The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='313782' date='Jul 21 2006, 03:23 PM
And? What's the point? Hell it makes more compromises than even our E60s. In fact those kind of cars make the most compromises. They want to be as luxurious as a luxury car but ain't, they want to be as sporty as a sports car but it ain't, they want to be offroaders too like proper offroaders but it ain't that either...and bla bla bla. The list can continue. This type of cars is the most terrible cocktail of them all, with only compromises and nothing A+ on any chapter.
I don't care it pulls as much G force as my E60 or whatever, i know it will not outbrake me, it will not outhandle me the only thing it will probably do is it will outrun me on a straight line ohhh and it will probably go through 2 inch steeper potholes. It still has the center of gravity of a block of flats whatever you do to it. Want a sports car get a sports car (eg 911), want a 4 door sedan with sporty influences get an E60, want to get the mother of all luxury get a Maybach or Rolls. They have to introduce the Jeep Grand Cherokee cabriolet and i'm sold
That's the beauty of choice. I don't want one any more than you do. But when you make your own car payments, you get to pick what you drive
Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='313782' date='Jul 21 2006, 03:23 PM
And? What's the point? Hell it makes more compromises than even our E60s. In fact those kind of cars make the most compromises. They want to be as luxurious as a luxury car but ain't, they want to be as sporty as a sports car but it ain't, they want to be offroaders too like proper offroaders but it ain't that either...and bla bla bla. The list can continue. This type of cars is the most terrible cocktail of them all, with only compromises and nothing A+ on any chapter.
I don't care it pulls as much G force as my E60 or whatever, i know it will not outbrake me, it will not outhandle me the only thing it will probably do is it will outrun me on a straight line ohhh and it will probably go through 2 inch steeper potholes. It still has the center of gravity of a block of flats whatever you do to it. Want a sports car get a sports car (eg 911), want a 4 door sedan with sporty influences get an E60, want to get the mother of all luxury get a Maybach or Rolls. They have to introduce the Jeep Grand Cherokee cabriolet and i'm sold
Hahaha you 100% sure about that?

Sounds like you're upset that they made a stupid SUV so fast and can handle so well that can out run you almost anywhere... (* I said almost...*) in certain twisty roads or certain tracks I think this Jeep will kick a lot of E60s butt because of its 4WD system it can put is power DOWN. Those differentials in the Jeep work very well... He might need to slow for a corner a little sooner take the corner a little slower but he'll exit out and blast to the next corner much faster than you.

Remember. Its all around in a track. just because you can turn better doesnt mean you'll win. Track or Twisty.

Give respect to cars trucks SUVs when they deserve it.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

While I haven't driven the SRT8, I own a 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, and even the Hemi has some incredible go to it......and, I'm amazed at how well it rides given it's weight and size. However, the seats suck....very flat, wide, and uncomfortable, and the brakes are nothing compared to the E60. I bought mine for work purposes and to have an all-surface-capable vehicle that wasn't huge like an Escalade......Tahoe.....Suburban, etc. My E60 drives/rides like a dream, but as a previous poster mentioned...the WK (Grand Cherokee) will surprise a lot of people......
Old 07-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='313792' date='Jul 21 2006, 08:10 PM
To me this JGC gets as much respect from me as the Ford F150 SVT from a few years back (oh yeah... where is that vehicle today?). The SVT had similar performance numbers as the JGC but it's still a franken truck. I wouldn't give a BMW pickup that had lots of cargo capacity any more respect either. But you're right... freedom of choice is a good thing.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I wonder if the same people here that are in disagreement with this vehicle feel the same way about the X5 4.8.....Hmmmm.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='313792' date='Jul 22 2006, 03:10 AM
Hahaha you 100% sure about that?

Sounds like you're upset that they made a stupid SUV so fast and can handle so well that can out run you almost anywhere... (* I said almost...*) in certain twisty roads or certain tracks I think this Jeep will kick a lot of E60s butt because of its 4WD system it can put is power DOWN. Those differentials in the Jeep work very well... He might need to slow for a corner a little sooner take the corner a little slower but he'll exit out and blast to the next corner much faster than you.

Remember. Its all around in a track. just because you can turn better doesnt mean you'll win. Track or Twisty.

Sorry i won't ...untill i find an SUV that will outrun me on my favorite bits of road then i will. I'd like to know what this thing is capable of on many other tracks (on the ring, TG...and many more).
Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='314050' date='Jul 23 2006, 02:30 AM
To me this JGC gets as much respect from me as the Ford F150 SVT from a few years back (oh yeah... where is that vehicle today?). The SVT had similar performance numbers as the JGC but it's still a franken truck. I wouldn't give a BMW pickup that had lots of cargo capacity any more respect either. But you're right... freedom of choice is a good thing.
Agreed!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='314266' date='Jul 24 2006, 12:34 AM
I wonder if the same people here that are in disagreement with this vehicle feel the same way about the X5 4.8.....Hmmmm.
Almost the same.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='314416' date='Jul 24 2006, 02:00 AM
Almost the same.
I reckon the little roundel on the hood and trunk of the 4.8 X5 makes it an exception to the Cayenne Turbo S, ML 63 AMG, and JGC.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='314510' date='Jul 24 2006, 12:26 PM
I reckon the little roundel on the hood and trunk of the 4.8 X5 makes it an exception to the Cayenne Turbo S, ML 63 AMG, and JGC.
Not in my book. We owned an E53 but it was over my objection. For us it was an AWD wagon and if the E39 touring was offered in AWD we might have gone with that one over the V8 X5. That said I was almost okay with the idea of the X5 when BMW still owned Land Rover and tried to sell the X5 as a street car. But once the deal was done with Ford and BMW started showing what the X5 can do on a dirt road (sorry... off road) my feelings for the X5 went south again. A compromise of three or four vehicle doesn?t make it particularly good any anything. It's nice for what it is but it NEVER drove like the E39. The ML and Cayenne are in the same boat. Nice but not in the same league as their sedan/wagon counterparts.

Quick Reply: Jeep Grand Cherokee