The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

I feel so poor...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin_bimmer' post='955161' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:58 PM
So last night we were in mall. I parked my E39 530i between a 325i and VW Touareg. At that moment, I felt classier, I felt more posh than the other 2. But when we were leaving, my car was parked between a silver 645Ci and black Range Rover. And at that moment, I felt so poor.

I live in a "somewhat posh" village. My neighbors have old E320s and some of them have X5s or 3ers. Some other people in that village S350s or Range Rovers. I am usually around old C180s or old CLKs that is why I am not used to being around super expensive luxury cars.

I just learned that someone will always be richer than you, someone will always be more successful than you and someone will always be in a higher position than you.

Have you experienced something like this?

Man made the money. Money never made the man.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by cruisin_bimmer' post='955161' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:58 AM
So last night we were in mall. I parked my E39 530i between a 325i and VW Touareg. At that moment, I felt classier, I felt more posh than the other 2. But when we were leaving, my car was parked between a silver 645Ci and black Range Rover. And at that moment, I felt so poor.

I live in a "somewhat posh" village. My neighbors have old E320s and some of them have X5s or 3ers. Some other people in that village S350s or Range Rovers. I am usually around old C180s or old CLKs that is why I am not used to being around super expensive luxury cars.

I just learned that someone will always be richer than you, someone will always be more successful than you and someone will always be in a higher position than you.

Have you experienced something like this?

+1 on living YOUR life....

I was at the light yesterday driving home from the cafe; Orange Gallardo pulls up next me.. light turns green, he takes off like a bat out of hell.....wonder if he knew about the 30 pot holes 100m ahead of us?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributors

You know not a lot of people have the priviledge to drive a BMW.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by theXman' post='955185' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:11 AM
Then again, this is all just money. You should be happy that you have your health and a family that loves you.
+1
Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='955685' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:01 PM
wow. is that an LL Cool J quote?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

I know for my age, 20, most kids are lucky to have a car at a third of the price of mine. So I'm definitely fortunate. To I wish for an M5, or some other ridiculous exotic? Yeah, but who on here doesn't from time to time? You get the M5, then you want the Aston. You get the Aston, you want the Ferrari. It's a never-ending cycle, and after a while, the more you get, the less satisfied you become. What is it, law of diminishing returns?

I'm more performance oriented, meaning I didn't ask for my car because it was expensive and wanted to show the other kids up. It just so happened... the car I wanted was sixty grand and at the same time the performance I wanted. I'm happy for that, but if some kid my age gets an M5, I know I won't be jealous and if some kid my age were to get a Kia Rio with no options, I wouldn't look down on him. Part of that has to do with the stereotype that BMW drivers are arrogant cocks, and I try to avoid being put into that. The guys on here seem like good guys too, so maybe it's a false one. But I don't show anyone up on the road unless they try to play with me, and even then, I don't give them much thought. It's nice you have a 370Z and you want to rev it, but sometimes you know it's only because you have a Bimmer and not a Ford Focus.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='955173
eh. i used to feel like that. when i was young and lived on long island. it was the way of life.

now i live in tampa, i make almost 3 times the average tampa income here and drive a 5 series. in all actuallity i am better the everyone from a fiscal standpoint, but that should never be a determining factor in deciding who is better then someone. I am happy with what I have acheived and proud of what I do for a living, proud of what I drive. I wear that on my sleve. It is percieved as confidence and not pretentiousness (spelling). That's how should portray their financial standing. I personally dont envy anyone, I may admire other peoples financial status and aspire to reach the level they have, but i will never place that above moral standing, nor will i ever comprimise my integrity to meet those goals.

anyway, I am proud of what I have, I may admire what others have, but I dont envy material items. I am very materialistic and hope to achieve the ultimate financial success, but I will never feel poor, because I am morally rich, and that is more important than any amount of money one can have.

...stepping back off my soapbox (second time tonight)
Craig's right - its all about how you live your life for you - don't worry about what others have. If not for any other reason, then just because there will always be someone richer than you - regardless of how rich you are. If you continue feeling this inadequacy, you'll have a hard time being happy. And hey, life is much more about happiness, than money (though they do kinda go hand in hand most of the time ).

Originally Posted by theXman' post='955185' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:11 AM
Then again, this is all just money. You should be happy that you have your health and a family that loves you.
I'm accepting money from everyone who listens to David and decides to get rid of their Earthly possessions, btw
Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KU530' post='955502
Wise words!

Originally Posted by E60714' post='956417' date='Jul 28 2009, 02:23 AM
I know for my age, 20, most kids are lucky to have a car at a third of the price of mine. So I'm definitely fortunate. To I wish for an M5, or some other ridiculous exotic? Yeah, but who on here doesn't from time to time? You get the M5, then you want the Aston. You get the Aston, you want the Ferrari. It's a never-ending cycle, and after a while, the more you get, the less satisfied you become. What is it, law of diminishing returns?

I'm more performance oriented, meaning I didn't ask for my car because it was expensive and wanted to show the other kids up. It just so happened... the car I wanted was sixty grand and at the same time the performance I wanted. I'm happy for that, but if some kid my age gets an M5, I know I won't be jealous and if some kid my age were to get a Kia Rio with no options, I wouldn't look down on him. Part of that has to do with the stereotype that BMW drivers are arrogant cocks, and I try to avoid being put into that. The guys on here seem like good guys too, so maybe it's a false one. But I don't show anyone up on the road unless they try to play with me, and even then, I don't give them much thought. It's nice you have a 370Z and you want to rev it, but sometimes you know it's only because you have a Bimmer and not a Ford Focus.
You write like that in school too? Dam, bro ^that's like a book!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 528i Lexus LS460 Lexus GX470 Lexus RX300 Silversport

Originally Posted by E60714' post='956417' date='Jul 27 2009, 11:23 PM

Tell me about it. I'm in the same boat as you, and I don't have the E60 to myself lol. Then again I get to use all 5 (maybe down to 4 only in a couple months) cars we have so I can't complain.

Money and cars will only bring you a certain happiness. Long story short, there's a girl I like and I told her, yes I was VERY HAPPY to be able to have the 528i and still keep the Lexus GX470 in the garage, along with other daily commuters like the 2 hondas we have and a Toyota 4Runner because back in the day we couldn't really afford to maintain our old Lexus RX300 when we wanted the new Lexus GX470 when we first heard about it. To think, the RX300 was only about a $35k car, along with the $50k GX470, and that seemed impossible for us! Now we've been fortunate enough to still keep the GX, still have other two "beater" Hondas, still maintain the 4Runner, AND add the 528i as an "extra" car.

But I told her, these things will only bring a certain happiness. The health of you and your family, and the love and care you get and give to your family, PRICELESS..

Think of it this way, cars will not give you complete happiness because BMW will always refresh and redesign this freakin E60! Heck, who knew in 08 when they got LED blinkers that they would put more buttons for the iDrive on the 09? Or that the 10 has a slightly bigger screen and a more user friendly Navi system? You will never be able to catch up, car companies always win.

But with a person or family you love, the person will NEVER change (usually, unless you let the person ruin his/her life but still you should still love that person). The "design or features" of that person will always be unique and will never change. He/she won't have a bigger Navi screen or LED this and that someday, if you get what I mean?

So feel blessed and lucky that you drive a BMW and you are hanging out in a great community like this one you are in. There will always be someone who's ahead of you, and someone who's below you and you just have to be grateful for what you have.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GX528i' post='956463' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:21 AM
Tell me about it. I'm in the same boat as you, and I don't have the E60 to myself lol. Then again I get to use all 5 (maybe down to 4 only in a couple months) cars we have so I can't complain.

Money and cars will only bring you a certain happiness. Long story short, there's a girl I like and I told her, yes I was VERY HAPPY to be able to have the 528i and still keep the Lexus GX470 in the garage, along with other daily commuters like the 2 hondas we have and a Toyota 4Runner because back in the day we couldn't really afford to maintain our old Lexus RX300 when we wanted the new Lexus GX470 when we first heard about it. To think, the RX300 was only about a $35k car, along with the $50k GX470, and that seemed impossible for us! Now we've been fortunate enough to still keep the GX, still have other two "beater" Hondas, still maintain the 4Runner, AND add the 528i as an "extra" car.

But I told her, these things will only bring a certain happiness. The health of you and your family, and the love and care you get and give to your family, PRICELESS..

Think of it this way, cars will not give you complete happiness because BMW will always refresh and redesign this freakin E60! Heck, who knew in 08 when they got LED blinkers that they would put more buttons for the iDrive on the 09? Or that the 10 has a slightly bigger screen and a more user friendly Navi system? You will never be able to catch up, car companies always win.

But with a person or family you love, the person will NEVER change (usually, unless you let the person ruin his/her life but still you should still love that person). The "design or features" of that person will always be unique and will never change. He/she won't have a bigger Navi screen or LED this and that someday, if you get what I mean?

So feel blessed and lucky that you drive a BMW and you are hanging out in a great community like this one you are in. There will always be someone who's ahead of you, and someone who's below you and you just have to be grateful for what you have.
I would've post whored and made this^ into at least 10 different posts

Quick Reply: I feel so poor...