The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

just finished my M45 sport test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just test drove a 2006 M35 and M45 back to back. The experience was better than I expected. I've been planning a ED trip for a 530i for the Oct production with the long awaited MP3 w/NAV ability and comfort access. After the test drive, it seems I have a lot to think about now.

M45 negatives:
1. NAV screen in bright daylight, not too bad
2. 17 mpg/23 mpg
3. No HUD

M45 neutrals
1. Console with buttons
2. Exterior styling(isnt agressive like 5, not plain but not agressive) maybe adding chrome options will make it a little more agressive.
3. Bose system sound ok.
4. Car is/seems big but solid on the road
5. M45 is V-8(this is kinda good)

M45 positives:
1. rear camera(actually shows trajectory on screen when backing up)

2. External A/V inputs using RCA connectors(yes audio and video)

3. Performance/power was incredible 335hp/340lb-ft (0-60 in 5.3)..I was at a dead stop, hit the gas and it felt like the car tried to rip the tires off as I got pinned back in my seat surprised me to say the least. even the M35 was quick. Was fun to drive.

4. Cost (get more for less)

5. DVD player when parked (also MP3) and option to add rear DVD screen

6. NAV was great. you can navigate to any destination in the US(kinda like google Earth without the pretty graphics)

7. Bluetooth

8. Ventilated/Heated seats.

9. Very nice interior

10. Back seat seemed huge.

11. Push button start now.

Even the TL/STS had some of the above positives but still didn't impress me the way the M45 did.

The bottom line is if the 5 series had all of the positives the M35/45 has(not counting those positives the 5 already has like Bluetooth), BMW would be unbeatable, unstoppable and no other car could touch it.

Give Infiniti the same level of prestige as BMW/MB and you would have the big 3 with Inifiniti being the best out of the bunch, and this would be m45.net

If a bimmer or mercedes drives buy, everyone knows exactly what it is(even if both brands were in the repair shop all week for I-drive issues(BMW) or electrical problems(M. It's still cool to say my bimmer or my benz is in the shop, right?
But of course if your Infiniti is in the shop then of course it is, it's an Infiniti

The poster that said a BMW/MB is like walking in the door with a supermodel on your arm and an Infiniti is like the kind of woman that you have to tell everyone how great she is because she is was DEAD ON...

I've test drove the Lexus GS, Cadillac STS and Acura TL after some of the mags/rags rated them over the 5 series and completely disagreed, but unfortunetly I cannot discount the car and driver article.

Nissan did do one thing right, they created the Infiniti brand rather than calling the Infinity M45 a Nissan M45(like Lexus/Toyota). I would not even have wasted the time otherwise.

anyway, i'm not canceling plans for Euro delivery just yet, but will give them both more thought and some more test drives
Old 08-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Members

if the propeller means that much to you, and you're that worried about what other people think, then go for it!

the M45 and 545i and without question on the same level, I've had both....

the seats the M are COOLED and ventilated, not just ventilated as on the 5..... and it's not a $3k option either......

hard core iDriver's that think less is more in regards to buttons are in denial, or they really haven't tried out other systems..... I'll run circles around anyone using iDrive using the Infiniti system....

A loaded up M45 is around $58k, to get the closest equivalent options in the 545i, it's $70k, that's still missing quite a few features that you just can't get on the 5 series....

Originally Posted by Fullspeed' date='Aug 17 2005, 05:27 PM
I didn't bother with the M45.? Without trying to sound snobbish, I really don't think that they belong in the same class with the Five.? The M is a lot of performance for the money, with the right driver it could beat some 545i's.? BMWs have always been much more than just performance though.? It's the experience of owning an elite German sedan.? It's the understated luxury - just enough, not too much.? It's the quality in the fit and finish - the sound of the motor, the thump of the closing doors.? And, I'm not going to lie to you here - it's the status of having the white and blue propeller logo on the nose of my car that has historically represented one of the finest manufacturers in the world.? Try as they will, Nissan will never reproduce these things.

Happy auto shopping.? You'll be more content with your big purchase once you've tried some other brands (and you'll have fun hurting those other cars in the process).

-Fullspeed
[snapback]160454[/snapback]
Old 08-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

The M45 definitely has lots of gadgets as do most Japanese cars, but I've test driven the M several times and that ATM cash machine looking thing doesn't run circles around IDrive -- it just adds three times the buttons for similar functionality.

It also makes the driver reach for the controls whereas IDrive allows the driver to use it from a normal arm resting position. Anyone who tries to demonstrate the M45's control panel while driving is asking for a serious accident.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Members

it 100% does.... no question about it..... BTW, you can navigate up/down/select around the menus via the steering wheel in the M.... can't do that on iDrive... and the distance between the steering wheel and hitting a button on the dash on of the M is about 1/2 of the distance between the iDrive controller and the BMW steering wheel....

it's more dangerous to use iDrive while driving than the Infiniti system, because you'll spend about 4x as long looking at the screen with one hand off the steering wheel doing anything with iDrive.....

denial.... denial....

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' date='Aug 21 2005, 07:57 PM
The M45 definitely has lots of gadgets as do most Japanese cars, but I've test driven the M several times and that ATM cash machine looking thing doesn't run circles around IDrive -- it just adds three times the buttons for similar functionality.?

It also makes the driver reach for the controls whereas IDrive allows the driver to use it from a normal arm resting position.? Anyone who tries to demonstrate the M45's control panel while driving is asking for a serious accident.
[snapback]161817[/snapback]
Old 08-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

FWIW, I seldom have to use I-drive now, because I have learned how to use many voice commands. That system is really convenient.

I say, if somebody prefers the M45, they should get it. It's undeniably a fine automobile. It just wasn't what I personally wanted. Seems pretty silly, to me, to depreciate $55-$70k autos. Pretty much everything on the market in that price range is pretty darn good. They just offer different things.

By the way, I think more people shopping in this price region ought to consider the Jaguar XJ. The new one is a great car; great navigation, bluetooth, and a plush ride. Handling is a bit iffy, though.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' date='Aug 20 2005, 11:06 AM
I totally disagree with you here.? It's all a matter of opinion of course, but the M45's "ATM Machine" looking control center is one of the cheesiest looking contraptions ever put in a car.? It is the antithesis of "understated", and it is far more gimmicky than anything ever put in a BMW.? As far as materials go, the wood in the M45 is also very unappealing and of far worse quality than BMW.

In BMW's, IDrive does it's job of keeping buttons from littering the dash.? On the M45, it has an IDrive knob in addition to a myriad of buttons on the control panel.? BMW added IDrive for a reason, M45 added it to copy everyone else.

The M is a fine car, but it's interior is about as elegant as the set of "The Price is Right".
[snapback]161485[/snapback]
What are you talking about?

I don't mind the button at all. Since it is much easier to press a button and get what you want. Rather than take your eyes off the road and fix your eyes on the screen so you can access menu after menu.

Although Infiniti's system has too many buttons (I actually much prefer Acura/Lexus touch screen system), it is still much easier to access quicker than I-drive.

Elegant? I fail to see where that argument is true on the base E60. E60's wood is not that appealing either. Plus if wood equates to classy interior than Audi wins. Because Audi's interior wood trim is one of the best on the market.

Quality? Last time i check, BMW's standard leather and sewing work is actually bad. I have seen 04 E60 with loose string already. The leather itself is not that high quality either. The plastic console, glove box, even the i-drive controller is simply very bad quality. (I have heard excuse from BMW sales man that platic on BMW is made up of recycle plastic hence the low quality).

The M45's interior is far better in quality than E60.

Unless you are buying a M5 with full leather and alcantra roof, you will not find any standard E60 that has better quality interior.

I have no problem with i-drive. It will take time to get used to. But the way BMW has designed it with complicated menu structure is stupid. No to mention way too many useless function provide by it.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' date='Aug 21 2005, 05:57 PM
The M45 definitely has lots of gadgets as do most Japanese cars, but I've test driven the M several times and that ATM cash machine looking thing doesn't run circles around IDrive -- it just adds three times the buttons for similar functionality.?

It also makes the driver reach for the controls whereas IDrive allows the driver to use it from a normal arm resting position.? Anyone who tries to demonstrate the M45's control panel while driving is asking for a serious accident.
[snapback]161817[/snapback]
how many menu do you need to drill down for perform a baic function in which a button can do for you?

Think about that.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Aug 22 2005, 05:32 AM
it 100% does.... no question about it.....? BTW, you can navigate up/down/select around the menus via the steering wheel in the M....? can't do that on iDrive...? and the distance between the steering wheel and hitting a button on the dash on of the M is about 1/2 of the distance between the iDrive controller and the BMW steering wheel....

it's more dangerous to use iDrive while driving than the Infiniti system, because you'll spend about 4x as long looking at the screen with one hand off the steering wheel doing anything with iDrive.....

denial.... denial....

[snapback]161917[/snapback]
Actually, I think you're the one who is in denial so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

With IDrive, most of the common functionality can be performed with the steering wheel buttons. And it's irrelavent how far the buttons/control panel are from the steering wheel -- you still have to reach over to hit anything on that big ATM panel in the M as opposed to the IDrive controller that sits where your hand rests next to the gear shift. IDrive isn't supposed to be close to the wheel, it's supposed to be located where your hand can easily access it without reaching.

In my opinion, the M setup is perfect for anyone who wants their car dash to look like a game show contestant's table. For others who want something that looks more refined and understated, the E60 (or MB or Lexus) will probably be more to their liking.

Don't take it personally, it's just a matter of preference. Go enjoy your M -- "No whammies, no whammies, no whammies...".
Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by krispykreme' date='Aug 22 2005, 05:11 PM
[quote name='DFWRaider' date='Aug 20 2005, 11:06 AM']
I totally disagree with you here.? It's all a matter of opinion of course, but the M45's "ATM Machine" looking control center is one of the cheesiest looking contraptions ever put in a car.? It is the antithesis of "understated", and it is far more gimmicky than anything ever put in a BMW.? As far as materials go, the wood in the M45 is also very unappealing and of far worse quality than BMW.

In BMW's, IDrive does it's job of keeping buttons from littering the dash.? On the M45, it has an IDrive knob in addition to a myriad of buttons on the control panel.? BMW added IDrive for a reason, M45 added it to copy everyone else.

The M is a fine car, but it's interior is about as elegant as the set of "The Price is Right".
[snapback]161485[/snapback]
What are you talking about?

I don't mind the button at all. Since it is much easier to press a button and get what you want. Rather than take your eyes off the road and fix your eyes on the screen so you can access menu after menu.

Although Infiniti's system has too many buttons (I actually much prefer Acura/Lexus touch screen system), it is still much easier to access quicker than I-drive.

Elegant? I fail to see where that argument is true on the base E60. E60's wood is not that appealing either. Plus if wood equates to classy interior than Audi wins. Because Audi's interior wood trim is one of the best on the market.

Quality? Last time i check, BMW's standard leather and sewing work is actually bad. I have seen 04 E60 with loose string already. The leather itself is not that high quality either. The plastic console, glove box, even the i-drive controller is simply very bad quality. (I have heard excuse from BMW sales man that platic on BMW is made up of recycle plastic hence the low quality).

The M45's interior is far better in quality than E60.

Unless you are buying a M5 with full leather and alcantra roof, you will not find any standard E60 that has better quality interior.

I have no problem with i-drive. It will take time to get used to. But the way BMW has designed it with complicated menu structure is stupid. No to mention way too many useless function provide by it.
[snapback]162179[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you truly think the M45's interior is of better quality than the E60 then I can only imagine you also prefer the dining experience at Pizza Hut over Morton's.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Members

heh.... I had the 545i..... and know all about iDrive.... do you stop your car if you have to adjust the air using the buttons on the dash 5 series dash? or do you ALWAYS adjust the air using voice commands? and what if you didn't have NAV with the 5 series (no voice commands), and you have REACH all the way to the dash to adjust the AC?? what if you have to adjust an air vent? doesn't that defeat the WHOLE purpose of iDrive then? because you had to take your hand away from the controller and reach to the dash? the argument of having the controller where you rest your hand doesn't fly, if you STILL have to reach for something anyways...

my point is, you don't have to REACH the buttons on the Infiniti system, they are close.... it's less of a reach to the buttons than the iDrive controller.... and you don't have to rest your hand there to operate the system...

it would be really entertaining to see users enter in a NAV address in the Infiniti system vs iDrive..... the iDriver would be 2-way scroooooooling from A......all.....the...way....down.... to...Z, and back again, while the Infiniti user could use the 8 way controller to zip around.... OR of course, just speak the address to the system, and not bother at all with using any controller....

I know that nobody here is going to change any minds.... it's not personal.....

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' date='Aug 22 2005, 08:34 PM
Actually, I think you're the one who is in denial so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.?

With IDrive, most of the common functionality can be performed with the steering wheel buttons.? And it's irrelavent how far the buttons/control panel are from the steering wheel -- you still have to reach over to hit anything on that big ATM panel in the M as opposed to the IDrive controller that sits where your hand rests next to the gear shift.? IDrive isn't supposed to be close to the wheel, it's supposed to be located where your hand can easily access it without reaching.

In my opinion, the M setup is perfect for anyone who wants their car dash to look like a game show contestant's table.? For others who want something that looks more refined and understated, the E60 (or MB or Lexus) will probably be more to their liking.

Don't take it personally, it's just a matter of preference.? Go enjoy your M -- "No whammies, no whammies, no whammies...".
[snapback]162234[/snapback]

Quick Reply: just finished my M45 sport test drive