The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

I test drove the Infiniti M35x

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I was at the Infiniti dealership a while back, checking out how their new M sedan was. I wanted to drive a M45 Sport, but they only had a M35x, so off we went. Basically I thought it wasn't bad. Wasn't really feeling the wood material, 80's/90's style 4 spoke steering wheel, or how their joystick was high up on the dash. I was hoping the M would have the exhaust from the G35coupe/FX35/FX45/z350 that sounds a bit like a 360 Modena with Tubi exhaust, but no. Just a typical boring sedan exhaust. Everything else seemed ok though. It drove alright. Had good weighted steering with a lot of resistance that I like. Kinda felt like a E39, which isn't a bad thing.

But here's the thing that bugged me. I had heard the Infiniti's automatic transmission will blip the throttle and rev match when you downshift. I thought that this would be the closest thing to the SMG in my car in the midsize sedan category. So I tried it a few times. It did what it was supposed to, it blips the throttle when you downshift. It wasn't as fast or responsive as SMG, but that understandable since it was an automatic. At the end of the drive, I had an overall positive impression of the M. It was a good alternative to the E60.

However, when I got out of the car, all I could smell was burnt clutch. HOLY CRAP. Not even when I was learning how to drive stick in high school did I smell a clutch this smokey. Was it the throttle blipped downshifts? I was only asking it to do what was advertised it can do. And its not like I was pushing it that hard either. No redlining, no burnouts, I was just driving it the way I drive my SMG everyday... I did a downshift to pass someone on the highway, did a few under braking before turns, etc. I didn't abuse the transmission, yet it was focked up!

I was kinda reluctant to say anything, and the salesperson didn't say anything either (maybe he was embarassed?). So that was that. To sum up, I thought the M was the best alternative to the E60 (I've driven all the other competitors too). But what was up with that transmission? Was the one I drove a lemon or something? Or are they all like that??? It seems a lot of you have driven the Infiniti M...so what's the scoop?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Nobody knows?
I thought a lot of you have driven the Infiniti M...

Anyone know a popular Infiniti M forum where I can ask this question then?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

was the one that you drove new...i have found that on most cars(espically japanese).. mostly autos that you could smell the transmission if you push for the first few times,,,and once the transmission gets fully trrained to handle a lot of revs.....it no longer gives any smell...
Old 03-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by madoon' post='249134' date='Mar 3 2006, 06:54 AM
was the one that you drove new...i have found that on most cars(espically japanese).. mostly autos that you could smell the transmission if you push for the first few times,,,and once the transmission gets fully trrained to handle a lot of revs.....it no longer gives any smell...

Most cars have a harsh smell for the first 30-40 miles. I personally like it
Old 03-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='249134' date='Mar 3 2006, 06:54 AM
It only had about 1,000 miles on it. Is that normal?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Members

i have a M, and i mess with the steptronic evreytime i drive it

my tranny doesnt smell