The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

I feel so poor...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 BMW 540i(E39) 2007 BMW 335i(E92) 2008 BMW X5 xDrive30i

So last night we were in mall. I parked my E39 530i between a 325i and VW Touareg. At that moment, I felt classier, I felt more posh than the other 2. But when we were leaving, my car was parked between a silver 645Ci and black Range Rover. And at that moment, I felt so poor.

I live in a "somewhat posh" village. My neighbors have old E320s and some of them have X5s or 3ers. Some other people in that village S350s or Range Rovers. I am usually around old C180s or old CLKs that is why I am not used to being around super expensive luxury cars.

I just learned that someone will always be richer than you, someone will always be more successful than you and someone will always be in a higher position than you.

Have you experienced something like this?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by cruisin_bimmer' post='955161' date='Jul 26 2009, 09:58 PM
So last night we were in mall. I parked my E39 530i between a 325i and VW Touareg. At that moment, I felt classier, I felt more posh than the other 2. But when we were leaving, my car was parked between a silver 645Ci and black Range Rover. And at that moment, I felt so poor.

I live in a "somewhat posh" village. My neighbors have old E320s and some of them have X5s or 3ers. Some other people in that village S350s or Range Rovers. I am usually around old C180s or old CLKs that is why I am not used to being around super expensive luxury cars.

I just learned that someone will always be richer than you, someone will always be more successful than you and someone will always be in a higher position than you.

Not to worry, I used to have a house in Englewood, New Jersey. If you want to feel poor buy a house a block and a half from Eddie Murphy's former compound called "Bubble Hill" not to mention being sandwiched between Teaneck, Alpine, and Englewood Cliffs (all 3 the nothing but million $$$ homes). It is truly humbling, no matter how successful you think you are someone is ALWAYS richer (unless you're Bill Gates - $70+ billion means you win ).
One time a friend came to visit me for lunch, he thought he was "ballin" in his new Audi A6 - until he parked in front of the restaurant we were meeting at. When we met up he said "Damn here my car looks like a Camry, nothing but Lexus MB, Porsche, Range Rovers, and BMW"
Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributors

eh. i used to feel like that. when i was young and lived on long island. it was the way of life.

now i live in tampa, i make almost 3 times the average tampa income here and drive a 5 series. in all actuallity i am better the everyone from a fiscal standpoint, but that should never be a determining factor in deciding who is better then someone. I am happy with what I have acheived and proud of what I do for a living, proud of what I drive. I wear that on my sleve. It is percieved as confidence and not pretentiousness (spelling). That's how should portray their financial standing. I personally dont envy anyone, I may admire other peoples financial status and aspire to reach the level they have, but i will never place that above moral standing, nor will i ever comprimise my integrity to meet those goals.

anyway, I am proud of what I have, I may admire what others have, but I dont envy material items. I am very materialistic and hope to achieve the ultimate financial success, but I will never feel poor, because I am morally rich, and that is more important than any amount of money one can have.

...stepping back off my soapbox (second time tonight)
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by cruisin_bimmer' post='955161' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:58 AM

That should be the drive for your effort to continue to be more successful, shouldn't it?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Then again, this is all just money. You should be happy that you have your health and a family that loves you.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='955175' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:06 PM
eh. i used to feel like that. when i was young and lived on long island. it was the way of life.

now i live in tampa, i make almost 3 times the average tampa income here and drive a 5 series. in all actuallity i am better the everyone from a fiscal standpoint, but that should never be a determining factor in deciding who is better then someone. I am happy with what I have acheived and proud of what I do for a living, proud of what I drive. I wear that on my sleve. It is percieved as confidence and not pretentiousness (spelling). That's how should portray their financial standing. I personally dont envy anyone, I may admire other peoples financial status and aspire to reach the level they have, but i will never place that above moral standing, nor will i ever comprimise my integrity to meet those goals.

anyway, I am proud of what I have, I may admire what others have, but I dont envy material items. I am very materialistic and hope to achieve the ultimate financial success, but I will never feel poor, because I am morally rich, and that is more important than any amount of money one can have.

...stepping back off my soapbox (second time tonight)

+1 Craig, I completely agree, none of us has anything to be ashamed about. I know I feel very proud of what I've achieved and look forward to much more, not because someone has more than me, but simply because of where I want to be - not just fiscally, but as a father and husband as well. My true measure of success will be when my boys are upstanding, hard working, and productive members of society, not necessarily what I have.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by cruisin_bimmer' post='955161' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:58 AM

Nope. Stuff like that does not bother me.

This reminds me when I was in Zurich a couple of years ago I witnessed a man feeding a parking meter on the street.
The car he just parallel parked between an Opel and my Trailbalzer?

An Aston Martin DB9
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

a car or amount of money he/she has does not determine their level of success. Maybe their parents paid for it or they have family money or that is all the money they have. Who really gives a hoot. i live in area where teenagers have 50-80k cars. The e39 is a super nice car and i would sport than a lot of new cars on the road.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Wow if you measure your life by the type car you drive or the size of your house, then my friend you have a very empty life. Just remember that these material things can be taken away just as quickly as they were attained. I hope that you are able to look past what the people around you have and be content with what you are provided.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Stop comparing yourself to others ... It's not healthy both in mind and spirit.
Be happy with what you have

Originally Posted by theXman' post='955185' date='Jul 27 2009, 12:11 AM
Then again, this is all just money. You should be happy that you have your health and a family that loves you.
+1 well said.

Quick Reply: I feel so poor...