The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Its not competition, but I want a Nissan 370z

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

The 370z is an excellent car with good acceleration and grip. Beware of dangerous brake fade if you ever take it on an extended twtisties run. One of the major car mags ran it at a track abd crashed the car after the brake fade made the brakes fail. None of the many other cars in that comparo had such a catastrophic brake failure from fade.

And in general, Nissan sport suspensions suck. They are rock hard and good in the twisties but at the total expense of all ride comfort. I've rented the Infiniti equivalent to the Z, the G, and the suspension is a blunt, unrefined instrument; much like the supension of my departed 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
The 370z is an excellent car with good acceleration and grip. Beware of dangerous brake fade if you ever take it on an extended twtisties run. One of the major car mags ran it at a track abd crashed the car after the brake fade made the brakes fail. None of the many other cars in that comparo had such a catastrophic brake failure from fade.

And in general, Nissan sport suspensions suck. They are rock hard and good in the twisties but at the total expense of all ride comfort. I've rented the Infiniti equivalent to the Z, the G, and the suspension is a blunt, unrefined instrument; much like the supension of my departed 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport.

I'm on Koni yellow sport shocks right now with H&R sport springs. I really don't think there can be anything worse as far as ride comfort. Right now I can take a corner at 60mph, but if I hit a pebble my balls bruise.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I, for one, am not particularly fond of the 370z's look. I prefer the 350z more.

Have not driven a 370z yet, but if it's anything like the 350z, I don't like it. As sdg stated above, it's not a comfortable ride at all. Oh, and terrible terrible blind spots.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
The E46 M3 is exceptional

I would consider it the last true "M" produced by BMW.
ahhhem, S85 = last true ///M!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I'm on Koni yellow sport shocks right now with H&R sport springs. I really don't think there can be anything worse as far as ride comfort. Right now I can take a corner at 60mph, but if I hit a pebble my balls bruise.
Well Howi, if ride comfort is not in your equation, the Z might be for you. But if youdo, trash the POS factory brales with some killer aftermarket ones.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

See a lot here in and around DC; the rear diffuser mated with another contrasting color like dark orange makes it look nice
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Howitzer
This thing, to me, looks so amazing. It has the beautiful curves of a Porsche. I am really debating on getting one of these and making my 5 the daily driver to leave the Z in the garage for sunny days. Any of you drive this car yet? I saw one at a stoplight next to me and it was very intimidating. The exhaust tone was nice for a 6, the angles were gorgeous and it has a beautiful stance. Short body but wide and sporty like a Porsche. I really almost thought it was one when I first saw it from a distance. Truly a beautiful design for a "Nissan" and at a price I couldn't believe. The sticker for a Sport, Touring model 370z loaded was $39k OTD. Pretty much the same price as the 350HP nismo version but without the same body kit. I honestly prefer the non-nismo just because it has many more creature comforts inside.

Any of you impressed with this car?

The car has nice lines and all, but I can never get past the "afterthought" door handles, it just looks as though they glued them on at the last moment! Why so LITTLE attention to a detail that sticks out SO badly???
Old 04-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The 370Z is an excellent car. It is fast, it handles well and it look good. It also has an industry first in Synchro Rev Match on its manual transmission which automatically blips the throttle to perfectly rev match on downshifts - no heel and toe required, although you can turn it off if you prefer to handle these duties yourself.

Re the 370z brakes, they're much better than they are being given credit for here. If they are weak, it will only be at the limit. BMW brakes are no different, BMW (even on most M models) are not up to the rest of the car. They can't take repeated use and will fade under punishment. They are simply under-specced (floating calipers not fixed, too few pistons etc). They'll stop you first time you need them, but they aren't good enough for very hard road and (particularly) track use.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames
The 370Z is an excellent car. It is fast, it handles well and it look good. It also has an industry first in Synchro Rev Match on its manual transmission which automatically blips the throttle to perfectly rev match on downshifts - no heel and toe required, although you can turn it off if you prefer to handle these duties yourself.

Re the 370z brakes, they're much better than they are being given credit for here. If they are weak, it will only be at the limit. BMW brakes are no different, BMW (even on most M models) are not up to the rest of the car. They can't take repeated use and will fade under punishment. They are simply under-specced (floating calipers not fixed, too few pistons etc). They'll stop you first time you need them, but they aren't good enough for very hard road and (particularly) track use.
On this point I have to agree with you Steven, I was literally SHOCKED when I changed my brake pads and found there was just a single piston in the caliper - a big one to be sure, but still single. Even my wife's Subaru has 2 large pistons up front, heck even my old Jeep Cherokee had 2 up front. What is wrong with BMW?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pjinca
On this point I have to agree with you Steven, I was literally SHOCKED when I changed my brake pads and found there was just a single piston in the caliper - a big one to be sure, but still single. Even my wife's Subaru has 2 large pistons up front, heck even my old Jeep Cherokee had 2 up front. What is wrong with BMW?
Dude, even my M3 has single piston....

Quick Reply: Its not competition, but I want a Nissan 370z