The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M45 versus 545

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [b]CURRENT RIDE[/b] 1990 E34 535i Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Ski pass-through Halogen ellipsoid headlights and fog lights Winter package Repainted Imola Red Clear front Corners Rear Clear Corners Rocker Panels Painted DINAN engine chip 10 Disc CD Changer BMP Lowering Springs Racing Dynamics 17" RSG Wheels with 235/40/17 Tires M5 Skirt Package

Thx guys - i guess I would just have to take a look at both - however i am still swayed by the quality of the BMW's....just the issues people have been having made me think twice...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

M45 versus 545
uncomparable
Old 07-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Marven' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:15 AM
Thx guys - i guess I would just have to take a look at both - however i am still swayed by the quality of the BMW's....just the issues people have been having made me think twice...
[snapback]151534[/snapback]
Don't forget many of us do not have "real" issues. We have made issues ( me included) of such things as radio came on when starting car even though we turned if off - fixed by software upgrade. AC comes on even though turned off at shutdown. And what is an issue for me is someone else?s great feature. Not everybody with same configuration had same real issues. Auto Transmission slam for instance - some had it some did not. Same with SMG issues. Is the an M45 enthusiast forum. If so go there and see what issues they have. If o forum does that mean no enthusiasm for their ride and what does that tell u? Count how many of us have smiles on our faces whether in a V8 or I6. Here is at least one
Old 07-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:47 AM
[quote name='Marven' date='Jul 21 2005, 06:15 AM']Thx guys - i guess I would just have to take a look at both - however i am still swayed by the quality of the BMW's....just the issues people have been having made me think twice...
[snapback]151534[/snapback]
Don't forget many of us do not have "real" issues. We have made issues ( me included) of such things as radio came on when starting car even though we turned if off - fixed by software upgrade. AC comes on even though turned off at shutdown. And what is an issue for me is someone else?s great feature. Not everybody with same configuration had same real issues. Auto Transmission slam for instance - some had it some did not. Same with SMG issues. Is the an M45 enthusiast forum. If so go there and see what issues they have. If o forum does that mean no enthusiasm for their ride and what does that tell u? Count how many of us have smiles on our faces whether in a V8 or I6. Here is at least one
[snapback]151543[/snapback]
[/quote]

First of all, at over a year, I still look forward to driving anywhere in my 545 -- even if it has to be to work!

There is a big difference between the 530 and 545/550. The 530 is dynamically great, enough power, and maybe more rewarding/demanding in terms of managing the transmission to drive aggressively. (Like I think the VW/Audi 1.8 turbo is a blast with a stick. You totally have to work the stick constantly to keep it going aggressively, so it's kind of fun.) But the 545's power makes it just viscerally rewarding to drive, in a way that is very different from the 530.

The automatic transmission slam is the only problem I've heard about on all this that really bothers me. I have a manual, but that seems to me the only systemic fault here. Hopefully there is a fix for that soon.

So drive the M45 and the 545. If the M45 feels great, buy it. If it starts to feel like a nice Maxima, or a Cadillac DTS (great engine, otherwise too luxury and soft ride), and if you agree that the 545 makes you smile, then wait for the 550.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

You're asking the wrong forum. It's safe to say we're all biased towards the BMW. So I recomend you get the Bimmer!

I love the way the BMW handles, but you can't deny that you get WAAY more for your $$ (equipment wise) with the Infiniti.

Get the BMW if you don't mind small quirky things w/ the car (little noises and such) and if you want prestige. Not sure if the Infiniti has these little noises, but the amount of technology these cars have, it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Infiniti doesn't have as much prestige IMHO. Everyone knows it's a cheaper Japanese luxo brand (not that it's a bad thing just no prestige ).
Old 07-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

There are pluses and minuses but most are subjective. Someone mentioned cheap materials for BMW, but my car feels anything but cheap, especially compared to other automakers. Go touch the Lexus sunroof button. It feels like you could stick your finger right through the roof. And, I find the I-drive very reasonable and ergonomic. What other car can you control everything from the normal body position while driving. And lastly, for me, the styling is like nothing else out there. NOONE else can say that. A guy here at work has an M45 and I like it a lot. It looks nice, no doubt, but I like my car better. Also, when I drove the M45, it was extemely sunny and I could not see the nav display. With the 5, even with direct sunlight, the display shines through. Hard to explain, but the BMW display was well thought out (position/angle/brightness).

When I told my SA about the M45, he simply said go in and get a test car simply shake the hell out of everything (the center console, the pull handles, the handles to hold onto when turning, push on the dash, everything) with good force, and you'll see why BMW is better. I would suggest you try it. It just shows how solid BMW is. A lot of the complaints are by early adapters and thank God for them and the knowledge they've shared on this board, but all 1st year models have problems, becuase all suppliers of new technology have problems. I need to keep my car for at least 8 years. I got the extended warranty. I get free maintenance for the first 4 (unlike infiniti) and I plan to take could care of her until the wheels fall off, which never happens with BMW, so I guess I'll be riding for a long time!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Members

I agree with Aaron, my cousin has an M45 and it just doesn't have that same "solid" and secure feeling.

cheers,
Jack

P.S. How do i get my pic to show up under my name when i post something, thanks!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:37 AM
I agree with Aaron, my cousin has an M45 and it just doesn't have that same "solid" and secure feeling.

cheers,
Jack

P.S. How do i get my pic to show up under my name when i post something, thanks!
[snapback]151585[/snapback]
By the way: on that note, I love how rock-solid the door handles on my 5 are. They feel like they're friggin' structural! Small matter, but on some cars you can feel some "give" on them.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like prestige, sport, handling, and performance, Lexus and Infinity are not on the list.
If you like quality, body lean handling, BMW is not on the list
Drive both cars back to back to compared for yourself. Driving a favorite car brings you smile every single day.
However, when you buy 545 or 550, make sure you have it fully loaded for you'll regret.

Good luck.
P.S. Although GS 430/460 is temping, the trunk cannot fit a human body well
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: [b]CURRENT RIDE[/b] 1990 E34 535i Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Ski pass-through Halogen ellipsoid headlights and fog lights Winter package Repainted Imola Red Clear front Corners Rear Clear Corners Rocker Panels Painted DINAN engine chip 10 Disc CD Changer BMP Lowering Springs Racing Dynamics 17" RSG Wheels with 235/40/17 Tires M5 Skirt Package
Exclamation

Although GS 430/460 is temping, the trunk cannot fit a human body well
[snapback]151624[/snapback]

Quick Reply: M45 versus 545