The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

just finished my M45 sport test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been ruminating over it the past few hours, and what it comes down to is this, although it really doesn't make sense:

The M45 feels like it is trying to be light and nimble

The 545i is light and nimble.

I know the 545i is not light, but it feels convincingly so. The M45 has technology to help you think it is light, but you still feel that it is not. In the 545i, you'd swear up and down that the car is no more than 3000 lbs.

If I can find a decent salesperson who doesn't lie to me about the 550i (at Irvine BMW), I'll work on ED 550i, probably.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

The 545i Sport is large but nimble, powerful yet elegant.

The M45 is large and a bit clumsy; not nimble at all. Gimmicky and gadget-laden, as opposed to thoughtfully-engineered. Interior is cheesy.

These are only my opinions, but I would pick the Acura RL over the M45 any day, even given the underpowered nature of the Acura. It goes without saying that I believe the 545i is a far superior machine to the Infiniti.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 09:49 PM
[quote name='bobbybass' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:46 PM']I recently test drove both the 545 and the M45.? I was also impressed with the power and the handling of the M45, but the intererior was scary.? It felt like I was sitting is the cockpit of of a 747.?? Too many buttons, too many knobs.? Also the console come out way too far.? The controls were at least as complex as iDrive with lots of buttons anyways.

On the plus sides the unit I drove had ventilated seats, they were very cool I wish BMW would make it a regular option on units with comfort seats instead of a priority 1 option.

At this point I am leaning towards ordering a 550.
[snapback]160496[/snapback]
I know what you mean about the ventilated seats - they are crazy cool! It's not really ventilated, but truly air conditioned. I had to turn them down to almost nothing just to get comfortable as it was like sitting on freon. Very effective.

I'm a BIG fan of ventilated seats - love them on my E500, and I'm upset that BMW doesn't have them. Perhaps the leather they use breathes well enough not to cause a problem, or the climate control system is incredibly effective as well.
[snapback]160498[/snapback]
[/quote]
Do a search on ventilated seats. you should find that u can get them on a 5er but it will cost big $$ as you need about two other options. Possibly +$4k all told.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

The E60 gets the nod for exterior styling in my book. The M45 styling reminds me of a slightly re-styled Maxima.

The M45 gets the nod for quality and bang for the buck, including fit and finish in the interior.

Both cars, in my opinion, do a terrible job on interior styling. Whatever happened to the days of the driver-centric console a la the E39???
Old 08-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Member545' date='Aug 17 2005, 05:37 PM
I also respect BMW for offering a manual tranny in a V-8 sedan.
[snapback]160487[/snapback]
This is a major reason why I picked the 545i over the MBZ E500 or even BMW's own 745i.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:52 PM
I've been ruminating over it the past few hours, and what it comes down to is this, although it really doesn't make sense:

The M45 feels like it is trying to be light and nimble

The 545i is light and nimble.

I know the 545i is not light, but it feels convincingly so.? The M45 has technology to help you think it is light, but you still feel that it is not.? In the 545i, you'd swear up and down that the car is no more than 3000 lbs.

If I can find a decent salesperson who doesn't lie to me about the 550i (at Irvine BMW), I'll work on ED 550i, probably.
[snapback]160499[/snapback]
You need to thank Active roll stablization and AFS for that nimble feel.

Despite what C&D states. I think AFS is great.

May be over kill for car like M5. But for daily use, AFS is quiet nice.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:57 PM
The 545i Sport is large but nimble, powerful yet elegant.

The M45 is large and a bit clumsy; not nimble at all.? Gimmicky and gadget-laden, as opposed to thoughtfully-engineered.? Interior is cheesy.

These are only my opinions, but I would pick the Acura RL over the M45 any day, even given the underpowered nature of the Acura.? It goes without saying that I believe the 545i is a far superior machine to the Infiniti.
[snapback]160500[/snapback]
I will totally disagree with you regarding the interior.

The M's interior quality is far suprior than base E60. BMW has never been known to have excellent interior quality unless you got the full leather route on high end model.

As far as gadet-laden and gimmick, BMW is far worse in this sense. Personally i like the I-drive. But for a lot of older folks, this is way too much for them to learn. Is it really necessary to give driver so many choices?

Although i think Jeremy Clarkson's review on the M5 is an overkill. But he does have a point. Why does BMW needs to give you ability to set timer on when to shut off the light?

Menu design wise, Germans needs to learn from their japanese counter part. All of the japanese navi are much more powerful and easier to use.

Moreover there are simply too much software in a BMW.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I know what you mean about the ventilated seats - they are crazy cool! It's not really ventilated, but truly air conditioned. I had to turn them down to almost nothing just to get comfortable as it was like sitting on freon. Very effective.

I'm a BIG fan of ventilated seats - love them on my E500, and I'm upset that BMW doesn't have them. Perhaps the leather they use breathes well enough not to cause a problem, or the climate control system is incredibly effective as well.
[snapback]160498[/snapback]
[/quote]

At least in Europe you can order your 5-series with ventilated seats but only with Comfort seats and Nasca leather.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by krispykreme' date='Aug 18 2005, 01:03 AM
The M's interior quality is far suprior than base E60.? BMW has never been known to have excellent interior quality unless you got the full leather route on high end model.?

As far as gadet-laden and gimmick, BMW is far worse in this sense.? Personally i like the I-drive.? But for a lot of older folks, this is way too much for them to learn.? Is it really necessary to give driver so many choices?

[snapback]160553[/snapback]
I totally disagree with you here. It's all a matter of opinion of course, but the M45's "ATM Machine" looking control center is one of the cheesiest looking contraptions ever put in a car. It is the antithesis of "understated", and it is far more gimmicky than anything ever put in a BMW. As far as materials go, the wood in the M45 is also very unappealing and of far worse quality than BMW.

In BMW's, IDrive does it's job of keeping buttons from littering the dash. On the M45, it has an IDrive knob in addition to a myriad of buttons on the control panel. BMW added IDrive for a reason, M45 added it to copy everyone else.

The M is a fine car, but it's interior is about as elegant as the set of "The Price is Right".
Old 08-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' date='Aug 20 2005, 11:06 AM
[quote name='krispykreme' date='Aug 18 2005, 01:03 AM']
The M's interior quality is far suprior than base E60.? BMW has never been known to have excellent interior quality unless you got the full leather route on high end model.?

As far as gadet-laden and gimmick, BMW is far worse in this sense.? Personally i like the I-drive.? But for a lot of older folks, this is way too much for them to learn.? Is it really necessary to give driver so many choices?

[snapback]160553[/snapback]
I totally disagree with you here. It's all a matter of opinion of course, but the M45's "ATM Machine" looking control center is one of the cheesiest looking contraptions ever put in a car. It is the antithesis of "understated", and it is far more gimmicky than anything ever put in a BMW. As far as materials go, the wood in the M45 is also very unappealing and of far worse quality than BMW.

In BMW's, IDrive does it's job of keeping buttons from littering the dash. On the M45, it has an IDrive knob in addition to a myriad of buttons on the control panel. BMW added IDrive for a reason, M45 added it to copy everyone else.

The M is a fine car, but it's interior is about as elegant as the set of "The Price is Right".
[snapback]161485[/snapback]
[/quote]

totally agree with dfwraider. The M45 interior to me does look a little cheap and gimmicky.

Quick Reply: just finished my M45 sport test drive