I guess I'll test drive one once the dew is off the lilly.

Nice new look of the E500 underpining, I must say, but not sure it will be as comfertable as MB drivers have come at expect.

DR.Z
Old 02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

i test drove it earlier this month. see my post .
Old 03-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Members

Wierd I loved the CLS the CLS55 handles about just aswell as the E60 M5 it also out accelerates it with all of its low end torque ther both about even. The CLS is very classy and elegant. The Acura RL is in a league of its own I dont think it should be compared to BMW, Merc and other brands its simply boring and a wanna be luxury brand in my book. Keep in my mind this is just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

I believe that's the first time I have ever heard that a Mercedes handled as good as a BMW.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ferrarislave' date='Mar 24 2005, 01:14 AM
Wierd I loved the CLS the CLS55 handles about just aswell as the E60 M5 it also out accelerates it with all of its low end torque ther both about even. The CLS is very classy and elegant. The Acura RL is in a league of its own I dont think it should be compared to BMW, Merc and other brands its simply boring and a wanna be luxury brand in my book. Keep in my mind this is just my opinion.
[snapback]105847[/snapback]
I did not see ur report on ur test drive of the E60 M5. Could u point me to it please?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Smile

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 28 2005, 01:46 AM
I took my parents to test drive cars.? My mother was in the market.? 1st stop was the MB dealer to look at the absoluteley gorgeous CLS500.? He had one on the showroom floor,? some limited edition Launch edition with a unique color and interior package.? Sticker $75K without Nav or phone or PDC. + dealer premium of $15K made a window of $90K.? The sales manager was ready to sell the car for 77k.? Well first my mother drove the S class.? Nice and smooth,? very nice limo.? She enjoyed it but its too big.? Then we all drove the CLS500.? What a POS.? The car was all over the place.? I could turn the steering wheel atleast 2 inches before the I could feel the car respond.? Just horrible handling and a very cramped interior.?

Then after lunch we drove the Acura RL.? Nice car.? Very well appointed,? more spacious at the back than our beloveds, nice fit and finish,? softer seats.? Nice handling car.? The 300HP V6 required a lot more spinning to get results than my car below.? The rider was plusher than the SP E60 with runflats.

Finally she drove a 530i.? She liked the drive, found the punch lacking.? She found the RL sleeker and more comfortable.? She also liked the price.? Dive home in a fully loaded car for $46K before tax and license.Very well said. I test drove one last week and had the same complaints!!