The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

I stand Corrected: M35 Is One Heck of a CAR!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by PoliticalAid007' post='218027
Originally Posted by PoliticalAid007' post='217830' date='Dec 31 2005, 06:36 PM
Well, I stand corrected, the M35 is quite a car. I test drove one again, and I was very impressed. The power is incredible. I was driving the base M35 with Tech and Journey Package. The car is so roomy, nice interior, and powerful. I thought there was some road noise, but nothing that bothered me. I was impressed with the handling. It drove well.

Now, in addition to the Acura TL, and the BMW 530, I am going to look seriously at the M35.

Well, I can pick up an M35 with Tech and Journey Package for about $47,000 Out the Door, which includes a California Sales Tax of 7.97%. I can pick up an Acura TL with Navigation for $35,500 Out The Door, including A California Sales Tax of 7.97%.

I can pick up an M35 Sport with Tech and Journey Package for about $49,000 Out The Door. And, I can pick up an M35X with AWD, Tech and Journey Packages for $49,500 Out the Door, including California Sales Tax of 7.97%.

I really do like the 5 Series BMW, but when you price it out against the competition, WOW, does it get EXPENSIVE. A comparable equipped 530 is about $18,000 more than an M35. I am coming to the conclusion that the 5 Series is just too over priced for what you get. Again, that is strictly my opinion. NO QUESTION, the 530 is a great car, but is $18,000 more great over an M35. I am not so sure....

I love the TL with Navigation, it looks sexy, is sporty, holds value well, is safe, has cool gadgets, and offers a great value. But I have really come to love the M35, it looks sexy, is sporty, Consumer Reports believes it will hold value well, has cool gadgets, and offers a great value for what you get.
Here are real life Prices:

2006 Acura TL with Navigation $35,500 OUT THE DOOR, which Includes California Tax of 7.97%
2006 M35 with Tech and Journey Package, $47,000 OUT THE DOOR, which includes California Tax of 7.97%
2006 M35 Sport with Tech and Journey Package, $49,000 OUT THE DOOR, which includes California Tax of 7.97%.
2006 M35X AWD, with Tech and Journey Package, $49,500 OUT THE DOOR, which includes California Tax of 7.97%
Struggling to work out how you arive at an 18,000 difference based on the prices you quoted for the M35. How did you spec the 530, and what have you got so far as an out the door price on the E60?
Well, I stand corrected again. It is a $14,000 Difference and an $11,000 differences with ED.
I am comparing Apples to Apples. In the M35 Sport for $49,000 out The Door, which includes a California Tax of 7.97% you get the following BMW Equivalent options:

BMW 530 Invoice $42770
Destination 695
Automatic 1210
Sport 2095
Premium 1640
Cold Weather 685
Heated Rear Seats 320
Fold Down Rear Seat 430
Sirius Radio 540
Navigation 1640
Active Cruise Control 2000
Comfort Access 910
Rear Door Airbag 350
Premium Sound 1640
Purchase over Invoice 1000
Tax
Registration 490

Total $63,031.
M35 with same options $49000
Difference $14,031

I suppose if you did ED, you could not another $3,000 grand off the difference, assuming you flew over, stayed one night, then flew back. Taking those costs into consideration, I guess the 530i would cost you about $60,0000 OTD. So, with ED:

BMW 530i With All Same Options bought ED - costs of flying roundtrip and staying one night.
OTD Price $60,000

M35 Sport OTD $49,000

Difference $11,000

Well, $11,000 to to $14,000 is quite a difference. I guess the question should be: Is the BMW 530i worth that much more over the M35? After driving the M35, I am not quite sure the BMW is worth the price premium. I will definitely drive both cars again to make another comparison, because I am very intrigued by the M35. I think Nissan Inc. did a great job with this car. But, I have always loved BMW's, so I need to compare again.

[/quote]
I am too straight-line performance oriented to not buy the M35 over the other cars. I didn't even consider a 3-Series because of my performance preference.

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='218092
I am sure it is a great car with lots of performance and very reliable.....but I can't stand stand the smell of the interior! It smells like cheap plasic. There is nothing like the smell of the BMW leather!!!!!!
I understand what you are saying. But, I too am impressed with the new M35/M45. I am going to check one out. The money savings cannot be denied. And, the performance of the M35/M45 cannot be denied. I also think they look classy. As classy as the 530i, well, I am not sure. But, looks are subjective.

Now, Infiniti does not have the Image of the BMW Badge, but hey I believe a car can speak for itself. BMW earned their reputation, maybe Infiniti is now earning their reputation. I am looking forward to checking out the M35/M45 and 530i back to back. It is nice to have both Dealerships right next to each other.
[/quote]I am not sold on the looks of the 3-Series vis-a-vis the 5-Series, particularly the tail lights.

Originally Posted by PoliticalAid007' post='218106
Originally Posted by bitboy' post='218059' date='Jan 1 2006, 03:20 PM
I am sure it is a great car with lots of performance and very reliable.....but I can't stand stand the smell of the interior! It smells like cheap plasic. There is nothing like the smell of the BMW leather!!!!!!
I understand what you are saying. But, I too am impressed with the new M35/M45. I am going to check one out. The money savings cannot be denied. And, the performance of the M35/M45 cannot be denied. I also think they look classy. As classy as the 530i, well, I am not sure. But, looks are subjective.

Now, Infiniti does not have the Image of the BMW Badge, but hey I believe a car can speak for itself. BMW earned their reputation, maybe Infiniti is now earning their reputation. I am looking forward to checking out the M35/M45 and 530i back to back. It is nice to have both Dealerships right next to each other.
I am struggling with this decision. But, it is a good struggle. I love BMW's, always have loved them. And, I think the Acura TL offers a great value at that price point, Although, it really is not in the same league as an M35 or BMW 530. The M35 and 530i are true luxury/sport sedans.

The Luxury/Sport Sedan Market in this range now offers some GREAT CHOICES. It is not like years before, where there was really no choice or decision at all. Now, the consumer has plenty of choices, which is a good thing for us all. But, also can lead to fun but tough decision making.

In all honesty, I was very surprised when I gave the M35 a good look and a good test drive. I could not understand how Nissan could offer so much for so much less than an equivalent equipped 530i. Again, the difference is about $14,000. The M35 also comes with a 3.5L V6 280 Horsepower Engine.

Heck, a fully Loaded M45 Sport, can be purchased for about $,5000 grand less than an equivalent 530i. And, a M45 Non Sport fully loaded can be had for about $7,500 less than an equivalent 530i. And, the M45 comes with a 4.5L V8 335 Horsepower Engine. So, again, I was just amazed at the value, quality, and performance of the M35/45. I believe in the next redesign of the 5 Series, you will see BMW offering a lot more standard bells and whistles and a 3.5L Engine. BMW is being pushed. As a person who loves BMW's, the only thing I see missing from the M35/M45 is the BMW Badge.

So, I will have fun test driving the M35, M45 and BMW 530i again, hopefully tomorrow in between College Football Bowl Games! I love College Football, so I have to time my day out. But, I am looking forward to driving all cars again.
[/quote]Yep, no way I would buy a 530i over an M45. Have fun.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I think you should buy the M35/M45. Based on your posts if you bought the BMW I suspect you'll never get over the buyers remorse because of price difference, I'd go for the M45. As a previous Infiniti owner I can tell you that the difference in price does start to become a little more understandable after you've lived with it for a while. The powertrain is very good in the Infiniti but there are corners cut to get the price where it is. Also, if it's important to you, you will lose out a lot on image and prestige with the Infiniti - at this level of car that's a serious consideration as it impacts resale and is really why Infiniti is having to sell the car cheaper as that's their differentiator.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by PoliticalAid007' post='218106
Originally Posted by bitboy' post='218059' date='Jan 1 2006, 03:20 PM

I am struggling with this decision. But, it is a good struggle. I love BMW's, always have loved them. And, I think the Acura TL offers a great value at that price point, Although, it really is not in the same league as an M35 or BMW 530. The M35 and 530i are true luxury/sport sedans.

The Luxury/Sport Sedan Market in this range now offers some GREAT CHOICES. It is not like years before, where there was really no choice or decision at all. Now, the consumer has plenty of choices, which is a good thing for us all. But, also can lead to fun but tough decision making.

In all honesty, I was very surprised when I gave the M35 a good look and a good test drive. I could not understand how Nissan could offer so much for so much less than an equivalent equipped 530i. Again, the difference is about $14,000. The M35 also comes with a 3.5L V6 280 Horsepower Engine.

Heck, a fully Loaded M45 Sport, can be purchased for about $,5000 grand less than an equivalent 530i. And, a M45 Non Sport fully loaded can be had for about $7,500 less than an equivalent 530i. And, the M45 comes with a 4.5L V8 335 Horsepower Engine. So, again, I was just amazed at the value, quality, and performance of the M35/45. I believe in the next redesign of the 5 Series, you will see BMW offering a lot more standard bells and whistles and a 3.5L Engine. BMW is being pushed. As a person who loves BMW's, the only thing I see missing from the M35/M45 is the BMW Badge.

So, I will have fun test driving the M35, M45 and BMW 530i again, hopefully tomorrow in between College Football Bowl Games! I love College Football, so I have to time my day out. But, I am looking forward to driving all cars again.
[/quote]

Understand where you're coming from. BMWs sell at a premium but enjoyment and high satisfaction command a higher price. Two important considerations, BMWs have the best residuals and very attractive leases rates. Factor this into your cost decision.

Back in 03, I was really excited about the Infinitis when G35s rolled in. Great performance and price. However, the interior was a huge letdown, and I just visualized how cheap it might look 2 to 3 years down the road. Later. As for the M cars, apparently these are great cars in terms of performance price. Car reviews rank them at the top of thier lists. But, read the reviews, these focus on the peformance and price only. The drivers are never in love. Its the hugely forgettable interior and exterior. IMHO, the exterior looks like an over inflated G35 (being build off the same platform), lacking any distinctive feature. In two years time, Ms will look completely ordinary (Nissan like). If you buy it, you just might remember reading this post from CVT Benhogan.

In closing, check out the lease rate and monthly payments. If dollar cost is the only key, yes the BMW is more expensive. You could trim off non-driving options such as NAV and L7. The tech features are probably the first to fade in terms of real value. Do you need voice command when your blasting around on Saturday morning for a quick drive? Alternatively, check out a fairly loaded A6 3.2 at $50K, its a much better car IMHO and the its interior blows the M away. Its exterior will age gracefully and, interestinlgy, a few recent reviews rated the A6 as thier top pick. As for Acura, the TL is nice for Accord buyer but its a FWD car. The RL is a complete disaster and its sales are weak. Have you considered a BMW 330 sport or a Lexus 350? These cars will have residuals that will destroy any M, not to mentioned exteriors and interior that are light years nicer than, you know.

Just my two cents.

PS. You could wait and save your money for a Porshce Cayman.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

CVT, i agree with some statements you've mentioned except the audi one, audi lose value faster than you can "The Ultimate Driving Machine" @ least in the states (why only God knows).
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Simple1' post='218377' date='Jan 2 2006, 05:29 PM
CVT, i agree with some statements you've mentioned except the audi one, audi lose value faster than you can "The Ultimate Driving Machine" @ least in the states (why only God knows).

Do not agree, at least for an A4. A8 residuals I will admit are bad. We have 2003 3.0 A4, which has held its value quite well. After 36 months of ownership and 10K per year of mileage, a conservative selling price (reference KB would give a 64% residual. Impressive. The price I'd go for would give 69%.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

no matter what it's still Japanese. Gotta go German dude!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='218393

Do not agree, at least for an A4. A8 residuals I will admit are bad. We have 2003 3.0 A4, which has held its value quite well. After 36 months of ownership and 10K per year of mileage, a conservative selling price (reference KB would give a 64% residual. Impressive. The price I'd go for would give 69%.

CVT Benhogan
[/quote]
Same car here but in Cabrio form. Wife is still pleased but some interior nits with flaking button paint. But only that to complain about. Been a great car, but I am hoping the M3 or even an E90 Cabrio hits soon enough to tempt her to BMW. But its gotta be RED, really RED to get her attention. I've had several dealers after me to trade this car and I have to say they have been mighty tempting on their values. She averages about 8000 miles a year for our 38 months. Would not be disappointed if we went Audi again.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributors

....dont you think that $50K to pay for a nissan maxima is quite expensive? Infiniti can call it what they want, the reason the cost is lower is that it is a lower value car....when platforms and equiptment are shared with many cars as Nissan does, the overall product is less valuable and the quality is lackluster...as others have posted, since this IS a BMW board, i will tell you that the only thing subjectively better between the cars you are comparing the E60 to would be the price...the E60 is a luxury-sports sedan, and the others are japanese copies of what they think they can sell in the segment. I still dont know where people come off comparing a nissan to a class leader like the 5 series? The nissan is quicker, but who cares? Do you drag race in your car? I dont think you will find the feeling that the car is slow or anything in the 530i, ...the nissan cant handle for anything, and a year later they really look like crap inside and out...many of my friends and family go the infiniti or lexus route to try to show some 'prestige' and i laugh all the time (to myself of course)...how toyota and nissan or honda for that matter have tricked so many with their pricing is so much fun....they look ok inside and out, as to not offend or trend set, but they are not driving machines and they are not performance machines made by a company who's sole goal is driving pleasure....the japanese cars have alot of bells and whistles, but i must say that everyone that i know that has them (and its alot of people), once they sit in my car, they instantly fall in love with what a car should look like, both inside and out, and of course the feel of the drive and the steering is so tight and perfect...if you are honestly in the market for the mid-sized luxury sports saloon to drive seriously and impress at the same time, there is only one car for you to choose...the E60...now if the price is the problem, then just accept that you are not willing or able to get the best, but dont try to fool yourself into believing that those other japanese cars are on the same playing field, because they are not.... good luck PoliticalAid007
Old 01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

nicely said m630.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' post='219133' date='Jan 4 2006, 10:32 AM
....dont you think that $50K to pay for a nissan maxima is quite expensive? Infiniti can call it what they want, the reason the cost is lower is that it is a lower value car....when platforms and equiptment are shared with many cars as Nissan does, the overall product is less valuable and the quality is lackluster...as others have posted, since this IS a BMW board, i will tell you that the only thing subjectively better between the cars you are comparing the E60 to would be the price...the E60 is a luxury-sports sedan, and the others are japanese copies of what they think they can sell in the segment. I still dont know where people come off comparing a nissan to a class leader like the 5 series? The nissan is quicker, but who cares? Do you drag race in your car? I dont think you will find the feeling that the car is slow or anything in the 530i, ...the nissan cant handle for anything, and a year later they really look like crap inside and out...many of my friends and family go the infiniti or lexus route to try to show some 'prestige' and i laugh all the time (to myself of course)...how toyota and nissan or honda for that matter have tricked so many with their pricing is so much fun....they look ok inside and out, as to not offend or trend set, but they are not driving machines and they are not performance machines made by a company who's sole goal is driving pleasure....the japanese cars have alot of bells and whistles, but i must say that everyone that i know that has them (and its alot of people), once they sit in my car, they instantly fall in love with what a car should look like, both inside and out, and of course the feel of the drive and the steering is so tight and perfect...if you are honestly in the market for the mid-sized luxury sports saloon to drive seriously and impress at the same time, there is only one car for you to choose...the E60...now if the price is the problem, then just accept that you are not willing or able to get the best, but dont try to fool yourself into believing that those other japanese cars are on the same playing field, because they are not.... good luck PoliticalAid007
The maxima is front wheel drive while the M-series is rear wheel drive which means the two have entirely different platforms. The maxima is a front engine, front wheel drive car which shares a platform with the altima and murano. The M35/M45 on the other hand, uses the front engine, rear wheel drive FM platform which it shares with the FX, G35 and 350Z. Nissan shares platforms and engines to make it more profitable for them, but I wouldn't say that takes away from the car. BMW shares equipment and engines as well. That 4.5 liter V8 in your 645 as you know, can all be found in the 545 and the 745. Does that make it any less of an engine? Need I mention the active steering, logic 7, comfort access and active cruise control that can now be found in the entry level 3-series.

The e60 may be the better handling car, but that needs to be put into perspective as the average e60 owner will never explore those limits. So if one just wants a decent performer that gets them from point a to point b, then why not save a little money in the process while still getting a quality car. Now I do think the e60 is a better car is this aspect, but if it were to come down to a race, it would all come down to the driver.

Stating that an infiniti will never be a BMW is true, but I don't think that means much. If one is after prestige, then might as well save up as a stock e60 or even an e63 doesn't really impress. Someone mentioned image and prestige, well I don't know about anyone else, but I feel the same whether I'm driving a $60K BMW or a $30K japanese car.

In my mind, the biggest drawback to the M45 is that it only comes in an automatic.

Quick Reply: I stand Corrected: M35 Is One Heck of a CAR!